1994 1.9TD - smoke and loss of power - Dragonfly
Help ! My Peugeot is causing me some problems in that it is losing power, then it seems to surge and pick up again with occasional white smoke whilst moving and
produces black smoke when accelerating . I know there are myriad things which can cause this problem, but are there any 'easy' steps I can take to rectify the problem BEFORE I send it a garage. I dont suppose Iam the ONLY person who has encountered this fault, so maybe some kind soul can shed some light as to what the problem is. Oh, incidentally, the engine is a turbo diesel.
Many thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 15/04/2008 at 23:46

1994 1.9TD - smoke and loss of power - Wev
Hi Dragonfly, did you find out what the problem was as mine is doing a similar thing!

Cheers
Wev
1994 1.9TD - smoke and loss of power - Peter.N.
Nice simple engine, shouldn't be to difficult to find. Black smoke is due to excessive fuel or not enough air, the latter is more probable. Try disconnecting the air intake from the manifold and driving it, this should result in less power as you are no longer benifiting from the turbo, but if it cures the smoking you have a restriction in your air intake somewhere, check the filter and all piping for collapse. Could be the turbo but unlikely if its intermittent. You could also have air getting into the fuel system causing the surging but that is unlikely to cause black smoke, unless you have two seperate faults.

Edited by Peter.N. on 02/07/2008 at 18:40