Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - SunshineBuddy
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice?

I have an '04 1.0 litre Yaris which has done about 50K. I am going to have it serviced (+ MOT) in May and then want to drive up to Scotland, which is about a 1000 mile round trip. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on whether my car would be reliable enough to take on this trip? I've done the trip before, but my car had only done about 12K miles, where as now it's done rather a lot more.

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/04/2008 at 14:39

Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - Harmattan

Having done the trip from Birmingham to Aberdeen and back countless times in cars never younger than 10 years old, I can't imagine why you need to ask the question unless there is some already known problem with your car. Second last trip of this nature was in a 1986 Citroen Visa 1.0 with an armchair in the back and it went totally without a hitch, foot flat to the floor most of the way up and back. Last trip was in a K-reg 309 GTI last year and we picked up a nail in the tyre which meant a slow puncture had to be fixed but that can happen to any car.
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - RichardW
If it's not reliable enough for this trip then it should be binned! Modern cars will take this sort of work in their stride - you're worrying about nothing.

In 2000 I put 2,500 miles on a 13 year old 105k Citroen BX TD on a 2-week trip from Reading to the Highlands without a murmur. I have no qualms about 1000 mile long-weekends in my current (2001, 65k mile, rising fast) Xantia HDi.
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - PhilW
"current (2001, 65k mile, rising fast) Xantia HDi."

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but thats a nice low-mileage Xantia - difficult to find these days! We thought ours was doing well - it's a 2000 HDi Exclusive and has now done 95k. Mind you, it had done about about 60k when we bought it 3-4 years ago. What a pity Cit did not keep the Xantia going for a few more years and forget the "old" C5. Will keep our Xant for a few more years until "new" C5 is on second hand market at 35% of original cost (Hydractive suspension of course!)
Getting back to the theme of the OP - I will have no hesitation on hitching the caravan on the back of our Xantia this summer for a 3k or so trip to the continent -sure your Yaris will love a nice long trip without all those nasty cold starts!

Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - SteVee
Shouldn't be any problem.
Typically, the stressful times for a car are during the warm-up (and sometimes cooling down).
Steady motorway miles are no problem - it's the driver that needs looking after :-)
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - Bill Payer
See this post:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59706&...e
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - oldnotbold
The car does not know it's going for a 1,000 mile trip - it has no memory, no will, and no intelligence.

If it misbehaves, give it a sound thrashing a la John Cleese, but since it's a Toyota, not an Austin 1100, I think you are quite safe.

FWIW I drove 700 miles yesterday, most of it on the wrong side of the road. Despite the two hour hold up at Antwerp, the car didn't complain.

Check the oil and water before you leave, and the tyre pressures.

PS my car has done 190,000 miles...

Edited by oldnotbold on 21/04/2008 at 15:27

Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - maltrap
your car is extremely reliable,if you want extra peace of mind why not join a motoring organisation?
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - Alby Back
Kind of similar to what I was going to say oldnotbold. My car does about a thousand miles a week, every week and it has 145k on it. My friend who similarly abuses his car has 227k on his. The wee Yaris is barely run in by comparison, it'll be fine. Just make sure you do the usual fluid and tyre checks before setting off. Have a good trip!

Edited by shoespy on 21/04/2008 at 15:34

Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - Nsar
We have a 54 plate 1.0 and I wouldn't hesitate to drive that, other than it is a small car and rather underpowered for motorway cruising so it won't be the most relaxing drive, but relaibility wise, no problem.
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - Group B
I used to be concerned about doing long journeys in one of my previous cars, but that was 12 years old, worth £500, had done over 100k miles.
My current car has 145k miles on it and I wouldn't think twice of driving to Scotland and back in it tomorrow.

Was going to say what shoespy says, check oil, fluids and tyres and off you go!.
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - Lud
Yes. One would mention checking brake pads too before a longish trip, but if the car has just been serviced they should be all right too. But beware! A car can pass the MoT when brake pads are nearly but not quite worn out. So it might be worth asking whoever does the servicing to replace them if they are going to need it soon. That way you can be quite sure you won't have to have them done en route.

Apart from that, I wouldn't worry unduly about driving a nearly new, famously reliable Japanese car a mere thousand miles in your own country. Go carefully of course.
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - MichaelR
I wouldnt take it but not through reasons of reliability, purely becuase a Toyota Yaris will be intolerable on such a trip. It is built for taking old people to the shops, not long Motorway journeys.

Do yourself a favour and book a train ticket in advance. If you book far enough in advance you can travel First Class for a not insurmountable fee. It'll be a far more relaxing and hassle free journey.
Reliability of '04 Yaris on a long trip - CheapNcheerfull
Yaris was fine, but we did break the journey over 2 days, but given the choice then nice big powerful machine would be nice, but it depends on your circumstances as the wife needed transport whilst out in France for 6 weeks, so cheapest option was to drive.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - Saltrampen
Basically if your car is making any sort of slight funny noise from engine or gearbox or tyres, get it checked out at the service as it is likely to get worse during your trip.
At 50K Brake disks, clutches & sometimes shocks can go on Cars doing a large amount of urban driving.
Saying all this Student at my work drove to Scotland in a 12 year old Car he picked up with 1 years MOT for £300 with no problems.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - DP
Put this into context. I recently sold a 140,000 mile Mondeo diesel with noisy rear suspension and warped brake discs.

With no preparation whatsoever, it was collected from me, and driven the best part of 1,000 miles to Warsaw, Poland without a single problem.

If your Yaris is in even half reasonable health, it will lap up this journey with no problems at all. The run will do it the world of good.

Cheers
DP
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - Saltrampen
DP
You ve highlighted a good point
Some drivers will drive any car anywhere as long as it goes forward.
Others will think twice about popping down supermarket if they hear a single strange noise such as rust on discs.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - madf
Done it in a 1.4 diesle yaris with no problems.
Did it in a Peugeot 106 diesel no problems.

Did similar distances in a 1946 Rover 16.. no problems.

Had more issues with an Audi A4 to Scotland - hose came off - than any of the above.

Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - doctorchris
Car will be fine but don't forget to take your passport or the border guards will have you.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - CheapNcheerfull
My previous post has already been ref'd

Wife does not want the Jazz for the six weeks so.....

This year we are again going to do the SoF trip, which is in excess of 800 miles one way, our is a 2001 1.0. I am going to change the tyres all round as they need doing, see previous post, the aux belt will also be changed as it now at 48K and just a general check of the brakes and all round really.
Oil will also be changed regardless as it's normally just run around town, so new oil on a long run will do no harm.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - Pat L
50k is nothing these days, and as long as your car has been maintained properly and you do the usual checks before the trip you should be fine. And if you don't belong to a breakdown service join now for peace of mind!

I've done the Scotland trip from the midlands, and other long trips, in cars with 150-200k miles on the clockwith no problems.

Relax and enjoy the trip.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - Pendlebury
I agree with all the above - your engine is only just run in.
Toyota engines are pretty bullet proof with the normal oil changes - you will have no problem doing this many times over.

Sorry for being a bit cheeky - but when I first read your post I thought you were having a larf with us - just assuring you of how confident I am in your engine.

Edited by Pendlebury on 21/04/2008 at 21:15

Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - Bill Payer
Wife does not want the Jazz for the six weeks so.....

Sorry, but I'm intrigued by that comment - do you mean your wife would rather take the Yaris than the Jazz? I would have thought the Jazz would would be a somewhat better vehicle for your trip than Yaris.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - CheapNcheerfull
BP

Yep completely agree with you. She will spend more time out there with the 2 children, so its easier to run around in etc and although the Jazz is not exactly huge, the Yaris is easier to park etc. We will have a 250ltr roof box so enough space to carry things. I would rather take the Jazz, I assure you, but I am sure you know the rules......

Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - Harmattan
Just realised how times change, and perspectives. Back in the 70s, budding F1 driver Bruno Giacomelli was local to me in Bicester (March F1) and he used to pop back to Italy every 2-3 weeks in the off-season in a 600 cc Citroen Dyane which was 3-4 years old. Five hundred miles each way is a doddle.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - Falkirk Bairn
1000 miles round trip - say 40mpg = 25 gals @ £5.00 = £125 petrol

Do you need to have the car in Scotland? How many are coming by car?

The reason is that many find a cheap airfare can work out less and a lot quicker.

Neighbour flies up/down to see family because the airfare is about the same as petrol costs.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - b308
The taxes tend to knacker that idea nowadays - by coincidence I just tried out Birmingham to Aberdeen in a couple of weeks - the fares were £4.49 each way - taxes £40 - total £50 return - not so cheap! And then there's the baggage costs on top - another £10 pp.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - oldnotbold
Travel by train at off-peak. Just booked the BiL a single Hungerford-Manchester for £22.00, for about three weeks time.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - P3t3r
SNIPQUOTE!
Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.

lol, it should do it easily! A 1.0 Yaris is probably one of the most reliable cars on the roads. 50,000 is nothing!

Just make sure you check all fluids, and tyres (including the spare) before the journey.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/04/2008 at 01:50

Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - frazerjp
My Ford Ka had done a few 1000 mile round trips & never skipped a beat.
Just check the usual fluids & pressures etc.. you'll be singing all the way.
Reliability of 2004 1.0 litre on a long trip - bintang
2000 miles, France, Italy and Switzerland and back in my MGf. Only problems were those created by other drivers.