1999 1.1x - Alternator questions - Man without a plan
Hi guys,

I have a clunky / grindy / rumbly (not quite sure how to describe it) noise coming from (i'm almost certain) the alternator on my 99T Citroen Saxo 1.1x {obviously not seen the 3 separate requests to include the year/engine info in the subject header}

I think it might be the bearings.

Does this mean I need a whole new alternator or can you replace the bearings?

Anyone any idea how much it normally costs for a garage to replace an alternator?

Given that the car is only worth about £500 and then MOT is coming up when it will need brakes and probably a few other bits, i'm in two minds whether to just sell spares / repairs...

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2008 at 10:14

1999 1.1x - Alternator questions - 659FBE
You can replace the bearings in the alternator but unless you do it yourself it's barely cost effective. You need a press and spacer tubes to do it properly and on the Valeo machine usually fitted to these cars, the stator assembly has to be disconnected from the slip ring end bracket to gain acess to the drive end bearing. Make sure you have the right spanners to get the machine off the engine - all is not competely straightforward here.

In my experience, the belt idler roller bearing gives far more trouble than the alternator and I would look here first before condeming the machine. INA seem to forget to put the grease in these - I have seen a few dry bearings. If the bearing is not too far gone, you can lever out the seal (carefully) grease the bearing and push back the seal - good bangernomic engineering.

Thanks very much 659!
Sorry, hit the enter key by mistake...

Meant to say...

Just started her up and the noise is def. coming from the alternator...

It seems to be excessive vibration coming from the alternator... when I hold the alternator with both hands with the engine running, it seems to stop the vibrations and stop the noise...

Could it really be as simple as tightening it up?!?!
It could be. The mounting is slightly unorthodox with a slotted front bracket on the machine and a sliding tapped steel bush on the slip ring end bracket. From memory, you need a 20.8 mm AF cranked ring spanner to tighten the main bolt - maybe that's why it's loose.

Removing the idler bracket first (marginally) improves the access.

Cheers again for the help...

A few quick turns and it was tight again... started her up and she purrs like a..... citroen saxo... :-)

Cheers
1999 1.1x - Alternator questions - yorkiebar
" you need a 20.8 mm AF cranked ring spanner"

And where do you get your tools from?
1999 1.1x - Alternator questions - jc2
20.8=13/16" but surely METRIC.

Edited by jc2 on 24/03/2008 at 12:33

Old diesel Mercedes glowplug spanner - perfect fit.

1999 1.1x - Alternator questions - yorkiebar
Didnt realise they were 20.8 mm :)