Good idea or not? - twitcherman
Hi from a newbie. Been lurking for a while now.

I'm looking to change my vehicle later in the year, and for a variety of reasons a slightly-used current model Nissan Navara (D40) appeals to me. However there seem to be some "issues" with this truck, highlighted on other websites (eg What Car? owners reviews), namely:

1. Reliability - there are an awful lot of reports of low-mileage clutch failures (I'd be buying an auto anyway), and problems with the rear axle. Also, previous-model Navaras seem to have had a habit of throwing conrods out of the engine, and I've seen at least one report of a similar event with the D40.

2. Poor customer service - a common theme when owners have had problems with Nissans is indifferent customer service from both the dealer and Nissan UK. This doesn't seem confined to just the Navara - many Xtrail owners and smatterings of others, (eg 350Z, Micra) have posted similar complaints. These include problems contacting Nissan UK (excessive waiting for phone to be answered), getting Nissan to admit liability for faults under warranty, delays in authorising warranty work and delays in obtaining parts (weeks in most cases).

I'd always thought of Nissan as a bombproof bet as regards reliability and this has come as a bit of an eye-opener. I am having severe doubts as to the wisdom of buying a Navara, and I wondered what backroomers felt about this?

Edited by Pugugly on 13/04/2008 at 22:13

Good idea or not? - gordonbennet
Hello Twitcherman and welcome.

We were thinking along your lines last year, but after much research and a disappointing test drive in a pathfinder (which we also considered) virtually same vehicle, which went into limp mode on the test drive. SWMBO didn't like or trust it and i know who's in charge.

We bought a rival vehicle, but i daresay there are as many good navara's running round as any other.

I think you've already found the major problems with them though, so as there are alternatives it may be worth making enquiries at other suppliers.

It sounds to me like your already dismissing the nissan anyway.