Changing headlamp bulbs. - TeeCee
I was finally defeated this morning by a Vectra and forced to allow a mechanic to swap a headlamp bulb. I took my revenge by pointing out to a nearby salesman that I wouldn't be taking a new one when its lease is up in May due to this rank stupidity.

Anyhow, on arriving at work and recounting this to a colleague he said that as of the 1st of July this year it's going to be illegal to sell a vehicle in the EU that you can't change all the bulbs on yourself.

Presumably this means that they won't be able to get EU type approval, but anyone know more? Will the rules apply to all makes / models or just newly introduced ones? All bulbs or just headlights? Are there any guidelines on what constitutes the ability to change them yourself (e.g. you *can* change the sidelight bulbs on a current VW Sharan - but it's a very unpleasant task)?

Sounds like a win for common sense to me, but need clarification.

--------
Objects in the rearview mirror may be huge and a very long way away.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - Bagpuss
There are plans to amend ECE Regulation 48 which governs the fitment of lightbulbs and the ability to change them. Theoretically, this regulation already prevents manufacturers from fitting bulbs which cannot be changed without special tools or removing the entire front of the car. In practice it is so badly worded that a manufacturer can get around it by adding a sentence to the owners' manual telling you to take the car to the dealer. The regulation was originally supposed to be amended in 2006 but the manufacturers got their usual period of grace. Allegedly the Golf V complies with this already.

Surprisingly, this isn't a new problem. I really hope I never have to change the right hand headlight bulb on my 1994 Mercedes W124 as a large part of the air intake assembly appears to be secured to the headlamp housing!
Changing headlamp bulbs. - Dynamic Dave
I was finally defeated this morning by a Vectra and forced to allow a mechanic to swap a headlamp bulb.

Which side, and what model Vectra?

Actually the model makes very little difference. I presume you didn't remove the washer bottle filler neck (if passenger side) or the airfilter box (if drivers side), which makes changing the headlight bulbs quite easy.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - yorkiebar
What date is it ? Today I mean !
Changing headlamp bulbs. - TeeCee
Vectra C. Passenger side, but it's LHD (Opel), so airbox. Not really an option on a Petrol Station forecourt.

Over here local legislation takes a sensible attitude. They're quite happy for manufacturers to do this (no choice - bound by EU type approval), but there are two obstacles. First, if you print in the manual that it's a dealer task, the dealers have to do it for free for anyone who drops in (so they lean on the manufacturers to change it). Second "it just failed and I can't change it myself" will *not* get you off the fine for driving with a failed bulb at night regardless of the circumstances (so the manufacturer gets a steady stream of invective from their customer base and loses repeat sales).

I've learned my lesson, it's lease is up in May and I'll be taking a careful look at the manual and under the bonnet of each potential replacement I evaluate.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - J Bonington Jagworth
"illegal to sell a vehicle in the EU that you can't change all the bulbs on yourself."

IIRC, it's been a requirement in several continental countries that you carry spare bulbs for some years, but that's not much help if you can't change them at the roadside!

I expect that, as ever, we shall be the only ones to take this legislation seriously. Or would be, if we still made any cars!

I look forward to the bulb sets containing a box of 50 LED's...

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 01/04/2008 at 13:17

Changing headlamp bulbs. - Chris S
Is this another April fool?
Changing headlamp bulbs. - Lud
I look forward to the bulb sets containing a box of 50 LED's...

As I understand it, bulb sets have to contain everything necessary for the change, but obviously the level of skill of the owner or mechanic cannot be taken into consideration.

I look forward to the bulb sets containing a trolley jack, axle stands, torque wrench, full set of sockets, basic MiG welding outfit (oxy-acetylene in some luxury applications) and of course the all-important distress alarm and first aid kit.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - AlanGowdy
If it is true then the legislation is long overdue. To have to accept a bill of £100 or more to have a garage fit a replacement lightbulb is nothing short of obscene.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - gmac
Volvo had the good sense to introduce the blade system whereby the whole light unit can be taken out by removing two blades and uncliping the electrical connection on 2003 and newer models.
Unfortunately they didn't retro fit this to the S60, you can get some very nice scars on the back of your hands and wrists if attempting the dipped headlights on a faceliftted S60.
I've got them as a permanent reminder.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - Billy Whizz
Imagine what will happen to the bulb life if dipped headlights are required at all times of day, as here in Estonia. I have changed my headlight bulbs three times as often as before (same car).
Changing headlamp bulbs. - gmac
As opposed to the two year lifespan of DRL's on the above mentioned Volvo S60 ?
Changing headlamp bulbs. - Big John
I hope this is true,

My skoda Superb lights are very difficult to change at the road side. In the car I keep a small socket set complete with insulation tape to remove the headlight unit bolts(insulation tape applied inside socket to avoid dropping bolts into engine bay), a screwdriver to remove all air intake plumbing, teflon coated fingers to avoid skinning fingers whilst removing power steering plastic cover and changing the bulbs. I had to change one in France once.

Changing headlamp bulbs. - DP
My pre-facelift S60 has easily accessible bulbs thankfully, but the Scenic II is a nightmare. I have changed both dipped beam bulbs, and bleeding knuckles apart, would feel confident about doing so again, but when the main beam bulbs go, that's going to be a dealer job. Headlights out, which in turn means bumper off. There's just no way I'm doing that with the tools and working facilities available to me.

I have never understood how this kind of design was allowed in countries requiring drivers to carry spare bulb kits by law. Carrying spare bulbs is completely pointless if you can't change them by the side of the road.

Cheers
DP
Changing headlamp bulbs. - Kevin
I changed a complete inner headlamp unit on an XJ8 yesterday, took less than 10 minutes. I could probably do it in 5 minutes now I know how it's done. Three push-fit ball and socket fasteners, two at the top and one at the bottom on an alignment adjustment screw.

£90 for the unit from a main dealer - ouch!

Tip. Remove all the broken lens glass and spray the fasteners with WD or a spot of oil before trying to pull the old unit out. Then clean the fastener balls and give them a light smear of grease before fitting the new headlamp.

Kevin...
Changing headlamp bulbs. - grumpyscot
Saab 95 - fairly easy to change providing you have very thin flexible fingers. Nearside requires removal of battery cover though.

Honda CRV (Mk1) - easiest of all - though for sidelights you had to loosen the inner wheel arch liner - still took less than 5mins.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - SuperBuyer
New shape Focus (55 reg) was the easiest car I've done.

The Terracan was very easy - less than 2minutes on a dim petrol forecourt in the driving rain.

Haven't done the Shogun yet, probably will look to due in the summer, one night when its light.

As for other cars - I can do the Golf fairly easily, and the Vectra wasn't too bad IIRC.

I prefer to do the bulbs in pairs, preferably before they go - saves scrabbling around on garage forecourts (or Halfords or similar car parks...!)
Changing headlamp bulbs. - leexjr
Hello there, i just googled changing xj8 headlamps and this page come up!. i've just had someone reverse into my xjr and i'm planning on following your advice on fitting a new one my self. it's the outer headlight on my car but i would asume it's the same fittings?.

once i've removed the glass, olied etc should i just apply some pressure to the unit and pull it or is there anything that need unscrewing 1st?? just worryied i'll break something!!

your advice would be very much appreciated

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/11/2008 at 19:46

Changing headlamp bulbs. - oldgit
I remember those barmy halcyon days when changing bulbs, particularly headlamps bulbs was just a matter of either releasing the headlamp unit by removing one screw or simply releasing the bulb holder from the back of the unit from under the bonnet. It had now reached levels of absurdity necessitated by modern design, I suppose.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - henry k
I remember those barmy halcyon days when changing bulbs particularly headlamps bulbs was just a matter of either.........

>>
AH! yes, the need to carry a sealed beam unit or even two ( for twin headlamps)and the need to undo the clamps etc.
It had now reached levels of absurdity necessitated by modern design I suppose.

But you can easily get most standard bulbs in a filling station or in Halfords on a Sunday.
A bulb kit is tiny compared with sealed beam units.

Halcyon days? ;-)
Changing headlamp bulbs. - billy25
>>AH! yes, the need to carry a sealed beam unit or even two ( for twin headlamps)and the need to undo the clamps etc.<<

In those days, (ere we go!) sealed beams used to come either single filament (main beam) or double filament (dip/main beam). When i had the Triumph, I used to "save" my old double filament units when a dip filament blew, re-use it in the main beam position when i had a main beam unit go. Thinking about it now, i never had an mot failure whilst doing it, so i assume reflector/lens pattern for main beam on both types of unit must have been the same.

Billy

Edited by billy25 on 02/04/2008 at 13:08

>> AH! yes the need to carry a sealed beam unit or even two ( for
twin headlamps)and the need to undo the clamps etc.

Ah, yes, but I was necessarily alluding to sealed units. Of course I remember those well and never had trouble with them. I was referring to the fact that, generally, all that was necessary, to replace the bulbs was often done externally by removing one or more screws and then removing a chrome bezel and perspex lens. Why so much has to be done, especially at the rear of the car, from the inside and behind trim completely baffles me.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - Bilboman
But will there be an exemption for HID (Xenon) gizmos? Replacement units (they *never* fail, supposedly) cost hundreds, and like so many once bought, never used gadgets (warning triangle, first aid kit,...) they are never easy to find, clean or in good condition on the once-in-a-lifetime occasion when you actually need the things!
In fact, I'm surprised not to have read about thefts of HID units from top-end cars, now that so many costly items are regularly nicked (bumpers, alloys, catalytic converters...)
Changing headlamp bulbs. - J Bonington Jagworth
"catalytic converters"

Slightly OT, but now platinum is $2000/oz, how much will a replacement cat cost (and how much is it part of the original vehicle price)?
Changing headlamp bulbs. - doctorchris
Buy a Fiat Panda and you will be transported back to those days, not only when replacing bulbs but for all your car maintenance issues.
Changing headlamp bulbs. - maltrap
on a new VW beetle the whole headlight unit has to be taken out to change the bulb!
on a new VW beetle the whole headlight unit has to be taken out to
change the bulb!

My whole rear light cluster has similarly to be removed (on MK V Golf) to change a bulb - daft I call it. Why not have a few recessed, external self-tapping screws/bolts to do the same although it would not look so neat, although I know what I'd prefer.

Edited by oldgit on 04/04/2008 at 18:51

Changing headlamp bulbs. - seasiders rock
Buy a Fiat Panda and you will be transported back to those days not only
when replacing bulbs but for all your car maintenance issues.

agreed, so simple, i have changed the head light bulbs on my 100 hp in less than 10 mins. no tools necessary, same applies to indicator bulbs and side lights. easily done at the side of the road.