AD 2003, 1300cc - Removing axles to fit bushes? - tyro
I am wanting to have Powerflex polyurethane bushes fitted on my Ford Ka, and have been told that is necessary to remove the axles in order to do so.

I was surprised to hear this. Is it really true?

Edited by Webmaster on 05/04/2008 at 15:23

AD 2003, 1300cc - Removing axles to fit bushes? - Bolt-on
The bushes will be to replace those in the front wishbones (the bottom suspension arm), which each have two mounting points, the ones for the anti-roll bar and the mounting points for the rear axle.

Both front wishbones will have to come off and the rear axle mounts will have to be undone in order to replace the bushes there (although this may just involve undoing the mounting bolts and levering the whole axle an inch or two out of the way to swap mounts.

Not a five minute job but it shouldn't take a good garage more than, say, a morning to complete. Would depend to some degree on whether the wishbone bushes require an hydraulic press to remove/replace the bushes.
AD 2003, 1300cc - Removing axles to fit bushes? - jc2
Why?;they'll certainly last a bit longer but they won't transform the handling and they'll increase the noise and harshness in the ride.
Bolt-on: Thanks very much for that.
Why?;they'll certainly last a bit longer

Actually, I was hoping that they would last a lot longer - even, perhaps, the life of the car.

Edited by tyro on 07/04/2008 at 10:51

AD 2003, 1300cc - Removing axles to fit bushes? - nick
They should last an awful lot longer and if you get the softest grade will perform much as the original rubber ones. A lot of people remember when polybushes first came out and did feel almost solid. Much improved these days, at least three different grades of flexibility.

Edited by nick on 07/04/2008 at 16:42

Thanks all.

I've had the work done, and must confess that I have not noticed any significant change in ride, handling, or noise. Ride may be a little firmer, but it is pretty marginal.