Which car to buy? - Blue {P}
Well, it's been a while since I've started something that will no doubt stir up a hornets nest, so here goes!

I'm going to be changing cars this year, the first to go will be the Mondeo V6, I'm putting it on Ebay as soon as I know that the TF is back up to full strength following the HGF.

At the height of summer, around late July, I intend to sell the TF and will most likely be looking for a diesel. :-(

I know I said that I wouldn't get a diesel, but there is a possibility (I will know for certain by July) that my mileage may take a sudden increase above the 20,000 mark for which I think a diesel may be best suited.

The cars that I'm considering are as follows:-

MG ZT CDTi 04 model on - I like this car a lot, it looks good, drives well (apparently), has the BMW diesel engine but without the BMW problems (failing turbo and inlet manifold).

Ford Mondeo TDCi Ghia X 53 reg onwards - love the spec on these following the facelift and I think they're pretty comfortable, tyres should wear slower than the MG, parts will never be a problem but I've heard tales of MAF, EGR and injector problems.

Jag X Type 2.0d Sport - As per the Mondeo really, also concerned at possible discontinuation leading to plummeting resale values.

Volvo S60 D5 Sport - I really like these to sit in, but only like the looks of ones following the 2004 facelift. Heard of no major problems apart from heavy tyre wear and some injector problems. Concerned that this may be replaced soon and consequently the resale value of older ones will plummet.

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport - Again, I would only have the 53 reg model onwards, I don't like the old ones, probably a bit too small and a bit spartan, but I like the look of the car and it's the only diesel that doesn't seem to have common problems whilst still returning good mpg.

Audi A4 2.0 TDI Sport - As per the A3, but I only like the S-Line model.

So, what would the backroom buy?

Budget is circa £6K, I'd be asking Joe Dowd to look out for whichever car I get to ensure that I get a decent price.

(typo in header amended)

Edited by Webmaster on 16/03/2008 at 12:07

Which car to buy? - Avant
If it were me, I'd have one of the Audis, but then I'm biased perhaps. However I may be wrong but I don't think you'd get a 53-reg A3 for £6,000, or even any A3 with the 2.0 TDI engine (I can't remember when that came in).

You'd get a newer Mondeo for that money, and more of the depreciation would have been suffered by the first owner as usual with Fords. You'd need to check parts availability with the MG.

Maybe the job that's going to get you doing 20k a year will pay you well enough to up your budget?
Sadly my pay won't go up, if anything it will cut, it's a graduate job that I'm applying for as it gives me the chance to widen my experience, however, I'm spoiled as I'm already earning a graduate level salary and have been for nearly 2 years whilst still studying!

Unfortunately I won't be able to up the budget as I'm already trying to run a house on my own and I can only really spend the equity tat I have in my current cars.

I know that I'm probably asking a little early, but it's truly starting to play on my mind now about what I'm going to do, I've never been stuck for choice with cars before, I've always known exactly what I want every time that I went looking!

Oh my goodness, I've just seen an advert for a local 530D Sport, wasn't wanting to change this early, but it's big and black and it's got alcantara, if it's not sold I'm going to go and view it tomorrow.

Mmmmmmm, 530D. Dribble, dribble :-)

Quite right - go get it.

Edited by Pugugly on 17/03/2008 at 06:48

Which car to buy? - DP
I've just bought a 2.0T petrol S60, and in terms of build quality, fit and finish, noise levels, refinement, and comfort, it is the best car I have owned by a country mile (including two VW's). Totally painless to live with, and the kind of car you just look forward to sinking into at the end of a long day. The D5 engine is apparently a gem.
If I were hacking around the lanes, I'd buy something else, but I'm not, and it's brilliant.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 17/03/2008 at 07:09

Which car to buy? - Ed V
I'd guess the Ford will cost less in upkeep which will be important for you.
Which car to buy? - Happy Blue!
Is that the Mondeo Ford, X-type Ford or the S60 Ford???
Which car to buy? - teabelly
None of the above, get an alfa and carry on having fun :-) You may need 2 as it'll break down but you could keep one of your cars or get a cheap fun thing like a 205 gti which won't mind the odd week of commuting while the other car is on the ramps.

Or pay a grand for a xantia diesel and keep the other 5k for something fun for the weekends. What you pay in repairs will cover the depreciation on anything you buy as 20k a year will kill any resale value really fast. Or if you like to gamble get a citroen c5. No one likes them but they are extremely comfortable and well specced. Citroen can't give them away and by the time you've finished with it it will be knackered anyway ;-)
Which car to buy? - brg190 pete
Blue

I've recently bought a ZT190+ (hence changed my user name from primera man!). I have had a couple of hiccups with it (one being an accident which put the car off the road for 7 weeks), but, overall, I am very pleased with it (touch wood).

It's extremely refined, feels very well built, looks fantastic and is very quick - although I think I actually drive it more slowly than the Primera because it's so great to waft along in. OK, it only does 28 mpg and will be penalised under the VED changes, but I still love it. Oh, and for what you get, they are very cheap. The ride is very good on smooth roads, but a little fidgety on poorer surfaces - only to be expected with a sporty car.

I did worry about parts supply, but all I can say is that all the parts I needed after the accident were readily available.

Before buying my car, I did consider the more sensible option of going for a ZT diesel. I test drove one, but really didn't like it. The car was very nose-heavy, the brakes seemed to struggle with the weight and it just felt like an old-fashioned noisy diesel. TBH, I felt the diesel engine just didn't suit the sporty nature of the ZT. It may be that the car I tried was unrepresentative, because the diesel owners on the R75/MG ZT forum all seem to rave about their cars.

But personally, I wouldn't go for a diesel ZT. I'd recommend the ZT190+ I have. They'll be even cheaper now with the VED changes. My annual mileage is ~14k, and I reckon it will cost me another £600 per year in fuel over the Primera, which to me is a price I'm prepared to pay. But a 190 would probably not be a good idea with an annual mileage of 20k. Of course, you might be able to consider a 190 if you don't go for the job you're considering and your annual mileage is less.

If you have any other queries on the ZT, let me know.