2001 HDI - whining noise when revving, EGR/Turbo? - scfc_151
Ive noticed recently that when driving (more when cold) that theres a slight whining noise that picks up in speed with engine revs. I noticed its more detectable from the right hand side of the engine block (as you loof at the engine). This has connections from the brake servo so im assuming its the EGR valve?

However the picture of the engine bay that ive seen shows the turbo in this position connected to the EGR. Im wondering if this could be coked up?

Any advise to make it run better/quieter would be appreciated. Its MOT time next week

thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/03/2008 at 18:44

HDI - whining noise when revving, EGR/Turbo? - Screwloose

Alternator? Cam/fan belt/tensioner?
HDI - whining noise when revving, EGR/Turbo? - scfc_151
hey its my old mate scewlose, youve helped a few times on here! Its had a new cam belt, tensioners and alternator belt and the noise is from the oposite side.

I noticed you post on somebody elses topic about HDi citroen dispatch underfueling and noticed you said something about a vacuum operated butterfly valve. Does the hdi 90bhp have these?

I was wondering what was bolted onto the right side of the engine as I thought the turbo was on the bulkhead side near the exhaust.

When i disconnected the plug from the servo (only for a second mind) the noise stopped but revving seemed sluggish

any ideas

"The plug from the servo?" Ehh?

No dozer valve on these; it's mainly the vans that have them.

So the noise is down the back of the engine - flywheel end? Could this be a boost leak - they can whine.
sorry theres a pipe coming from the servo that plugs onto this unit on the side of the engine block.

when this is unplugged theres an obvious vacuum drawing air in. Is this the EGR or something else?

cheers
ok after some digging ive found out the that what i was trying to work out is the vacuum pump.

Vacuum pump

7.1 - Role.

The vacuum pump supplies the vacuum required to control the following components :
Exhaust gas recycling valve (EGR) (depending on the version).
Pneumatic control capsule for the EGR valve.
Brake servo (depending on the version).

7.2 - Description.

The vane-type vacuum pump is driven by the engine camshaft

can anyone shed light on why this will be whining under revs and what are the implications of this?

also what can be done to sort it? could there be a leak there?

Right; so the whining is coming from the vacuum pump - yes?

Those items are all vacuum operated - hence the pipe.

If that's what's whining; you'll likely need a new one. Use a long screwdriver, held to your ear, as a stethoscope to confirm the source of the noise.
thanks screwloose sorry i was vague its hard to find info if your not sure what your on about. Now I know a bit more about it is it possible that the o rings are leaking?

Would this make a difference to brake performance? Im sure i can pick one up quite cheap

Not O-rings if it's whining. If the noise is coming from there; change it fast.
Ok thanks screwloose would a pump from another car be ok?

If so i could do with finding out what part would be the same on other cars
i.e. the 206 pump looks similar.

Thanks for your help once again

Get an exact match; the vacuum requirement may be less on a lighter car.