15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - slender75
If you were driving 15,000 miles a year, travelling, primarily, at traffic-free times on A roads and motorways, would you plump for a petrol or diesel engine? My choices are a 1.5 or 1.7 petrol or a 2.0 diesel, with automatic transmission, in a 2 year old Mercedes A Class.
15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - 659FBE
As a lover of diesel engines, I'll make an unorthodox suggestion.

I'm asuming you've set your heart on an A Class. Given the flakiness of MB autos, I'd suggest the petrol. The high torque of the diesel will merely serve to further shorten its period of economic operation.

15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - Bill Payer
Given the flakiness of MB autos I'd suggest the petrol.

?? I've never heard that before.

The previous model A Class manuals had clutch related issues though and it's a big job to change it.
15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - Avant
If you are thinking about a diesel automatic, make sure you go for a long test run in it. I didn't go for a long enough one, and bought a B200 CDI which was a potentially good car ruined by the sluggish, incredibly noisy diesel engine - the noise exacerbated by the CVT. Its fuel consumption was also 10 mpg worse than the current VW Golf estate, which also has 2.0 litres and 140 bhp.

Edited by Avant on 06/04/2008 at 15:09

15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - yorkiebar
My opinion, for what its worth!

A series? Why? Have you experience of 1? Checked out servicing and repairs and faults etc? Been for a drive in 1?

15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - madf
Mercedes servicing prices are designed to extract as much cash as possible from punters.
15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - cadmiumuk
In my experience of a 2007 model 180 cdi with cvt box - I've averaged 43 mpg over 13000 miles of mixed driving over the past 12 months. 50 mpg motorways, 43-48 mpg short 5 mile journeys to work - A and B roads. CVT is fabulous - imperceptable changes, 1700 rpm at 70 mph - very quiet and refined cruising. I'm very happy with my choice. Engine is a bit rattley when cold but soon quietens down. Nice warm air from heater outlets after 1 minute - very unusual for a diesel - there's a supplementary PTC heater to achieve this. Comfortable seats etc, etc
15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - slender75
Thanks for the input thus far.

I wasn't aware of any transmission issues and I've done a lot of research. If that point can be elaborated upon or I can be steered in a direction I may not have looked I'd be grateful.

The decision to buy an A Class is the result of a very long selection process which places huge emphasis on the fact that I am quite tall and have badly damaged knees. As I type I am recuperating from a cartilage graft in my right knee with the same op for my left knee next month!! The A Class is the best car for my needs as it meets all my personal criteria.

cadmiumuk; Many thanks for your comments and, coincidentally, the engine/transmission you have is one that I am going to test drive during the week and I have a good starting offer on the table for a 2005 model.

15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - Screwloose
slender

Sorry to be negative; but don't touch any A-Class with a bargepole.

Their reliabilty and repair costs are so awful; I wouldn't drive one even if it was a gift - it would be trailered straight to auction.

To do almost anything on one requires the removal of the entire engine/gearbox/subframe unit. £700 to replace a starter does not impress.
15,000 miles a year - petrol or diesel? - Bill Payer
Their reliabilty and repair costs are so awful;

The latest model is considered a *lot* better than the previous one.

They're available new on pretty good PCP deals from MB.

One thing you could do if buying a 2-3yr old one is to buy Mercedes ServicePlus. This covers pretty well all service and repair bills until the car is 6yrs old (120K miles max). It shouldn't be too expensive for an A Class.