2004 1.8S Auto erratic mpg after service! - Ken300
Hi,

In October last year I bought an '04 reg Almera 1.8S Auto with 20,000 miles on the clock. In Feb it was due for a service (at 29,000 miles) so we took it to our local nissan main dealer.

When we picked it up it started hesitating (particularly under acceleration) & wouldn't rev very high without making alot of noise. It went back to the dealer & it was found to be a faulty spark plug fitted on the service. When this was replaced it completely solved the problem and it drives perfectly now but there's one problem.

We regularly check our fuel consumption (by the 'fill-the-tank-up' method) & before the service we were consistently getting 36 to 38mpg. Since the spark plug problem we've used 7 tanks of fuel (doing 2,500ish miles) & got the following mpg figures:

First tank after the spark plug problem = 30mpg
Second tank = 30mpg
Third tank = 38mpg
Fourth tank = 30mpg
Fifth tank = 35mpg
Sixth tank = 32mpg
Seventh (& last) tank = 32mpg

It's running perfectly, no problems at all, there aren't any warning lights on the dashboard, the brake pads were replaced on the service & the brake callipers were fine (plus it's accelerating and braking OK) so it's not the brakes binding & there doesn't seem to be any black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

The dealer has said that they can't think of anything that was done on the service that could cause the mpg problem & that all they can do is to do an emissions test (to check the engine's running OK) & 'reset' the engine management system.

Has anyone heard of this type of problem (particularly with Nissans!) before or has anyone got any suggestions????

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/03/2008 at 18:47

2004 1.8S Auto erratic mpg after service! - yorkiebar
I can't help with solid advice but can add that many times after I have done work on a car I have had lots of odd comments following, so garage may be a little defensive; and are offering a sensible action.

I have had comments such as, ever since the service the radio won't hold the stations. Ever since you did my brakes my wipers dont work properly. etc etc etc.

I am not saying you are implying such as this, but the garage may just be thinking that you are suggesting they have done something they havent! :)

In a service there isnt much they can do to worsen mpg; assuming they have done what they have done correctly.

And just as an aside, in way too many years of being involved with cars i have never experienced a faulty spark plug after recent installation. Broken/damaged ones, poor performing ones yes; but faulty never.
Yorkiebar,

I take your point about the dealer probably being defensive if they feel we're blaming them but it's almost like they're refusing to investigate it properly. I'd be quite happy if they said 'we'll investigate but if it's not our fault we'll charge you for it' but they seem to be saying that if they do an emissions test & reset the engine management system & it's still not right then they won't do anything else to find what's wrong!

Do you think checking the emissions & resettng the engine management system is a reasonable course of action?

Thanks!
2004 1.8S Auto erratic mpg after service! - Optimist
I've got an 01 1.8SE+ auto and I think you've been doing incredibly well to get the mpg you have.

I've only had the emissions checked for the MOT but I suppose that would identify if the mixture was too rich. I've no idea why the engine management system would need re-setting. Wouldn't they check this with the hand-held computer first? On mine it plugs into a SCART underneath the dash and seems to report on what the car's been up to.

As you can tell I'm not a technician.

2004 1.8S Auto erratic mpg after service! - Aretas
My car is not a Nissan but I find its fuel consumption is fairly sensitive to outside temperature. eg 30mpg when it is around freezing and 36 when temp is above 10C.
Aretas - if you find that the temperature affects your mpg that dramatically then that could go at least some way to explain my fluctuations in mpg too!

I've never noticed the dip in fuel economy in cold weather being as dramatic as this on my previous cars but then I haven't monitored what mpg I'm getting as closely as I do with this one!

Optimist - what mpg do you usually get & how much of your driving is motorway/urban stuff. My girlfriend uses the car for work mainly & each day does around 40 miles motorway, 15 miles fast 'A' roads & 15 miles urban, is that at all similar to you & do you use your air-con?

Thanks!
2004 1.8S Auto erratic mpg after service! - pyruse
We have a 1.8 SE auto (54 plate), and get MPG from 32 (urban), to 36 (mixed used) all the way up to 45 (long motorway runs at a steady 70 mph). So it does vary quite a bit in normal use.
MPG drops quite a bit if you are heavy with your right foot, but it certainly goes well if you need the acceleration.
2004 1.8S Auto erratic mpg after service! - Optimist
I usually get around 30 overall and quite alot of that is shortish runs. I also tend to put my foot down a bit.
I know for the last few weeks (since around the time of the service come to think of it!) there has been some road works causing quite a bit more congestion than normal on the motorway my girlfriend commutes on so, at the risk of sounding really stupid, the variation in mpg COULD be explained away by the congestion & not necessarily a fault!

Even though I'd feel a fool if it did turn out to be these roadworks, that's great if it won't cost anything to fix!

Thanks!