Gearbox Oil Checks - Mike M
Can anyone tell me where the gearbox oil filler is on my 406 HDi. The Haynes manual doesn't do HDi's yet and as the car is new-to-me, I'm keen to give it a thorough once-over despite its full service history. Ta.

Just as a supplementary to this (and the reason why I want to check the Pug), some time ago my wife bought a 5 year-old Polo with a full (mainly dealer) service history. On checking the gearbox, it took nearly half a pint to bring the level up to the filler plug. There were no oil leaks from the gearbox and the plug looked as if it had not been disturbed from new. Rumour has it that some mechanics don't check unless they have cause to. Can't be true - can it?

Mike
Gearbox Oil Checks - Cyd
On most cars the only service required on the gearbox oil is to check the level every two years. Generally no oil change is specified. Often this is one of the items left out in order to cut the cost of servicing.
Like you I believe in checking this item regularly. I also change the oil in the box whenever I buy a car and every 3 years thereafter. Currently I have Torco Synthetic MTF in my Rovers box. Red Line also do an excellent synth MTF, both available from Demon Tweeks. Pricey, but well worth it I believe.
You should be able to find the fill plug if you look carefully - or why not ask your dealer.
BTW - I find a length of clear plastic tubing and a small funnel an excellent tool for filling, most box fillers are very inaccessible.
Gearbox Oil Checks - steve paterson
The oil filler plug isn't always a level indicator. Some manufactures recommend a level some distance below the point at which oil would run out. Draining and refilling with the correct amount is the ONLY way of being sure with some gearboxes.
Gearbox Oil Checks - Ian Cook
Mike

Have a look under the front left wheel arch (you may need to remove the road wheel). If the 406 HDi is anything like other XUD engined Cit/Pugs then the filler is likely to be on the end cover of the gearbox.

Ian Cook
Many thanks Ian - I've just checked and you're right. It's the large bolt bottom right on the end cover. You can't see it from below so need to take the roadwheel and wheelarch protector off (a 5 minute job). Thanks for the tips Cyd, I'll see what synthetics my local motorman has in stock - like you, I feel more comfortable with fresh oil in the box, especially after 60k. Steve P - my handbook tells me to check the level, so I assume that the correct level is to the bottom filler plug.

Mike
Gearbox Oil Checks - Rich Mixture
Mike M,

Have you done this drain and refill yet? How did you get on? The Haynes manual says this job is an "awkward operation" and it's on my list of things to do to my 406 so I'm interested in how straightforward you found it. BTW - What oil did you use and how much?

Thanks

Rich
Rich,

If only all jobs were this easy! This is on the HDi version - others may differ. Remove the front and back soundproofing guards from under the engine. The gearbox drain plug is at the lowest point under the diff. To refill, remove nearside wheel and front half of the plastic wheelarch protector (note the screws have torx heads). The filler plug is the large bolt head on the gearbox end plate. Capacity is 1.9 litres. I used Millers TRX, a semi-synthetic transmission oil at £6.49 per litre from my usual motor factor. (I've used Millers oils for the past 10 years, especially their semi-synthetic diesel oil, XFE, and find them great - see www. millersoils.co.uk).

Hope this is of help.

Mike
Gearbox Oil Checks - Rich Mixture
Mike,

Thanks for the information. I must do this job soon!

Cheers

Rich
Gearbox Oil Checks - howard
About 8 years ago, a friend of mine was driving his '87 Audi 80 back from the west country, when his gearbox suddenly seized up, dipping the clutch enabled him to stop OK, but on questioning the mechanic at the garage was told that this occurrence wasn't totally unheard of! The cause was insufficient gearbox oil- I was running a VW GTI at the time with similar (if not exactly the same) engine / transmission, so I checked my geabox level and found it took approx 1/2 litre to bring it up to the filler hole.(The correct level according to the Haynes manual)
There was no sign of a leak on either car so it is possible that they were underfilled at the factory for some reason. It might pay people with similar 'boxes to check their levels