1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Falkirk Bairn
No Nissan Dealer in Falkirk (closed few years back) so phone around for 1st service within say 20 miles.

How much for 1st Service?

Privately Owned Franchise ( 5 outlets/several franchises) £217
Privately Owned Franchise (single outlet) £167
Large Chain (100s outlets and multiple franchises) £178
Med Chain (multiple franchises) £146

10 minutes on the phone and there is£61 between bottom and top price and all give the Nissan Stamp in the book.

The cheapest offered lift into local town centre + phone for pickup after 2-3 hours.
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - geoff1248
Did exactly the same for the first service on our Note. Rang around and saved £65 between three Nissan dealers in a 50 mile radius and got the Nissan stamp in the service book. Although I must admit that Nissan dealers are getting few and far between and one of these dealers has now closed. Is this just Nissan or are other dealers closing down?
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Falkirk Bairn
Lots of Nissan sites disappearing - Edinburgh & Lothians has only 1 site near Pencuik - there were 2/3 within the boundaries of Edinburgh a few years back.

In the west of Scotland most seem to be Arnold Clark - the cheapest I found was Parks @ Coatbridge
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - jc2
Same with most cars.Even the same dealer differs between branches.

Edited by jc2 on 22/04/2008 at 13:44

1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Dwight Van Driver
£340 for a three year service and MOT last year.

Price according to major or minor service requirements so there is variation.

dvd
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Bill Payer
Make sure the prices quoted include VAT (unless you're up for a big argument when you pick it up - I always am!).

My other beef with servicing is; why is the bill never the same as they quote!? Usually it's bit more, now and again it's a bit less.
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - PhilW
Even more difference with an independent - my quote from my local dealer for for my car (Citroen not a Nissan) second year service was £210. Asked my local chap who has looked after our other car for years and he quoted me £105. Was a bit dubious, but he assured me (and I knew anyway) that he uses all Cit genuine parts/oil/filters etc) so I took the plunge - don't know if it was the right decision but I trust him to do a good job - was I right? Time will tell. Bill was same as quote!
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Optimist
This thread ties in to quite a few other recent threads.

1) If you're not worried by the cost of VED or fuel tax increases in the overall cost of running a car, why be worried about £100 difference in the cost of a service?

2) Since you don't have to get the car serviced by the franchised dealer provided genuine parts are used, why worry about Nissan (say) stamps in the service record?

3) Even if you do have a complete main dealer service history, that same main dealer will disregard it when he offers you a p/ex price. Or at least offer you a price that doesn't appear to take it into account.

So after the warranty runs out, arguably at least, money spent on servicing is pretty much money wasted, apart from routine oil and filter and safety checks. There is a small benefit in trying to retain some goodwill with your franchised dealer so that he will approach the manufacturer on your behalf with an out of warranty claim. But it's a fairly expensive bet.

HJ often makes the point that if you go to the franchised dealer with the extensive premises and significant overhead, he has to charge more just to stay in business.
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - scrapmetal
Its worth noting that nissan have recently revised their servicing schedule to only change pollen filters every 2 years, this can make a big difference on your service costs, also if you have to pay for screen wash and fuel additives this can make big differences.
2) Since you don't have to get the car serviced by the franchised dealer provided
genuine parts are used why worry about Nissan (say) stamps in the service record?

The overall thrust of your post is right of course. Fine if you know a good local garage you can take the car too, but if not, then you're in the lap of Gods.

Also, there's often 1 or 2 liitle warranty items that need doing (especially at the first year service) and, particularly if it's a newish model, there might be non-urgent "recall" work that needs doing.
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - injection doc
Very common scenario. Quote from Jag in the South east for 1st service £520 & £460 miles from another dealer 50miles away but £ 260 from a main dealer in the south west so worth a day's drive.
Doc
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Billy Whizz
>1) If you're not worried by the cost of VED or fuel tax increases in the overall cost of running a car, why be worried about £100 difference in the cost of a service?

You're comparing two different things: 10 minutes on the phone can save £100 with the (same) service. The same large savings apply to annual insurance quotes. You cannot phone around and get £100 off your VED or fuel tax in 10 minutes.
Sweeping generalisation, but men probably do worry about these things far too much. My wife goes to the supermarket that suits her - she doesn't go to the cheapest.
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - madf
I'm sorry but it's your duty as a consumer to keep Mr Brown's Gov't afloat by paying inflated prices ffor everything so to maximise tax receipts. :-)

Anyone who has any financial nous knows that there is a tradeoff betwen time spent looking for a cheaper product and money saved.

if you can save over £20 for 10 minutes phoning around, that's brilliant and worth doing.

At times of rising inflation anyone who pays £100 too much has more money than financial sense imo.

Successful and planned supermarket buying can save £100s a year : SWMBO who controls and records these things reckonned she saved over £1,000 last year by selective buying. She then asked for a payrise to which the reply was she did not merit one as the target was £1100.

The doctor says the injuries are not life threatening.
:-)

Edited by madf on 23/04/2008 at 10:44

Bill Payer said: >>Also, there's often 1 or 2 liitle warranty items that need doing (especially at the first year service) and, particularly if it's a newish model, there might be non-urgent "recall" work that needs doing.>>

I agree. It's a trade-off. No-one's commented on my third point: that a full service history with dealer stamps doesn't necessarily get reflected in the p/ex come time to change. Any thoughts?
Any thoughts?

My impression is that it depends on the make - I've never had it queried when p/x-ing wifey's car, but I now run a Merc and I gather that on the likes on Merc/BMW/Lexus etc they do make a fuss if the service history isn't with a franchised dealer.
With Merc, non-franchise service invalidates the 30yr Mobilio warranty, which in practice isn't worth much, but does give some level of pan-european emergency breakdown cover.
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - niceguyeddy
I agree. It's a trade-off. No-one's commented on my third point: that a full service history with dealer stamps doesn't necessarily get reflected in the p/ex come time to change. Any thoughts?

A lot depends on what the dealer has planned for the car eg if its a prime retail stock say under 3 year old done average miles then so long as its serviced by someone with a nice row of stamps in the book then we dont care less...... however if the car is something premium BMW Merc Audi VW or a top of the range car in the normal run of the mill leauge then it will hit the price hard as the dealer is very restricted in how he can retail the car
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - jbif

In reply to Optimist:
1) If you're not worried by the cost of VED or fuel tax increases in the overall cost of running a car, why be worried about £100 difference in the cost of a service?

What is the basis of your statement " not worried by the cost of VED or fuel tax increases "?
Assuming your premise was true, then to your follow on question, the reply is that to save on service costs you need only ring around a few local Garages, whereas to save on VED or fuel tax, you need to emigrate to USA (Didn't Mapmaker tell you to do just that?).

2) Since you don't have to get the car serviced by the franchised dealer provided genuine parts are used, why worry about Nissan (say) stamps in the service record?

Well is it not the case that what you say is true, provided you are only referring to the EU imposed t&c for the standard manufacturer's 2 year warranty?
However, once you go beyond that time, are you not at the mercy of the manufacturer's or dealers t&c depending for example on whether it is 2+3 years Hyundai solely manaufacturers warranty, or a 2+1 years Ford's plus Dealer combo warranty?

3) Even if you do have a complete main dealer service history, that same main dealer will disregard it when he offers you a p/ex price. Or at least offer you a price that doesn't appear to take it into account.

The likely future p/ex price hardly ever enters in to equation in the mind of your common punter.
Any dealer will offer you a p/ex price based on the then market conditions to shift his stock. For two otherwise identical cars taken in by Joe Bloggs, the price may well be lower for the car with none or indy only stamps, than for the other car which has approved dealer stamps compared to the

jbif. I'm interested in a conversation. Not a childish spat.

1) I didn't say I wasn't worried by tax and VED, I said you, ie some people posting here, weren't. Read what I said. What has Mapmaker's childishness got to do with this? Or do you think it's funny to repeat someone else's bad manners?

2) You're probably right, but what's your point? If you have a three year all inclusive manufacturers warranty you can have your car serviced by anyone who will use genuine parts and go back to the manufacturer under the warranty.

3) See what niceguyeddy says above.
in the words of Harry Enfield

calm down

calm down

calm down

oh and im allowed to take the mickey out of scousers wot wiv being one meself
but snip, you know why

Edited by Pugugly on 23/04/2008 at 17:37

ive been censored !!! erm ok then .... sorry but alas you cannot make sweet nothings with my sister

is that ok ?
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - jbif
some people posting here, weren't

who? where?
I'm interested in a conversation. Not a childish spat.

You have joined the right forum, but then you do appear to like a one way conversation pointed. Whereas I do like to examine alternative ways of looking at things. Taxation or emigration or whatever.

1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Pugugly
Can we get back on track please......??
jbif. There have been several threads about tax and VED recently where the point has been made that in the great scheme of how much it costs to run a car, another £100 for VED isn't a huge sum. If you didn't follow the threads, you didn't follow them.

I haven't, though, noticed a thread about emigration. So I haven't been involved in a conversation about it. Have you?

I'll happily stay on track, but I find the suggestion that I should emigrate if I don't like UK tax levels on cars offensive. The other day I was accused of drivel by Adverse Camber because I posted on the guy in Wales who was jailed for causing death in a motorway crash and compared the sentence with that handed down to Abu Izzadeen. I'm very patient but I get the impression that some of those who post on here are just sitting at the back of the class, staring out of the window and finding it difficult to keep up.
1st Service - wide variation in Dealer charges - Pugugly
You're not the only one.