98 1.3juddering through pedal & rear bearing noise - pinkhubz
hi all you knowledgeable people! i have just bought a micra 1.3 si 98 model.
problem 1: when you apply brakes there is a light judder ( i almost describe it as a wave??!! ye i know that sounds daft!) that you feel through the steering wheel and pedal. it only comes on at 30 down to 0 progressively slowing as you slow down. what cold it be? warped disks? someone suggested bushes in steering.this scared me!
Also my car im assuming as it has abs light has abs. could this have something to do with the judder?
it looks as if its got new rubber gaiters on the front and wondered if maybe someone hadnt connected the abs right? how would i check the abs system is all good n working? iv got ma dear old pa on the case however hes a carb man back in the days without abs but hes learning fast bless! we'v looked at pads n disks & visually they appear ok.

problem 2: there is a wining noise coming from the rear not sure which side, this gets faster as you go faster less noticable around 75-80 gets louder as you slow down. iv had the wheels off and tried to check for any play but cant really tell if there is any, as the brake drum cover thing moves. how can i see if there is any play?does anyone know if you can replace just the bearings or is it a complete hub needed? if a complete hub is needed do i have to buy the abs hub kit, im thinking yes as this has sensors? fitted?
any advise would be lovely iv had every model micra including the new k12 which i wouldnt advise anyone to buy as its a renault! thus being the reason id like to fix n keep this little micra! thanks! ;)

Edited by Pugugly on 05/04/2008 at 00:11

98 1.3juddering through pedal & rear bearing noise - zookeeper
hi pinkhubz, How exactly did you check for "play" with the wheels off?... oh the brake judder sounds like warped brake discs to me, i had the same problem with my car and a new set of front disks cured it
98 1.3juddering through pedal & rear bearing noise - pinkhubz
hi zookeeper thanks for your reply, i checked the 'play' by wobbling the wheel the wheel didnt really wobble and when i took wheel off and wobbled the hub, the cover wobbles? the above on rear.
i suspected warped disks and read a really interesting article on this issue at www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_01_judder.pdf
it tells about how warped disks can happen and if your not carefull replacing them will be ok but then if underlying prob not sorted it could come back. rekon il try new disks. do you know about the abs? could this have anything to do with it? thanks
98 1.3juddering through pedal & rear bearing noise - pinkhubz81
hi guys! well i replaced the rear hubs (new bearings in) then took the brake drums off give them a good rub down back to metal & cleaned them right up.
Its sorted the juddering out! woohoo!
i ground the front disks with an angle grinder put new pads & shes all good!