Scrap Metal - HLyon
I've got an old car bonnet and some old brake discs to dispose of. Are scrap metal merchants likely to be interested in such things or would I be better taking them to my local dump.

Someone said to me yesterday that they would be worth something but to be honest, I wouldn't have thought so.
Scrap Metal - blue_haddock
Scrap metal prices are quite high at the mo but unless youve got a decent amount you're not going to get too much from the scrappy
Scrap Metal - Pugugly
Your dump won't accept it as landfill either.
Scrap Metal - Hamsafar
Because of stupid EU Law, the 'dump' would have to be licensed for end of life vehicle parts, so you really need to go to a car breakers yard. My Veolia-run council tip refuses to take car parts such as discs and cylinder heads.
Scrap Metal - John S
Hamsafar

That's amazing. True it shouldn't go to landfill, but it's just scrap metal, surely. I've simply driven up and lobbed old brake discs in the scrap metal bin at the local recycling centre. Not a comment. Seems the right thing to do.

JS

Edited by John S on 24/03/2008 at 19:52

Scrap Metal - Screwloose

Why not put it in your local garage's scrap metal bin. At least then they will get a few pennies for it - unless they've been forced into a "contract."

Waste is a bureaucratic nightmare and fast becoming a real money-spinning racket - no wonder the serious criminals are moving in.
Scrap Metal - Alby Back
Do you have an art college near you? They are always looking for metal to use in sculpture classes. Shouldn't think they'd want to pay you but quite nice to think of bits of your old car becoming something pleasing again perhaps ? Just a thought.

Edited by shoespy on 24/03/2008 at 19:21

Scrap Metal - BobbyG
Suppose worse case scenario your local scrappy will take it off your hands free of charge?
Scrap Metal - FotheringtonThomas
£0.34p at yout local scrap merchant (on a good day), or chuck 'em in the ferrous skip at your local tip (or better, e-bay them if they're any good).
Scrap Metal - motorprop
34 p per what ? kg , lb , CW ??
Total.
Scrap Metal - craneboy
What condition is the bonnet in? perhaps you could flog it on ebay.
Scrap Metal - pendulum
When we had an oven fire, we arranged for a friend of the family to take the ruined oven away in his van and dispose of it for us. We lugged it out to the front of the driveway ready for him to pick it up.

Some time in the next 2 hours, before our friend arrived, someone had nicked it!

If it's worth something, just leave it where it can be seen and it won't last long.
Scrap Metal - bathtub tom
A friend used to do similar with his old engine oil. Put it in a very clean container, in a say Halfords carrier bag on his drive. It always disappeared.
Scrap Metal - stuartl
Hate to sound like an eco tree hugger but if someone is prepared to steal seemingly good oil I would imagine he or she is very likely to tip it into the nearest drain or other equally environmentally unfriendly place once they realise it is no good.
Scrap Metal - normd2
our local Civic Amenity Centre (aka the dump) has a section for any and all types of scrap metal, maybe yours does too.
Scrap Metal - HLyon
I've left old brake discs at my tip before. They get you to set it aside, so it doesn't go into a landfill.

I'll drop them at the tip today. I was just checked that I wasn't throwing cash away.
Scrap Metal - Tron
No matter what is put out in my area, if it has any scrap value; it seems to 'magically' vanish!

Scrap Metal - DP
A printer company I used to work for would sometimes have production laser printer chassis' left over after an end of life machine had been stripped for parts. These were 50kg metal frames of a heck of a size. No electronics or motors were left inside, it was literally a shell.

They discovered, by accident initially, that these items would "disappear" over a weekend if left round the back of the office. CCTV footage showed that this valuable service was provided by a regular band of local travellers. A mutually beneficial arrangement.

I remember as a kid, local travellers would actually drive around the estate every couple of months in a battered Transit pickup with a megaphone asking for scrap metal. They'd pay cash, and dad always used them to get shot of washing machines, car batteries and the like.

My local tip will take brake discs, but never tried panels.

Cheers
DP
Scrap Metal - HLyon
I was on my way to the tip yesterday with the old bonnet. Was about to pass the scrappies on the way, pulled over to see if they would take it. They said that it wasn't worth anything and that they didn't think the tip would take it.

I left it with them, they were going to throw it in with one of their scrappers. I expect they'll get an extra couple of pence.
they didn't think the tip would take it [a bonnet]

They will take it if it's "domestic" rather than "commercial" - the same goes for lots of other sorts of domestic rubbish, too.
Scrap Metal - buzbee
I remember a colleague of some years ago now who approached site travelers, he passed regularly, to ask if they were interested in his old car as free scrap "that was not roadworthy but had a good engine" and told them it was on his drive at his address if they wanted to look. He came home later that day to find the engine had been cut out using oxy-acet and the rest of the 'heap' was still there together with a quantity of spilt dirty oil!