2001 2.0d trouble cold starting and code P1220 - pat1402
Hello and hope you can help

I have just been ripped off by being sold a 2001 Zafira diesel which had unkown cold starting problems (private so nothing I can do).

It has been into my garage today to have some new spill off pipes fitted but still having problems. They put a vacuum test on it which showed a drop in pressure so they said I need a new fuel pump? It is showing code P1220 on test.

It has already had a one way valve fitted in the fuel pipe so obviously the problem was known to the previous owner.

Are there any other suggestions I could try before changing the fuel pump (a cost I cant really afford)?

If it is the fuel pump - why does it start all day with no problems?

I am not technical (a natural blonde) so no jargon please - just info to pass onto a mate on a trial and error basis.

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/04/2008 at 20:08

2001 2.0d trouble cold starting and code P1220 - Screwloose
pat

If it won't hold vacuum; then that's a leak, not the pump - although that is a pump component code.

The T-seals inside the injectors may be leaking - is it worse if you park it nose uphill?
Hi thanks

Yes - I pointed it slightly downhill this morning and it started on first turn! Is that good or bad? Also I am not sure I can go through life only going where there are hills to park overnight!
2001 2.0d trouble cold starting and code P1220 - Screwloose
pat

Starting nose downhill points to air getting in overnight. If they've done the leak-off hoses, then the intermediate seals inside the injectors are next.

Tricky job; if they haven't done it before, take it to someone who has.
Thanks I will - I will let you know how it goes