mk1 2.5 diesel (biodiesel)?? - giggles57380
What do people think of using biodiesel in their tank, I have the oil from my local chip shop but are in two minds whether to use it. I will refine it and cook it up with methanol and check levels of pH so that it isn't harmful to the fuel pipes.
But does it really work?!
Any ideas??????

Edited by Pugugly on 24/03/2008 at 16:27

mk1 2.5 diesel (biodiesel)?? - Screwloose

If you buy the proper kit and convert it into proper BS-standard bio-diesel; it should be fine in a 200TDi.

A filthy, smelly, process - hope you haven't got neighbours..... and very tolerant friends.....
mk1 2.5 diesel (biodiesel)?? - Bootsie
Hello ,Quentin Wilson was talking about this ,last night on tonight(LINK www.itv.com/News/tonight/episodes/Pricedofftheroad...l
I found his explanation straight forward and very very economical(40 pence per litre).
He did say get your engine checked out to see if this fuel can be used ,this includes rapeseed oil and similars straight off the supermarket shelf, the only on costs appear to be the thinning oil if you use chip oil(which needs to be filtered) and a filter at about £3-50.
He also mentioned an electronic box of tricks which optimised his engine managment to fine tune it and give more MPG, in his case the Range Rover was giving him another 7 miles per gallon,which can`t be sniffed at!!!
Apparently you are allowed to manufacture 50 litres per week before taxation applies.
I am definitely going to look into this, I am running a manual 2.5 BMW/TD P38 .
mk1 2.5 diesel (biodiesel)?? - Screwloose
Bootsie

Quentin Wilson was talking utter bullshine on that programme. Like most car dealers; they know how to sell them, but the intricacies of what goes on under the bonnet are a complete mystery to them.

I dread to think how many fuelling systems his totally inaccurate "information" will wreck - maybe he was on commission from repairers. He couldn't be more wrong if he tried.

As a general rule; bio-diesel can only be used by very old-tech diesels - which is why some pre-99 diesel cars are going up in price so fast.

The reality of bio-diesel production is far from the, simple, rosy picture he was painting. You have a lot of research to do before you write-off your car.
mk1 2.5 diesel (biodiesel)?? - oldnotbold
The short answer is that properly made bio-diesel will be fine in your engine. Come to www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/
mk1 2.5 diesel (biodiesel)?? - Malcolm Howell

I know this is a really old post, but i thought I may be able to enlighten anyone else who is reading this.

To start with, you have a chippy, which oil do you use?

The most common oil chippies use is palm oil.

PALM OIL I do not recommend using palm oil as a feed stock for making bio diesel, because it is solid at room temperate. This means any un-reacted oil left in the bio-diesel will also become solid. The properties of the bio-diesel once made will mean that it will gel up around 15 degrees C. You don't want this happening in your fuel tank, living in the UK it will.

You may well be frying in groundnut oil, soya bean (AKA vegetable oil) or rapeseed oil.

All these oils are fine for making bio-diesel.

You can follow this link to see the equation for making bio-diesel

Please bare in mind, this is an equilibrium reaction, to therefore you need to add extra methanol than actually required, then remove the excess. The other 2 options are to react twice, whilst removing the byproduct glycerol.

Now you must consider the cost of actually doing the conversion.

Everywhere will say it costs 10p per litre for the reactants, this is true. But you still need to factor in the fact that you could have sold the waste cooking oil to a collector:

Waste cooking oil collection service for around 20-25p per litre

or gained a better deal from your fresh vegetable oil or rapeseed oil supplier by returning your waste oil to this company.

You must also look at the initial cost of the equipment, waste disposal costs for the glycerol, cost of failed reactions and the cost of the "what if i put substandard diesel in my car" then there's the cost of repairs. Fuel tank cleaning isn't cheap, neither is a new fuel pump or injectors

I'm not trying to put you off here, you just have to factor it all in.

I reckon the actual cost of producing the fuel, is somewhere more like 60p per litre.

I would say the real driving force for you producing the fuel wouldn't be to save money, but more that you enjoy the challenge of this organic chemistry.

This is coming from someone who has produced fuels in the past and has made the mistakes.