Front springs - superdog
Hi!
Just had the unsettling experience of the front suspension collapsing on my 2001 Focus 1.8.
Fortunately it happened in a car park doing 10 mph. Ford agent confirmed that both front coil springs broke. The car has had no arguments with kerbs or potholes. Anyone else had this experience with a Focus?
Front springs - Peter D
Yes they have. Blamed on either corrosion of the spring or speed bumps. Some breakages have forced the spring through the tyre. Regards Peter
Front springs - jc2
And not just Ford-there has been a lot of correspondence on here about broken springs particularly VW/MB.
Front springs - Dynamic Dave
When our previous van at work (a Citroen Berlingo) went in for a service I was asked if the suspension mod had been done. Not to my knowledge I replied. When I collected said van later that day I noticed that they had fitted cups to the lower part of the McPherson struts to help stop the coil springs hitting the tyres in case of failure in the future.
Front springs - quizman
Yes a front spring broke on my wife's 2002 Focus. Very poor IMO.
Front springs - Snakey
Yes my 2004 Vectra front spring snapped on the way a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately I was doing around 30mph and pulled over just in time before the tyre burst.

The AA bloke said is was the 2nd most common reason for his callouts (the first being misfuelling) and that Vauxhalls, Rovers and BMWs were the most 'popular' offenders!

Rubbish roads and stupid speed bumps everywhere and thats the result!
Front springs - Giff
I was pulling away in my husbands 2000 focus when front spring snapped. Scary thing is that he uses this car to commute on the motorway every day. Thank goodness it happened with me on the drive. Very scary when you think of the possible consequences on this happening at any speed. Even at 30mph like Snakey was doing it could have been very nasty.
Front springs - Ravenger
It's not just Fords. Both front springs broke spontaneously overnight on my previous car - a Citroen Xsara estate.

Very conveniently just before I was due to drive several hundred miles to see an old school friend I'd not seen in 30 years...
Front springs - Carse
A few years ago my 2001 Focus front right spring broke in a local supermarket car park.

Carse
Front springs - martint123
I had a front and rear spring break within a couple of weeks on my mx5.
The rear one dropped off the hanger onto the driveshaft making a "considerable" noise.
Front springs - MikeTorque
On the Ford cars, which models are having the broken spring problems ?
Zetec or non-zetec ? They use different springs hence the query.