Changing to Synthetic - Surrey_Scientist

I now do quite a lot of short journeys, and I've heard that fully-syntehtic oil is better for this as it has a lower viscosity when cold so circulates better and much more quickly at start-up, thus reducing wear.

My car is a 1994 Toyota Corolla, with 1.6 16v EFI engine.

I notice the Halfords oil-index in the shops lists fully-syntheitc under the "ultimate protection" column, although I beleive my mechanic has been using semi-synthetic in it.

The car has done 125,000 miles, although oil consumption is extremely low/negligible although I wondeed if in an engine of this age it is advisable to make the switch asI have heard of lots of "stories" about wha tcan happen - increased oil consumption, dislodging bits of gunge from the inside which then blocks things up, seals starting to leak etc.

I have some Exol 5w-40 fully synthetic in the garage which is for another car we own - would this be OK to use in it ? or should I stick to semi-syn

Does anyone have any advice based on concrete evidence and not hearsay.......

Cheers,

SS
Changing to Synthetic - adverse camber
Give it a go and see.

One thing is that 'synthetic' means different things to different people. Some supposedly synthetic oils are actually semi-synth.
Changing to Synthetic - Hamsafar
Most of the problems with switching seem to have been in the late 1980s when it first became more popular. I'm sure you will have no problems with a 5w40 synthetic.
Changing to Synthetic - barchettaman
Advice I have previously received on this site was just to change every 6K / 6 months, whichever came soonest. And, touch wood, it works well. The oil comes out nice and clear, and the 10W/40 stuff I get from France is only ?12 for 5 litres.
I won´t be changing to fully synthetic.
Changing to Synthetic - Roger Jones
www.whatprice.co.uk/car/synthetic-oil.html

www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/M...x

power-lubricants.com/synoils.html

www.oilsandlube.com/auto_secret.htm

www.technilube.com/faqs_info/synth_diff.php

And somewhere else is a Mobil statement explaining that old engines are in no way vulnerable and can benefit from synthetic oil as a new engine does. If I can find it, I'll post the link.
Ah, got it:

tinyurl.com/36gckm

Note the long list of FAQs on the left-hand side. Yes, it's an oil company speaking, but the first thing on the mind of a large-corporate creature is liability for public statements.

Edited by Webmaster on 21/03/2008 at 21:29

I may as well round my posts off with a link to a site that will keep the even oiliest nurd happy for a while:

63.240.161.99/motoroil/