1996 1.9TDI Estate - clunking from rear susp - steelghost
When going over any kind of broken up surface eg potholes, choppy tarmac at speeds between about 30 and 55 there is a loud and "hollow" sounding clunk from the rear suspension (which is of the twist beam type en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twist-beam_rear_suspension ). From the drivers seat it seems to be coming from in the boot...somewhere, but it's very tricky to hear accurately behind you! It sounds like someone slapping a large empty cardboard box (the kind a TV might be delivered in) hard with an open hand.

The car has had replacement rear roadsprings (about two years ago, originals had cracked due to build up of salt-soaked mud in rear wheel arches - replacements not OEM - but done by respected local independent) and new rear shocks (Monroe SA-R3888s - done by ATS, possibly a bad idea). Looking underneath the vehicle the rubber bushings where the rear suspension joins on underneath looks to be original - do these wear out at all? Sitting on the boot floor with tailgate open and bouncing up and down reveals no untoward noises (even with 25 stone of me and a mate)

Any thoughts? It doesn't seem to be a serious functional problem but it's not pleasant for rear passengers (or front passengers, come to that) but I wonder if it's indicative of something I ought to get looked at?

Oh, and the car has done 116,000 miles or so.

Thanks in advance!
CMc

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/03/2008 at 12:22

1996 1.9TDI Estate - clunking from rear susp - DL
I expect it is the large H frame mounting bushes that are knackered, mcf.

When these fail, they give rise to a nasty knocking/thumping noise from the rear axle area when going over bumps etc just as you are getting.

They need to be pressed in, so it's not a DIY job.
1996 1.9TDI Estate - clunking from rear susp - steelghost
Thanks for the reply DL. Hmm. So for a competent garage, not necessarily a huge job? If it was (say) a couple of hours labour plus the price of the bushings I'd be quite tempted to get that sorted out. Guess I need to get some quotes...thanks!