2002 HDI 90 Engine Rumble at Idle - Whisky
Hi, My car has started making a grumbling noise at idle. This was first accompanied by a higher pitch "whine" a few weeks ago which I guessed was the water pump. So I changed that (which was completely knackered) together with the cam belt and Aux belt and assumed a fix. However a week later and the whine has gone, and the rumble has resurfaced.

The problem is only noticable with a warm engine and only when waiting in slow moving traffic, when coasting (there is a few hills on my route that traffic builds up on) I can't hear the grumble. Only when the car is stationary can it be heard. When the water pump was changed, I did inspect the other pulleys etc although I'll admit not very thoroughly.

I have had the car about 4 years now and I know everything has been serviced at the right times etc, it has about 120k on the clock.

Any ideas would be appreciated, personnally I'm stumped. Cheers.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention its only really audible inside the car, from listening in the engine bay its very hard to hear.
2002 HDI 90 Engine Rumble at Idle - 659FBE
Crankshaft pulley failure is a favourite on these engines. The bonded metal/rubber TV damper breaks up. Check carefully - a rusty ring on the pulley and a few bits of metal are a giveaway.

It had a new pulley on about 30k ago, whenever the cam belt was last changed. And thinking about it I gave the pulley a real good clean as I managed to get coolant all over it :) did not notice any wear or rust though.
2002 HDI 90 Engine Rumble at Idle - zookeeper
is it possibly clutch related ? any difference in the noise when you dip the the clutch?
No, the noise stays the same, I had a very careful listen this morning and the noise doesn't start until I come to a dead stop. If I rev the engine a touch it sounds fine but the noise returns at idle.
Just a quick update, I've discovered that if i wiggle the gear stick with the clutch depressed when sat at lights I can sometimes make the noise go away for 1-2 secs, I have very little experience of gearboxes/clutchs so could this mean anything?

Turbo has picked up a funny whine at about 2800 revs now as well. Think this car could cost me a lot of money in the near future.
2002 HDI 90 Engine Rumble at Idle - DL
Noises are very difficult to pinpoint on a forum like this - only a skilled technician listening to the car in real life will be able to advise.

I'm in Somerset and Peugeot trained if that helps.