1996 1800 Whining diff - Lod
I have a whining noise coming from the diff .It is ok at speed but gets worse on slowing down.I have taken it to a local transmision centre who say I need the diff replacing.They quoted around £1200 !.As the car has done 150k and is only worth a about £1800 I am reluctant to have it done.The questions I have are :-
1. Is the price quoted realistic ?
2. is it dangerous ?
3. If I can live with the noise should I leave it alone ?
4 Will it get worse?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
1996 1800 Whining diff - ChicksFan
I'd try changing the oil first.

I had a diff on an old Singer Vogue that whined from when I bought it to when I sold it, about 4 years, never any problem but I suppose I was lucky.
1996 1800 Whining diff - Peter.N.
I would say its just fair wear and tear, do make sure that the oil is at the corect level though. If you can live with it, don't worry.
1996 1800 Whining diff - Screwloose

Cut up a pair of nylons - 40+ denier are best and stuff all the bits in through the oil filler hole.
1996 1800 Whining diff - Roger Jones
Try one of the MB forums, where you're sure to find someone who has experienced the same problem:

www.benzworld.org/index.php?page=active_topics

mbca.cartama.net/

www.mercedesforum.com/

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/

www.mercedes-benz-club.co.uk/public/home.htm

www.mbclub.co.uk/

www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php

forums.mbworld.org/forums/
1996 1800 Whining diff - madf
The noise is due to wear and the teeth not meshing properly. But we are talking small differences. As your MB is only an 1800, it is likely it will run for years like that.

I ran an old Rover for 4 years and 40k miles with a noisy diff and it was still going strong when sold...

Not worth the money.
1996 1800 Whining diff - John F
Cut up a pair of nylons - 40+ denier are best and stuff all the
bits in through the oil filler hole.

Is this because there are no longer local joineries with a plentiful supply of fine sawdust?
1996 1800 Whining diff - Screwloose
John

No; it's because it works - after a fashion. There's not a world of difference between the composition of nylon fibres and the hi-tech diff additives.

After a few days, the diff gears have reduced the fabric to mush - and the long-chain fibres do stop the gear surfaces whining against each other.

Done it many a time - never cured anything; but on things like Fronteras and particularly Transits, it makes them a lot more bearable to drive.
Thankyou to everyone for the advice.Will try the tights trick if it don't work I will leave it until it is unbearable then replace it with a 2nd hand one. If only it was that easy to stop the whinning coming from the front passenger seat !!!!
1996 1800 Whining diff - Billy Whizz
>If only it was that easy to stop the whinning coming from the front passenger seat !!!!
Many years ago, you also used to be able to do that with a set of nylons.
:)