Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - neil
My Dad's keen to replace his existing, ageing petrol V70 with a newish (probably 06/56 plate) diesel, probably the D5 and certainly an auto rather than a manual. However, he wonders about the 'geartronic' - what exactly is it, a conventional auto or what? How does it operate, compared with 'conventional' auto if different - is it a two-pedal car? also - what are they like, particularly re any known faults/longevity?

He's pretty sold on these, as long as the geartronic box is sound. Any thoughts? Ideally from people who have or had one?

thanks

Neil

Edited by neil on 07/04/2008 at 18:23

Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - Brian Tryzers
Curious as to how he can be 'sold' on something he plainly hasn't tried - or he'd know that it is a two-pedal car. My experience is limited to a Geartronic S60 D5 I was given as a courtesy car for a day several years ago while my manual D5 was being serviced. I hated it, partly because it had awful 18" wheels and rode like a shopping trolley, but also because the gearbox turns the crispness of the D5 engine to mush. It also undoes most of the diesel's good work in terms of fuel economy and CO2 emissions - from 171g to more like 200g in the case of the S60, as I recall.

I don't mean this to sound negative or catty - just that there's a limit to how much you can find out without trying something for yourself.
}:---)
Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - pd
It's a standard auto with tiptronic style over-ride. Nothing unusual or special. The auto takes it toll on fuel consumption around town compared with the manual D5 but on the motorway there isn't a lot in it.

Pretty reliable on the sort of year you are talking about as well.
Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - TheOilBurner
My S80 D5 auto will do about 45mpg on motorway runs and 25-30 mpg around town.

As said above the geartronic and standard automatic boxes are the same thing, the geartronic just has manual selection of gears instead of hold positions.

I'm happy with mine at any rate.
Thanks all - he's keen on it, without knowing a lot about them, because he's a great fan of Volvos over the years, loves his current petrol, manual V70 but would like something slightly more economical and finds changing gear a chore and sometimes painful as he has a dodgy hip. Volvo in their wisdom seem only to do the auto as Geartronic with the D5 engine, hence his interest. I've no doubt he will go and have a look at a dealer, but as the average sales rep knows three parts of 'all about the car and isn't likely to be honest about reliability issues anyway, thought I'd ask 'the panel'.
If its a standard 'slushbox' with clever overrides, probably sold to the man with the dodgy hip! We wondered if it was something different- Volvo dont describe it on their website.

Cheers.

Neil
It's exactly the same mechanically as the standard auto. Older Volvo's were often offered with a choice of the Geartronic or Automatic, both in fact the same AW gearbox underneath.

All that changes is that instead of having the controls of PNRD43L you get PNRD and a +/- on the Drive selection to manually force up/down.

So its just the gear selector and software that is different between the two. In fact, it is possible to covert one to the other by swapping the gear selector and the gearbox computer!

I've driven both Geartronic and standard Auto on the 163 D5 engine and they drove exactly the same if left in Drive, which is what 99% of us do 99% of the time anyway. :)

Hope that helps!
Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - Bill Payer
>> All that changes is that instead of having the controls of PNRD43L you get PNRD
and a +/- on the Drive selection to manually force up/down.

So "GearTronic" is simply what most people would refer to as TipTronic?
Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - gmac
So "GearTronic" is simply what most people would refer to as TipTronic?

Only if most people drive Porsches, or the licenced to VAG group car.

Most Geartronics give years and years of trouble free motoring. Volvo will tell you it's a sealed for life gearbox but owners at VOC recommend an oil flush at 50k miles if the car is used for towing or 100k miles in normal driving.
There have been a few reported issues of cars needing new gearboxes at a cost of 3.5 to 4k pounds.
The very same gearboxes when used by Vauxhall/Saab specify an oil change at 50K miles, so personally, that's what I'll be doing.

Volvo seem to be overly optimistic on the lifetime of the 3309 spec ATF compared to other manufactuers.
Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - pd
2004 model year on Volvo autos seem to give little trouble - the earlier ones can. A fluid change at 100k is certainly a good idea.
That depends whether you're talking about the 5 speed Aisin Warner boxes (used before and after 2004), the 6 speed Aisin Warner boxes (on later D5s) or the General Motors auto boxes (6 cylinder cars only).

None of them are actually Volvo boxes. ;)
Oilburner, especially - thanks, exactly what I was after. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

Edited by neil on 08/04/2008 at 19:12

Glad to help. :)
Advice about Volvo V70 D5 geartronic? - prm72
I've recently bought an 05 S60 D5 auto, and was struggling with the fact that if an auto went wrong it would cost a fortune, so should i stick with a manual, and it would be juicier, and it wouldnt be as "sporty" to drive. Well i drove the auto and i'm so glad i went for one, its silky smooth and pulls like a train, also getting 44mpg doing 70% motorway 30% town driving, fantastic cars.