I think I like this! - midlifecrisis
Saw the new Mazda 6 close up for the first time today. It was a sport model in copper red and I thought it looked great. So much more original than the mundane Mondeo. I could well be tempted when the time comes for a replacement of the faithful Pug (I had a 2.0d 5 series as a definite, but I really like this).

Any comments from current owners.
I think I like this! - Ian7
you probably won't be disappointed and would save a packet compared to a BMW

it is not as fast or refined but you get what you pay for. What you do get is a comfortable and sporty drive in a very smart package which I think will not date (like the Mondeo and Laguna will). The hatchback boot is huge so there is no reason to get an estate unless you have a dog or too.

I have the Ts2 2.0D so has the equipment you need like the excellent bluetooth system. One thing that I wish I had now is parking sensors due to poor rear visibility. Its quite hard to park but getting better with practice. But you need to spend 2 grand more to buy the sport or SL.

fuel consumption is good - I drive on slow roads with some stopping and starting and get mid 40s MPG - I have managed 54.5 on one journey!

Gear change could be better between first and second but other than that I have no problems.
I think I like this! - BrutalDeluxe
I agree with the rear parking sensors recommendation. I ordered my TS2 with rear parking sensors fitted (dealer fit) and they are well worth it. I am still hovering at around 43MPG but it's gradually going up.

The only other niggle I have is that the air-con doesn't seem to actually keep the temperature constant, I am forever having to drop the temperature below 15 degrees to get the fans to blow some cool air in.

Overall though, I love the car, and would whole-heartedly recommend it.
I think I like this! - Ian7
How much was the parking sensors?

my air con works well - far better than the golf 2-Zone system I had which kept blowing hot and cold wildy so I never used the auto function

The mazda has a sunlight sensor to help adjust the aircon as well as ambient temperature so if the sensor is faulty the aircon temp is not correctly set lower.

I think I like this! - Round The Bend
Agree MLC. I saw one the other day and was impressed. It has a Lexus sort of poise.
I think I like this! - BrutalDeluxe
Sorry, I don't know how much the parking sensors were the lease company 'threw them in'. They looked like they were official one's though rather than the stick on ones from JML.

I'm wondering if the sunlight sensor is linked to the AUTO lights too, that's why they don't change when I put my hand over it. If this is faulty it could be the reason why my lights and my aircon are playing up. Thanks for the tip.

It's in the garage next week to have the parking sensors painted (they didn't have any of that new 'Silver Lilac' paint when it was delivered), so I'll get them to take a look.
I think I like this! - Dunwerkin
I don't know if this chat is cold now but I like the new 6 too - in fact I am having a test drive later today - BUT I was brought up a bit short yesterday when I found the thread in the Technical forum with regards to unreliability of the previous models diesel engine. Not a comfortable read. Just search Technical forum for Mazda 6.

Does anyone have any thoughts or pearls of comfort on this or am I just worrying too much. I always thought that Mazda had a great reliability record??!!

Edited by Webmaster on 04/05/2008 at 16:37

I think I like this! - Dude - {P}
The petrol engined Mazdas are extremely reliable, but the diesel engines are sourced from Ford, which accounts for the reliability problems with the last model 6.

I am not wholly sure if the latest model is still powered by Ford`s diesel or whether Mazda have developed their own engines. Perhaps someone could confirm either way.