2004 1.3 CDTi - Tinkling Noise When Idling - branstylad
Recently noticed a tinkling noise coming from the engine when stopped at a junction / lights etc... in my 2004 1.3 CDTi (48,000 miles)
Took the car into local garage and they said it was the Idler and belt.
Booked in and got these replaced, picked up car and all seemed fine. Next day and 50 odd miles later the noise came back.
Anyone come across this problem before and know what the fix is?
Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/04/2008 at 19:46

2004 1.3 CDTi - Tinkling Noise When Idling - krebb industries
Tinkling hey.......a metallic noise ? Is the oil level correct ? May be poor lube to the top of the engine or the timing chain.

I had a belt and tensioner replaced on our car (84k), about to be replaced by a Diesel Panda, becuase the belt was slipping. This gave out a high pitched squeal, and was even worse when a new belt and tensioner was fitted. So I drove straight back to the dealer, who said give it a few miles.....sure enough, it is now virtually silent. Not tinking though.

They reckon that the old belt left a residue in the grroves on the alternator pully, which took a few miles to wear off...sounds daft to me but it makes sense now.
Does it do it when hot/cold ? Air con on or off (or fitted ?) The air con compressor is driven off same belt, so might alther the loading on the components.

You could always take it back.
2004 1.3 CDTi - Tinkling Noise When Idling - welshtiger
i have had a recent noise recently when idling, first i thought it was the power steering pump which has the air con connected because it seems to go when oiling or wd40.

after recent investigating, i now think its the belt tensioner. when another person is reving the car slightly there is no movement and no noise, but when idling, the noise is back and the belt tensioner vibrates or moves.

The onlt thing i can think of is that the spring on the tensioner has weakend, car is now on 84,000 miles 04.

will post again when i have managed to replace part and let you all know if the noise has gone.

i hope it will because the next thing to change otherwise will have to be the power steering pump which is expensive.

The reason i first thought it was the pump was because when putting air con ON, the noise became slightly louder
2004 1.3 CDTi - Tinkling Noise When Idling - bimmer-driver
Errm- I don't think a 2004 Corsa has a PAS pump because its fully electric steering isn't it?
2004 1.3 CDTi - Tinkling Noise When Idling - Dynamic Dave
Correct. There is an electric motor on the steering column to assist with the steering on Corsas of this era. No hydraulics involved.
2004 1.3 CDTi - Tinkling Noise When Idling - topbloke
these suffer from fuel pipes vibrating on th bulk head but i would be hard pressed to call it tinkleing can you hear it from outside the car with the bonnet up ?