2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - rmd
I have the the 2008 'Facelift' model with this problem.Dealer awaiting reply from Mazda.
Anybody else had experience of this?

Edited by Webmaster on 10/04/2008 at 21:07

2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - Wrxseeker
Hi,

Yes we have a little occasionally in one of the lights on ours (2.0D Sport) - will keep an eye on it.

If you can post how you get on with mazda's response that would be great.

Ours has an unusual scraping/groaning noise when you straighten the steering up after the 1st turn you have made after starting it up. Never makes the noise at any other time and only does it when you straighten the wheel and not turn it - weird !

Having it checked at the dealer today - again not a major problem but weird !

Edited by Wrxseeker on 24/04/2008 at 10:11

2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - sch
Bought Mazda 5 Sport end of March, within days reported condensation to sales team who asked me to bring the car back so that the service department could have a look. Service Dep took photos and sent to Mazda UK for comment. A couple of hours later had a phone call to say that it is a feature to allow hot air out and not a problem. Over the next 10 days it got worse (the awrmer and suunier it is) to the point that water started to run down the inside like a blow double glazed unit. Took lots of Pics and again went back to my dealer. Service Dep had the same story which horified the sales team so much that they called me back to book the car in for a light change. Well within hours of picking the car back up (bright sunny day) the condensation was back again. I again wrote to the dealer and when they failed to reply contacted Mazda UK.
Mazda UK's first response was that this should not happen and that there was risk of contacts corroding but that they would need to carry out a full investigation. Anyway yesterday got their response back - the lights have a hole to vent away heat and as it is open to the air I should expect a small amount of condensation which will clear in about 30minutes with the lights on. About to go back to then with photos of running water to find out if what I have can be classed small and will re-post when I get a reply. But to me it looks like their design team have got something wrong and they won't admit it.
2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - valmiki
Had the same problem in wife's 2006 Honda Civic (new shape)

There was condensation in the rear cluster, and water would literally 'pour' through into the boot. It was a common problem too, plenty of stories from other Civic owners with the same isse.

Anyway, according to the local incompetent dealer (who after much pestering) finally 'diagnosed' a poorly-bonded rear screen for the leak into the boot and, get this, when they removed the rear lights the gasket that sealed the lights to the car was folded in half and would have been like this from the factory. New gasket later, no problems.

Wonderful these Japanese cars, eh!
2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - Wrxseeker
Hi,

Still not noticed the condensation in ours as that bad .... Yet !!

Also dealer reported no fault found with the steering but it still makes the noise - as it only does it once we are ignoring it unless it gets worse.

Is it me or are all main dealers service depts pretty useless but especially mazda ??
2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - Galad
>Is it me or are all main dealers service depts pretty useless but especially mazda ??>

You may have a point. My Mazda 323TD failed it's first MOT due to 'excessive smoke from exhaust'. Asi t had just been prepped for MOT the day before by my local Mazda dealer I took it back to protest. They took the car off me for a whole day to 'fix the problem' which I later discovered had actually been rectified by the MOT test engineer revving my engine to the red line 6 times! I blamed myself for being witless and not consulting HJ for free advice in the first instance!
2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - L'escargot
Is it me or are all main dealers service depts pretty useless but especially mazda
??

You can't tar them all with the same brush.
2008 - Condensation in Rear Light cluster - 678hug
Got the same problem on my 3 week old 2009 Mazda 6. Dealer says it's an acceptable problem to have condensation in front or rear lights providing it clears within 24 hours. I told him it's been 3 weeks and his answer was that it was to be expected in the winter.

So i guess, the 24 hour thing only applies in the summer. He didn't use his extensive level of intelligence to define summer for me, so i'll just assume it's when i can turn the aircon on!!!

I don't think i'll be getting my car services at Letchworth Mazda in future!