2002 1.6SE EPS Intermittant Fault. - Markie
Has anyone experienced or know of a similar problem to my 52 plate Civic? When I am driving my Electronic Power Steering Light flickers on the dashboard and my steering goes heavy as the power steering jumps on an off. However when I switch on my headlights the fault goes away! Am I looking at a faulty earth connection somewhere or is there a major problem occurring?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/09/2008 at 00:21

'52 Plate 1.6SE EPS Intermittant Fault. - Saltrampen
When I had an 02 Civic had the same problem, took it to the dealer, who just said a fault code needed clearing (which I doubted). I dont know what they did but it didn't occur again.
Check the connection to the EPS unit.
'52 Plate 1.6SE EPS Intermittant Fault. - DanRa
I am having same problem with my Civic. It happens especially when I drive the car in parking lot or at slow speed practising turns, parking or reverse.

What I do is I then drive the car at moderate speed with descent acceleration on main roads (either EPS is not getting enough power, or EPS liquid is unevenly distributed after load on it, or something else). And after few minutes of driving, the problem goes away.

Does anyone know any permanent fix for it?

It has happened only twice so far.

Thanx for informing about the headlight thing. I shall try it the next time.

I can think of one theory for headlights, i.e. when headlights are on, high current is required. Which could drain battery. After sensing the current flow, the alternator (charging system) will kick in causing higher RPMs to the engine, providing the current. And EPS feeds on this power. So maybe that could help sorting the problem. The reason I think this is because my workaround is driving in city roads with acceleration, which also could result in higher RPM.

I am not an expert, so these hypothesis could be absolutely wrong!

Regards,

DanRa
'52 Plate 1.6SE EPS Intermittant Fault. - ianthetankman
I have got a simular problem.
The heat cover over the cat convertor fell off damaging the lander sensor wires, at the same time the EPS light stated to come on intermitantly, plus the engine warning light stays on permantly, plus the battery is no longer getting charged.
Does anyone know how these are all linked to the lander sensor wires?????????
All happend at the exact same time the lander sensor wires were damaged, they are not snapped just 2 out of the 3 wires have been stripped back.

Ian