1999 2lt Hdi diesel that has starting problems - harrishawk
I turn the key and if i hear CLICKING noise every time i turn the key it will not start will turn over but will not fire.If i keep turning key on and off until i hear no Clicking under dashboard it will start first time and drive Superb. Glow light doesn't come on either. Have changed both relay switches Near the ECU and had a low pressure pump about a year ago. I have no engine management light showing .I am at my witts end not knowing if my car will start today or not. Some days will start no problem other days it happens all the time.
Please help im desperate.I feel like smashing it up at the moment

Update........

Have you found the solution to your problem as i haven't and now they are saying i have a hairline fracture on the motherboard in the ECU and want £340 + vat to fix. Seems a bit much to me and when i had it diognostically tested 2 weeks ago it came back with NO faults or codes???????????????? does anybody know if this is possible

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/03/2008 at 12:58

1999 2lt Hdi diesel that has starting problems - Screwloose
hh

Was one of the relays the 15-pin fuelling relay? This could be an ignition switch; a power feed; or a bad earth problem. What exactly is clicking?

The post is a bit confusing; who is saying the board is cracked?
Have changed the Brown 15 plug relay which is behind the suspension strut and have the Black glow plug relay under the ECU . Its the Glow plug relay that is clicking.

Update....... have just recieved the unit test and report for my HDI EDC 15C2 ECU unit and it has come back with The unit has been tested to all of its paramaters and was found to be Faulty it goes on to say Faulty none RUNNER. So how come that i just refitted the ECU it and the car started after about 10 minutes of Click click clicking and my engine management light isnt on surely if it has all of these faults it would not start at all .Have just driven 20 miles and the car drives like a dream. Back home now and will not start just clicking. All sugestions really welcome as i have just spent £54 for nothing. The ECU testing centre origanally said it had a hairline fracture on the motherboard but NO mention in the report

Edited by harrishawk on 28/03/2008 at 16:51

hh

One of the first tests of a fault like this is load-testing all the ECU feeds and earths.

Until that's been successfully done; I wouldn't have dreamed of sending an ECU off - especially on a car notorius for obscure wiring faults.

What specific ECU fault was found and in which system?
It SAYS and i Quote

Visual inspection ....Pass

Main relay ...
Fuel pump relay....
EGR........
Fuel solenoid
Warning lamp
Clutch pedal position switch
Third piston cut off
Throttle solenoid
Low impedance injector output ... On this report they all Failed.

Really dont no what to do next.........
I could send to another ECU company on Ebay called ECU doctor in Plymoth but what is the point of wasting more money and time. Might take the car to Auction as it really is beginning to get me down....

Even Peug head office didnt want to help.AS i hadn't taken car to main dealer, but if you look in forums on net lots of people r having same problem. Somebody must know the answear to the problem Surely with all these faults my engine management light would be on. It must be electrical or it wouldnt drive very well, but once started u wouldn't think anything wrong with car.

Edited by harrishawk on 28/03/2008 at 17:41

hh

It is possible, often normal, for an electronic fault to be intermittent; who tested it?

It's not a common fault on these - but wiring/earthing faults are.
Fuel parts UK Ltd

Worcestershire
Barum Auto parts Ltd sent it to them , they obviously use them for all there ECU testing.

Have tested all earth leads etc...

Edited by harrishawk on 28/03/2008 at 18:07

1999 2lt Hdi diesel that has starting problems - scfc_151
have you tried thumping the fuel tank while you turn it over to check the lift pump isnt jamming?

just a thought because the same happened to mine

let me know
Yes tried that
It was the ECU...... £172.50 from ECU doctor Plymouth

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

Looks like Fool Parts failed yet again......