2003 1.3 CDTi - Only a bulb replacement...... - krebb industries
This car has the later ellipsoidal lights, asnd I'm being driven mad. It has the common problem of having a blown bulb, thats proving impossible to get at.

The nearside side light has blown, and even taking various bits out of the engine bay doesn't help.

The cars's handbook says its a main dealer job. My Haynes manual says remove the bumper to remove the light assembly etc. None mention what the bulb type is.

Several questions-

The bumper off route seems best, but there are three or four plastic fasteners under the bumper that I don't know how to deal with. They look like plastic discs, about the size of a 50p, with am insert in the middle. How do I get these off so that I can refit them - or do they break when removed.

I want to replace the bulb with an LED one, so once fixed it should stay fixed, for the life of the car. Can anyone recommend which bulb size to use, and a supplier ?

My hand is too big, my wifes hand is too big. We don't know any small children who could help, and my son is two months old so he can't be relied on.

Its a really minor fault, but a complete pain to repair. It says no naming and shaming, but to the designers of the Corsa (and a lot of other cars) a big thank you for nowt !!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/04/2008 at 20:18

Only a bulb replacement......2003 Corsa 1.3 CDTi - krebb industries
I've contacted Vauxhall, and they say that its either the 233 or 501 bulbs. Of course, without taking the bulb out I can't check, and to do that I need to dismantle the car......and thats for both sides of the car, although offside look slightly easier.

Anyone any answer to the basic question - which type of bulb is it ?

As a mechanically minded chap, who is allergic to main dealers, I find it embarrassing and annnoying.
Only a bulb replacement......2003 Corsa 1.3 CDTi - yorkiebar
Could well be either; but would expect it to be 501 usually.

Dont think you will get a led to fit.

Progress? advancing backwards again?
Only a bulb replacement......2003 Corsa 1.3 CDTi - Dynamic Dave
Yep, tis a 501 bulb (well, according to consumabulbs)

www.consumabulbs.com/files/nproduct.php?mk=69&md=7...1

But quite why they say it's an amber bulb is anyone's guess?

501 LED replacements are available. Be aware though if you've got a bulb failure warning system as LEDs don't draw enough current and the warning light will remain on.

www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=202

ps, found another site as well
www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=612

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/04/2008 at 20:37

Only a bulb replacement......2003 Corsa 1.3 CDTi - yorkiebar
With respect DD, the bulbs are not always as per the catalogues!
Only a bulb replacement......2003 Corsa 1.3 CDTi - krebb industries
No such fancy nonsense on this thing......

I had my fingers burnt with the other car - a Meriva - where Halfords' listings have some wrong bulbs listed. They reckon it has a combined stop/tail, when its not.

As this is a dismantle job just to get to the bulb, I'm a little wary of the "bulb checkers" on websites.

I may go to Halford to have a look at whats on offer and see if it looks like whats fitted...then order LED stuff!

Vauxhall changed the headlight arrangement from 53 onwards (which this is), which confuses matters as well !

Any comment on how to go the job without taking the vehicle apart. Absolute scandal this.....and I know Corsas dont have the monopoly on this !

I've checked the Meriva (MOT due soon). All lights okay, and they look a lot easier to get to anyway.

Edited by krebb industries on 07/04/2008 at 20:43

Only a bulb replacement......2003 Corsa 1.3 CDTi - topbloke
they are 501, a capless bulb
2003 1.3 CDTi - Only a bulb replacement...... - Victorbox
"They look like plastic discs, about the size of a 50p, with an insert in the middle. How do I get these off so that I can refit them - or do they break when removed."

Usual VX fitting of this type I've encountered is to push by hand the centre insert right through disc with a thin screwdriver or similar tool until the claws on the other side of the disc are no longer splayed out by the insert & don't grip the hole. The disc & insert can then be pulled out. You push the insert back up through the disc the other way to re-use it so insert sticks out yourside and doesn't splay out claws until you push insert back through until it is flush with disc again - after you've located it in the hole..... if you get what I mean!