Omega MV6 rear speakers - smokie
I was a back seat passenger at the weekend in my own MV6.

Sitting in the front, the music sounds good with OK bass, separation etc.

Sitting in the back, the only speakers are in the lower front of each back door so the music was disappointing, to say the least.

I thought cars usually had speakers under the rear parcel shelf, but mine appears to have "mouldings" in the metal work but no speakers. Has someone removed them, or is that how it should be?

If I were to buy some speakers of the correct dimensions, where would I find wires to join them up? Or would I be wasting my time & money, as I don't often travel in the back!
Omega MV6 rear speakers - Dynamic Dave
I thought cars usually had speakers under the rear parcel shelf,
but mine appears to have "mouldings" in the metal work but
no speakers. Has someone removed them, or is that how it
should be?

Vauxhall don't mount them in the rear shelf anymore. I expect the mountings are there as they were there in earlier Omega's and Vauxhall couldn't be bothered remanufacturing a new shelf assembly when the Omaga had a facelift.
If I were to buy some speakers of the correct dimensions,
where would I find wires to join them up?

If the head unit has another output channel, then wire into that. If you're lucky then the head unit might have phono pre-outs that an amplifier could be connected to - thus the amp powering the extra speakers. However I doubt the standard unit has this option.
Or would I be wasting my time & money, as I don't often travel in the back!

Er, maybe.

Omega MV6 rear speakers - Dynamic Dave
Sitting in the back, the only speakers are in the lower
front of each back door so the music was disappointing, to
say the least.

An afterthought. Was the fader on the head unit set so that the front and back speakers were getting an equal share?
Yes the fader was central.

I'll have a scout round for some suitable wiring, but I'm not about to make a whole load of work for myself just for the benefit of my back seat passengers...but thanks for the help.
Omega MV6 rear speakers - Highland Idler
I have had 5 Omegas so far (4 new Company Cars and now an ex-Police MV6, 202,500 miles - just running in).

The Vauxhall Speakers, in my opinion, are carp. I have got into the habit of replacing the front ones (custom fit, ? Pioneer - can\'t remember who) and for the rears, forget those in the doors and prise off the plates (two off) under the rear shelf. You get a standard speaker sized (round hole, but need to cut the fuzzy fabric bit above.

Regarding wiring I THINK the rears have leads coing along the bottom of the (front) doors under the sills, then up into the pillar for the rear doors. I prised up the sill platics and soldered (forget screws) longer wires for the rears.

Since some idiot broke into my MV6 in Hull and nicked the CD/Radio (and smashed the steering lock/Ignition, resulting in a 12 hour car transporter trip back to the highlands of SCotland..) I have had an insuarnc replacement Alpine 4x60W CD/Radio. It is the best I have ever had in a car...

Yours aye
Omega MV6 rear speakers - robert
Hi Smokie,

I have an MV6 and have solved this problem! The cutouts in the rear shelf are to fit the Bose subwoofers fitted to the Elite soundsystem.

I transplanted the system from a wrecked Elite into my MV6 and the transformation is magical - 210 watts.

Take a loot in the boot of an Elite ('98 MY onwards) and you will see how it all fits together. You will also need to change the rear parcel shelf-which also comes with a sunblind!

There is some additional wiring to do as ALL the speakers in the car are fed from the Bose power amp under the parcel shelf - but you should be able to get this with the power amp from a wrecked Elite- if you are lucky.

If you want further info then contact me direct - I suggest that you listen to an Elite first to see if you think its worth the money.

Regards ....... Robert
Robert

Did you just take the speakers, or were you able to find a whole unit - i.e. power amp too? What did it cost?

Suppose you didn't get the satnav too? Although I imagine that's a big conversion.
Omega MV6 rear speakers - robert
You guessed right! I managed to get the whole audio system in one go - although the CCR800 had already gone - so I used my existing CCR600 until I found one somewhere else. The two really arn't that different - well, the 600 has 4 x 20 watt outputs, the 800 only has pre-amp (but high voltage) outputs. I just kept the volume turned down for a few months. The wiring & pinouts are the same for both.

I got the whole satnav system from the same car a few months later - I really had to barter the price on both units though.

You need to be very careful as in scouring the www looking for a pal of mine to do the same - can only find ELITE estates. These use a different Bose setup and only have one subwoofer.

The satnav was actually easier then the Bose to put in. Again, a different wiring loom is in the Estate. I reckon the whole lot cost me £500 - I spend a lot of time in my car and reckon it money well spent.

Also, don't forget that the later MV6's have the 700 unit with built in phone. This uses a different display in the car and you would have to find the Bose version of that as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards ........... Robert