03 1.3CDTi alternator failure! - kirklander73
HI! my sister drives a 53 plate corsa 1.3 cdti and has had many problems, it only has 23,000 miles and a FSH. recently the Battery warning light came on so she took it to the garage (a vauxhall main dealer) told her that the alternator was faulty and needed replacing for a whopping £485.00 she has had the work done but is somewhat concerned for the future reliability of the orrible little tin can (thats what i call it)
does anyone know if this price quoted was another garage rip off?
are these cars really bad for reliability?
is it true that the 1.3 CDTI is a Fiat engine?
and finally can anyone reccomend a reliable replacement car of similar size? (i would say VW but of late i am becomming less impressed of V.W)!

Thanks for your help!!

Kirklander

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/04/2008 at 13:16

03 1.3 alternator failure! - Armitage Shanks {p}
HJ's reliability comments here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=423&

What did the invoice for the alternator change say? My guess would be cost of the part plus a maximum of one hour's labour plus VAT on the lot.

Carparts-direct (top right of this page) quote prices between £70 and £290 for Corsa alternators so it depends which one was fitted to the car, obviously!
03 1.3CDTi alternator failure! - Dynamic Dave
You're not alone.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59641
is it true that the 1.3 CDTI is a Fiat engine?

Yep.
03 1.3CDTi alternator failure! - kirklander73
OH ECK!! if she doesn't sell it im gonna burn it!! what a complete bag of pink fluffy dice dont even know why she got a diesel doesnt do enough mileage!! SHOCKING!! LOST FOR WORDS!! oh and after reading about castrol from screwloose's comments im off to change the oil in my mk1 golf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very much appreciated everyones comments/help!

Still..... what do i reccomend she replace it with????

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/04/2008 at 14:09