Two weeks (almost) review and update - DP
OK, now had the Volvo just shy of two weeks, during which time I've put about 800 miles on it. Plenty of time to get a good idea of fuel economy, and how the car is going to shape up as a long term ownership prospect. Here are my thoughts so far:

Engine and performance:

Certainly feels as quick as Autocar's 8.2 second 0-60 time. More impressive though is the delivery - creamy smooth, torquey and with next to no lag. It's reported to have a flat torque curve from 2000-5500 RPM. Being a light pressure turbo, the engine still runs a relatively high 9.5:1 compression ratio, meaning it responds well from idle. Definitely the best sounding car I've ever owned. It took a week before I stopped extending the engine over 4k just to listen to it. A lovely mellow warble, but with a nice hard edge under full acceleration. Near silent in normal <=3500 RPM driving. Utterly smooth too, except for a little "vibe" at about 2200 RPM. Not significant enough to worry me, but about the only time you can actually "feel" the engine.
Very long travel throttle, clutch (only about 5,000 miles old) and gearbox, although the latter's shift quality is good and positive. This, combined with a little driveline shunt in the lower gears can make smooth 1st to 2nd changes a bit of an art form, but familiarity improves the situation.

Chassis:

Competent, but not as good as my old Mondeo, and let down mostly by steering that is alarmingly dead, particularly around the straight ahead. There's a little weight as you apply lock, but it feels artificial. The Mondeo's steering was in a different league and you could feel road surface changes and the onset of understeer through the wheel rim which you certainly can't on the S60. Other than that however, the Volvo is perfectly competent. Ride can be a little crashy over really poor surfaces, but soaks up general bumps well. Corners fairly flat unless pushed particularly, and can be driven surprisingly quickly in the lanes, but always feels a little vague and unwieldy after the Mondeo which never felt out of its depth however hard it was driven. Understeers gently at the limit and the tail doesn't want to play even under extreme provovation. I think to expect more from a Volvo is probably unrealistic anyway, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to deal with oversteer in a car with such dead steering. This is more for information anyway, as 95% of this car's use will be motorway or straight A-roads, and it's accomplished and rapid on these roads.

Interior and comfort:

Perhaps a little "black", but the solidity of the construction hits as soon as you sit in it, and is streets ahead of the Mondeo in this respect, as it should be given the new price difference. Ergonomics are superb with everything falling neatly to hand. I love the way the centre of the dash curves toward the driver, and the stubby gearlever with its hand-stitched leather knob and "space ball" gear lever base. The car has brilliant seats that adjust in a multitude of ways and support in all the right places. Driving position is first class, and noise levels are impressively hushed. SWMBO finds the seatbelts too high, and only just long enough with the drivers seat at the furthest forward position - the Mondeo was the same so I'm guessing it's a Ford parts bin problem. Rubbish rear legroom is the other problem, although again it's not a big deal for me as this car is primarily a commuter. As SWMBO put it, it feels like an expensive car when you sit in it, and sounds like one when you drive it. I have to agree. Great spec for an entry level car as well - four electric windows, electric sunroof, electric mirrors, the best standard fit stereo I've ever heard, ABS, stability control, dual zone air-con, cruise, half leather etc etc. And every single thing works as it should.

Durability and finish:

Deeply impressive. 126,000 miles up and the doors still shut with a solid clunk, the interior only creaks over really awful roads, and then it's isolated items rather than the whole thing, and it glides along with very little wind or road noise. The loudest noise under the bonnet with the engine idling is the clicking of the injectors - not a hint of tappet noise, tensioner squeak or anything untoward. Mechanic friend had it on the ramps last week and the only thing he found was front pads getting towards the end of their life. No play in anything and no sign of impending bills. Had the 120k service done 5k late using an OEM filter and Fuchs XTR oil. Done 600 miles since, and none of the fluid levels have budged, although the previous owner (a mate) reckons it does usually need an oil top up or two between services - always has done apparently. Will have it serviced again at 132k which will put it back on course, and clear the engine out a bit after running 5k too long on its last oil.

Fuel economy.

Average so far is 31 mpg, but this does include some hard driving which won't be typical once the novelty of having a bit of power to play with wears off. I reckon once I settle into the commute, I can probably squeeze a few more mpg out of it. I'm going to try Super Unleaded after this tankful as the owners manual actually states the car will deliver optimum performance and economy on higher octane fuel. It will be interesting to see if the extra economy outweighs the extra fuel cost. Range is an easy 450 miles on the 70 litre tank. Will run this tank as low as I dare and brim it with V-Power.

Overall.

It's not perfect, but I like it a lot. Fast, comfy, quiet, smooth, good looking, well made, well equipped. Feels like a massive step up over what I had before even though it's only a year newer and has 20k less.
Well pleased.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - CJay{P}
Very comprehensive review. Interesting read.
31mpg from a 200hp (?) car with 125k on clock and driven enthusiastically - very good. I presume these are brim-to-brim figures?
Yes, brim to brim. There's no computer.

It has 180 bhp. 2.0 light pressure turbo.

Cheers
DP
Two weeks (almost) review and update - TheOilBurner
DP - from what I've read on the Volvo Owners Club, the trip computer can be turned on fairly easily. Have a search over on their forums.

Oh, and a very good fair review I thought.

If leg room every becomes an issue, consider getting an S80, all the virtues of the S60 but a much bigger boot (and better opening), more leg and shoulder room and rock bottom prices. The driving position is slightly better in the S80, IMO.
Only downside I've found with mine is that it's a touch slower and thirstier than the S60 (extra weight I guess) and the handling feels softer and woolier. Other than that, it's the same car in all but name. Easy to find a very high spec one too with goodies like built in GSM phone, DVD sat nav, electric memory seats, etc etc.

I think I may have to keep mine for many, many years, because I'm not sure I could ever quite beat the spec and comfort (2005 S80 D5 Auto SE) and the engine just keeps making me smile, despite being a diesel! :) Maybe a newer S80 is the only way to go...
DP - from what I've read on the Volvo Owners Club the trip computer can
be turned on fairly easily. Have a search over on their forums.

That's good to know - I'll check it out. Cheers!

The display panel is there but it is used just for warning messages such as bulb outages and the like. The rotating collar on the left stalk to select the computer readout is also missing.

It would be really good to enable it. I'll have a look into it.

Would have loved a D5, but it was far more than I wanted to spend at the moment. I've been in an S80 D5 as a passenger and was very impressed.

Cheers
DP
Two weeks (almost) review and update - craig-pd130
Good report, glad you like it.

IIRC these motors use a Siemens ECU which was very sophisticated at the time in its anti-knock & boost control. I was told by two separate Volvo techs that their turbo cars really do benefit from premium fuel because the ECU learns & adapts very quickly.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - P E
Very interesting observations.

I have had my S60 D5 now for just under 2 weeks. It has spent more time back at the supplying garage than with me.

Leaking core plug and now a problem with the boost control valve on the turbo, ut personally I think the intercooler is split judging by the oil I can see on it.

I'd like to reject the car to be honest. Has anyone attempted this and had success?

Could well be the intercooler, they often leak on the D5. Relatively easy and cheap to fix though, they drop out from the bottom of the car at the front. A Volvo dealer should be able to spot that very quickly.

What mileage is it at? Mine's at 33K has been perfect since I had it at 27K, all I've needed to do with clean out the EGR/Plenum mixer chamber, as that does tend to quickly get blocked up with soot on the D5. It was a quick twenty minute job that anyone with a screwdriver can do.

I'm not sure what grounds you have to reject it though, you have to give the supplying dealer chance to repair the faults first. If they are unable/unwilling then you can consider rejecting it.

Edited by TheOilBurner on 20/03/2008 at 11:53

It is has done 110,000 and is on a 53 plate, I spoke to them yesterday and they mentioned I should pay for the labour for this repair. I don't want to pay, primarily for two reasons:

1. I think it is the intercooler at fault, due to volumous amounts of grey/black smoke on acceleration.

2. The car has behaved like this since the day I picked it up so by that rationale the fault must have been there when I bought it.

It's very frustrating when I have only had the car in my possession for less than 5 days out of 2 weeks of ownership!

What did you use to clean the plenum chamber?
P E, I think you're right. It sounds exactly like an intercooler leak.

I'm surprised they want you to pay labour to do it, although the labour charge is the most expensive bit of doing that job. Are they trying to claim betterment or just being idiotic?

I agree that it would have been there since new, and in any case, IIRC any faults that appear in the first 3 months are assumed to have been there when it was bought.

The EGR/ plenum mixer is accessible by removing the two large hoses around the front of the engine, there's some good how-tos on one of the Volvo forums somewhere. It comes down to removing the hoses and the mixer (screws and a couple of bolts), cleaning them out with a few rags (and a hoover for the EGR side to collect loose bits) and putting it back together again. It's mostly just sludgy deposits. Usually, the exit from the EGR is so blocked you can barely get a finger through it.
OilBurner,

I think they're trying it on with me a little bit to be honest. Betterment, in my view would be replacing the two barely legal tyres I know it needs and supplying another key, as the car only came with one.

Basic engine defects are not in that category and I'll not be paying, especially as I don't think the fault is with the boost valve?

I can already foresee a trip back to the garage sometime next week for the garage to look at it again and maybe finally tell me it's the intercooler...

Just had a look at the how-tos on a Volvo forum, some good pictures of a gunked up EGR!
Good luck with that, hopefully the dealer will back down soon enough.

The EGRs get caked up so fast it's a wonder it's a not a routine service item!
Well, they diagnosed a defective valve, a boost pressure valve, I think. Negligible amounts of smoke now.

I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice
Two weeks (almost) review and update - GroovyMucker
I'd like to reject the car to be honest. Has anyone attempted this and had success?

I have a colleague who did. Her second-hand S60 had a repeated problem with the electronics, which meant it spent most of the couple of months she had it in the garage.

The garage bought it back and she now has an A4.

Two weeks (almost) review and update - ex-Triumph man
Glad you like the S60. My wife has a 2006my S60 D5SE which has now done only 24k miles. Wonderfully comfortable and economical. However I am lucky if I can get 12k out of the front Pirelli (Original Equipment) tyres. I have now changed over to Michelin all round. The first thing I noticed was how much heavier the steering was despite correct pressures.
Just brimmed the tank for the third time and averaged 31.4 mpg again. That's three tanks all within 0.5 mpg of each other. I'm impressed at this last one, as we had a late night run back from a meal on Saturday night, on deserted motorways, with the cruise set up in the 90's for a good 30 miles. Otherwise, the car has been driven reasonably gently with only the odd "prod" now and again. Cruising on the commute at 70-80, just as I did in the Mondeo.

This time I've filled up with V-Power (at a wallet-battering £72!) and will work out if any mpg increase offsets the extra cost. At the very least it'll give the fuel system and upper cylinder areas a bit of a cleanout, although if the manual is to be believed, the car will make the most of the extra octane rating. Too early to tell about performance yet, as I've only done a couple of miles since filling up.

Still delighted with the car. In this recent weather, that lovely Swedish heater has come into its own - I have never owned a car which warms up so fast. Tepid air within half a mile, warm within a mile. Lovely!

In response to ex-Triumph man, mine's wearing Dunlop SP Sport 01's which are noisy and not particularly confidence inspiring in the wet. Can't grizzle too much as they were fitted two weeks before I picked the car up, and the seller wouldn't take anything for them. I think a nice set of Conti SportContacts will replace them - had them as OE fit on a company Focus once, and nothing that was fitted over the 99k I did in the car afterwards got close to them.

Will keep you posted on the V-Power MPG versus the standard stuff.

Cheers
DP
DP what size tyre do you have on your S60? I've just had new Dunlop SP Sports put onto mine (205/55 r16) and find the tyre to be very quiet and grippy, though that could be because the old tyres were worn out!

Two weeks (almost) review and update - Paul I
Volvo's tradionally have liked P6000 etc however I agree the Dunlop looks to be the Volvo owners tyre of choice . My Mothers V70 felt better on Dulops than Conti's which were fitted before hand
Sorry, only just checked this thread.

They're 205/55R16s also. Just a bit of rumble, particularly audible at low speeds. I must confess to a prejudice against Dunlop tyres after the fitment of SP Sport 2000's completely wrecked the handling (and I do mean wrecked) of my old 306. I actually changed them after 2,000 miles.

Fuel economy update - 31 mpg consistently on 95 RON. Just brimmed after 1st tank of 99RON and recorded 32.2 mpg. That included a serious thrash for a few miles with a mate who wanted to see how well the car went. In fairness, I also think the car has only just adjusted, as it felt the same as ever for the first few hundred miles (but worse cold starting), and then began to noticeably perk up over the last 100 miles of the previous tank, along with normal starting again. Will see how it goes over the next tankful.

Mind you I've just spanked it home (empty road and was in the mood) so might have wrecked this one before I started ;-)

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 31/03/2008 at 21:47

DP, hope you are getting on well with your S60.

Mine has not been much fun! Wooshing turbo noise has been diagnosed as the engine needing a new turbo unit. The steering rack is leaking and one of the injectors is not working.

I have spoken to the garage I bought it from and they are prepared to take it back in as a part ex for £600 less than what I paid for it just 5 weeks ago. I'll argue the toss on this with them as I have put new tyres on it etc.

So back to looking for a new motor for me.

I still like a Volvo though...

P E
Two weeks (almost) review and update - The Purifier
Hi, I have an S60 2.0T as well and can honestly say I don't feel any difference with 99 octane or 95 octane fuel. The fuel economy is exactly the same with both.

Anyway I've had it for 18 months now and I think its a great car, had no problems so far and the only downside is expensive main dealer servicing (don't trust any independents where I live!). Would definitely recommend one
Hi chaps,

Yes it's going well, and a pleasure to drive. It has become a little jerky on and off throttle in the lower gears of late, but I've noticed a hairline crack in the top engine mount rubber (a common fault I'm told) when I was checking it over the other weekend. This is a cheap, easy repair. Other than that it's not put a foot wrong in the 2 and a bit thousand miles I've covered. Smooth, powerful, reliable (so far) and very, very comfy. Even SWMBO likes it.

adatto - I was getting 30-31 mpg on 95 RON, and I get 33-34 mpg on 99 with quicker starting and much keener part throttle response (although no real difference in outright go). The Super also doesn't pay for itself. I think I'll switch back to 95 after this tank has gone.

On the last tankful, the light came on at 469 miles, and took 63.27 litres to refill. I reckon that's impressive for a turbo petrol engine in such a big car, especially as I do tend to explore the rev range a couple of times on each journey.

P E sorry to hear about the problems you've had. I hope you get something sorted soon.

Cheers
DP
Two weeks (almost) review and update - prm72
Hi, I've had my S60 D5 auto now for 4 weeks and i love it, but i admit it is a bit crashy over bumpy roads i've also got a cracking noise from the front every now and then when going over speed bumps, it did it on the way to work yesterday but coming home i went round all the side roads over about 30 humps and it didn't do it once, confused. but the car is great and i'm getting 45 mpg average from an auto, fantastric.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - naik72
Hi there, i have now had my S60 D5 SE for 4 weeks and also plaesed with it generally. I agree with others however that the ride is a bit harsh for my likeing, compared to my old pug 406's limo like drive. i am getting around 42mpg average which i am quite happy with.
PS, I do have 18's on so i dont suppose they help the ride.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - gmac
i've also got a cracking noise from the front every now and then...

Have you checked the 14mm driveshaft end bolts behind the wheel centre caps ?
They are known to work loose, they also stretch if over torqued.
Couple of new bolts cost less than £5 from a main dealer.
That combined with new lower wishbone bushes have cured the wandering steering and odd noise suffered in my D5 running on 17's.
gmac, no i havn't checked them as it doesn't make any noises when pulling away, its only now and then when going over speed bumps, in fact it hasn't done it at all for the last 3 days
Well, I am wanting to return my S60 D5 to the dealer for a refund (problems including dying turbo, steering rack leak and a suspected injector problem) . He has stated he does not do this and would take it back in part exchange for £650 less than what I paid for it 6 weeks ago.

I have read the relevent faqs on this website and taken some legal advice but when I told the dealer today of my intended course of action he said, "Do what you want."

Any advice would be gladly received. I can envisage a situation of me returning the car on Monday and the dealer not giving me my money back...
Two weeks (almost) review and update - gmac
gmac no i havn't checked them as it doesn't make any noises when pulling away
its only now and then when going over speed bumps in fact it hasn't done
it at all for the last 3 days

That was the odd thing with mine too, prm36. It would not make the noise all the time, but since changing the end bolts no more noises. It might not work on your car but it did for me.

Sorry to hear about your troubles P E. I'm guessing your car is '52 or older ?
Does the car have much of a Volvo history ? If so, they may contribute towards your new injector, and steering rack, and maybe, if you're prepared to have the work all done by Volvo give something towards the turbo too.
I wouldn't count on it though as pre-owned cars from their own dealerships don't count for much in the way of goodwill. Maybe put it down to experience, swallow the £650 as hire charges for 5 weeks motoring and seek out another car as you have some experience of what you are looking for.
The car is a 53 plate. Only the first 2 services were done by a Volvo dealer, the rest were done by an independent.

It is an experience I don't want to repeat. I'll let you know how I get on with the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Part exchanged the Volvo for a Focus at another garage yesterday afternoon. Taking into account the new tyres I bought for the Volvo and the depreciation it cost me £1150 to own that car from 7th March to 29th April.

Volvo S60 - 7 weeks and out!

Two weeks (almost) review and update - The Purifier
That's a shame you've been that unlucky with yours. The majority are very good cars and I think are a very good all round package. Better luck with the Focus
Really sorry to hear you couldn't get a satisfactory resolution to your problems.

Good luck with the Focus. If it's anything like the mk1 I had it will rack up 100,000 miles without so much as a murmur. My old company 52 plate TDDi LX is, by a country mile, the most unfailingly reliable car it has ever been my pleasure to experience. One non-routine/consumable replacement part in 100k of hard use, and still drove like new even at the end. And it was not treated gently.

There are two mk2 Focuses in our family (a 1.8 petrol, and 1.8 TDCi), and all have given superb service. I hope yours is the same.

Enjoy it!

Cheers
DP
I was very pleased with my old Mondeo which went to 150,000 miles with very very little going wrong. The Focus is a 56 plate 1.6 petrol 'Sport'. The management has just been out driving it and she likes it so that's a bonus!

I liked the Volvo and realise I was just very unlucky/naive not to have checked it over more thoroughly first. That combined with a belligerent dealer - who now has a complaint lodged against them with trading standards - will lead me to stick to mass market cars I know better.

I will no doubt join in discussions when Focus are mentioned.

Thanks to all again.
OK, she clicked over 130,000 miles last week, and just thought I'd post another quick update.

The car is continuing to run very well, and provide swift and ultra comfortable transport. I recently completed an exhausting 10 non-stop day working trip to Germany, and to sink into the Volvo's armchair seats when I returned, and to waft down the motorway in cruise controlled, air-conditioned comfort was a big help. I don't think I will ever tire of this car's ability to cosset and soothe. Not in the sense of a big Jag with wood and leather, but just with a near perfect driving position, fabulous seats, low noise levels, and that lovely, distant, mellow warble from the engine which intrudes at *just* the right level when you're working it hard, but is barely audible at other times. Oh, and it smacks of quality. Again, not the "in yer face" expensive looking swish chrome and fancy panel lighting of a German car, but with materials that have just shrugged off 130,000 miles without succumbing to rattles or creaks or much in the way of visible wear.

I really can't over-emphasise the belly warming feeling of absolute solidity that oozes from this car. From the sound the doors make when you close them, to the unbreakable feeling switchgear (not quite the case - more later) and well damped controls. It's a nice place to be, and a confidence inspiring one to install your family and go for a drive. Main family hack detail is the responsibility of our Grand Scenic, and it does the job almost perfectly, but I am happy to have the kids in here and know they are safe. My eldest (3 years old) is smitten with the colour, and calls it "Daddy's yellow gold car". She says it's "bumpy" compared to mummys car - perhaps 3 year olds should be enlisted by car companies to judge ride quality. She's right though - the lumpy low speed ride is my biggest gripe about the car.

So, 4,000 miles up and what's broken? Very little actually. The top engine mount rubber decided to impersonate a piece of Swiss cheese, but was replaced complete with its bracket and for a new, uprated design for forty quid and half an hour's work. This made smooth gearchanges and on/off throttle transitions possible again. The indicator stalk is starting to play up as well. When indicating left, sometimes it seems as though the switch is not making proper contact. Right turns are fine, so I suspect it's just the switch - twenty quid on Ebay, or thirty for the one with the fuel computer controls, which will also need a software update from Volvo to activate the computer. I might kill two birds with one stone and get the DRLs turned off at the same time.

Oh, and I had to top up the PAS fluid, but this has remained at its new level ever since, so I'm not sure what caused that.

Other than those two issues, not a single problem. It hasn't used a drop of oil - visibly, at least - since it was serviced, 6,000 miles late, 4,000 miles ago, and has never even looked like letting me down. The front discs and pads are going to make the service at 132k (I want to get the schedule back on track with Volvo recommendations), but not much more, but other than that, no funny noises, no odd characteristics and no signs of impending doom.

I am well pleased with the car, even if it is going to cost the wrong side of three hundred quid to tax from next year thanks to the thieves in Whitehall. It still seems like an unbelievable amount of car for 2.5k!

Cheers
DP
Thanks DP, keep em coming, i always like to read good things about Volvo's. Had mine for 3 months now ( S60 D5 auto 05 plate ) and it is a dream to drive, just changed the worn out Pirellis for Falken 452's and the ride and steering has improved a lot.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - Paddler Ed
For servicing have a look at if it counts for Volvo Essentials servicing; my 7yo 196k V70 was serviced for £130 at the main dealer (after ringing around 2 of them for the best price) last month... and it still counts as a full stamp in the book and on the electronic record for the car

More details here: www.volvocars.com/uk/salesandservices/maintenance/...x

Judging by your statement of the tax bill for it then you may find that it's still a bit too new

Hope it helps makes the ownership more bearable!
Two weeks (almost) review and update - naik72
Thanks DP , really useful. I have now had my 0454 S50 D5 DE for 3 months and 2k miles and report no problems (fingers crossed). I completely agree the low speed ride is seriously bone crsushing and cant understand why the high speed ride is so different? i am gettting about 36mpg around town and about 45 mpg on the motorway.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - boxsterboy
I was passenger in an S60 this weekend for the first time. A mate's 54-reg 75k mile diesel. Yes, the seats were very comfortable, the engine smooth and the doors felt solid. Compared pretty well with my Merc C320 CDI (although not as quick ...)
Two weeks (almost) review and update - 659FBE
You wouldn't say that if you were sitting in the middle seat in the back.

I get the use of one of these occasionally. It's good to drive if a little bumpy and compared with my VAG diesel (this is an auto petrol) it has an insane appetite for fuel. My real problem with this car is that it's a reverse Tardis. Other than in the front, there's absolutely no room in it.

Two weeks (almost) review and update - MichaelR
Great to hear how well you are getting on with this car. It's amazing the buys that can be had if you ignore Joe Publics ridiculous notion of high mileage cars. Your experiences tally with those I've had with my 5 Series which is now the wrong side of 160,000 miles yet still feels every bit as solid as the brand new ones I get as loan cars when it goes for a service.
OK well it's been almost exactly six months, so I thought I'd add another update.

In reliability terms, it's been remarkably undramatic since the last report. The weirdness with the column stalk has never recurred, and needless to say I still haven't got around to getting the computer enabled!

I've replaced the front brake pads and discs which were picked up as being imminent when I bought the car, I've put fuel in it, topped up the washer bottle periodically, and done the 132,000 mile service myself one Sunday afternoon (just an oil and filter change and a check over). That's been about it. The next service (144k) is a major and involves new spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter. I will entrust that one to my friendly mechanic.

Despite my initial concerns over running a turbo petrol engine at this mileage, the engine still seems to be very healthy. It turns over for about a second and fires up every morning, rain or shine, still pulls like a train, sounds sweet and smooth, and didn't need an oil top up between the last two services. It also posted emission figures on the recent MOT which were comfortably within limits. I haven't gone as far as compression and oil pressure tests, but it's still oil tight, gutsy and smooth. Clean too, if the recent MOT emission printout is to be believed.

Fuel economy has stuck resolutely over 30 mpg, which I think is excellent for a car of this size, engine output and mileage. Amazingly, I once managed to eke a surprising 39 mpg out of it on one tankful, sticking to 65-70 on a traffic-free 400 mile motorway trip. I have never repeated this, but I have come to expect 33-34 mpg on a tankful if I've been driving legally, and am rarely disappointed. Since my initial experiments, I haven't bothered with premium fuel, as I don't think the cost is worth it. The car has run almost exclusively on a diet of Esso or Shell 95 RON, with the odd tank from Tesco. That said, with V-Power now well under 90p, I might run a few tanks through just to clean the system out.

The Dunlop SP01s were retired this week in favour of four new Pirelli P6000s (fronts down to about 2mm after 15k, one older rear just about legal), and together with a four wheel tracking job has made the car feel much sharper. The P6000s were dreadful for the first 20 miles or so and I thought I'd made an awful mistake, but now scrubbed in they are an improvement over the Dunlops in every way. Wet weather traction is much improved, and noise levels are lower. I've always liked the P6000s after running them on my old company Focus for 100k. They grip well, and they last.

With fresh rubber, and the tracking set up correctly (too much toe out before), the car feels refreshed and is driving very well. The seems to have dialled out the slightly vague feel that had crept in on the steering in recent months. I recall it doing something similar on my old Mondeo, although as mentioned before, the S60's "feel" and dynamics are still not a patch on the Mondeo's, and remain my biggest gripe. That said, the isolation from the road does have considerable refinement benefits, so there is a trade off.

Took it down for its first MOT in my hands today, and passed with a completely clean sheet. Not so much as an advisory. That said, with the brakes and tyres replaced in the last month, more expense would have been extremely unwelcome.

Here's to the next 6 months. I'm very much still taken with this car, and have no plans to part company with it while it continues to be so reliable, and just generally so nice to own. The 11-ish pence a mile fuel costs of late are a bonus, too.

Cheers
DP
Two weeks (almost) review and update - Alby Back
Mmm Sounds good DP. I have been sort of fancying a V70 ( need the room ) on and off for a couple of years. Been a while but I had a good experience of a pair of 850s ( one was a T5 ) and a 940 which while no ball of fire was a trusty thing.

Note to self -

Don't need another car at the moment........

;-)
Thanks DP, i've had my S60 D5 for 9 months now and still love it, just the usual tyres and pads, oil & filter replacements. Humph keep the Signum a bit longer, but when your ready the Volvo is a nice car.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - captain chaos
Note to self -
Don't need another car at the moment........
;-)

Go on HB. You know you want to... ;-)
Two weeks (almost) review and update - Paddler Ed
My V70's now up to 206,500 miles and passed it's MOT with no advisories straight through this week. Think they just keep going on and on if they're looked after properly.

Interesting about the Dunlop SP 01's; I've got them on mine and I'm not a massive fan of them at the moment (spin a bit too easily on corners...)

Mine's also running at about 11p per mile, which I'm quite happy with

Edited by Paddler Ed on 10/01/2009 at 19:39

Two weeks (almost) review and update - Brian Tryzers
Haven't tried SP 01s on the Volvo, although I have a feeling they may be the Dunlops that came factory-fitted on our Verso. (Anyone else here have a garage of cars named after Latin verbs? Audi, I suppose.)
I'm planning to replace them when the time comes with Michelin Primacy HP, which have made my S60 a much nicer car at speed than it was on P6000s. Expensive tyres, but worth the extra. Seem to be wearing well too.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - MartinJB1
Hi there - after much humming & hawing and thinking about my next car, especially around the comfort zone as I have a bad back, I opted for an S60. Got a '55 plate 49K'er from a Volvo garage, an S60T SE auto with sunroof and rear parking sensors, leather etc., FVSH, 4 new tyres, fresh MOT, a year's RT and a full 1 year's Volvo Warranty for £6900. All I can say after a month is that this is definitely the best car by far that I have ever driven or been driven in & I celebrated 40 years' driving last year. Superior seats, the sound system beats the one at home, it's soooo quiet and smooth. Downside is that I do a lot of city driving so most of my mpg is (very) low 20s - ouch! Mainly the 2 of us in the car so no worries about rubbish rear space. So to all those contemplating an S60, buy one and you'll not be disappointed.
Two weeks (almost) review and update - Chris White
Downside is that I do a lot of city driving so most of my mpg is (very)
low 20s - ouch!

Are you getting this reading this from the on-board computer or calculating this yourself?

From the on-board computer in my 51-plate 77k 2.0T I'm getting 30mpg from mainly city driving with the occasional long journey.

I haven't yet calculated this manually, but I only do 6k-7k miles per year so I'm not really too concerned.

Chris
Two weeks (almost) review and update - MartinJB1
On-board - is it that far-out?
Two weeks (almost) review and update - Chris White
Next time I fill up I'll do a brim to brim check to get an accurate reading.

Edited by Chris White on 12/01/2009 at 23:10

Martin / Chris,

For reference, the one tankful that consisted of lots of short run urban stuff (over Xmas / New Year period) came in at 28 mpg overall. Now I'm back into the commute it's up well into the 30's again.

I think the choice of manual/auto transmission makes a big difference on these cars.

Edited by DP on 18/01/2009 at 19:27