BigHorn...in my dreams - legacylad
Having just finished uploading my recent holiday snaps to Shutterfly, I wondered how much it would cost to buy my rented vehicle. Looking at various dealer websites in California, I could purchase a pre owned 2008 registered 5.7L V8 Hemi quad cab for $27k plus sales tax of 7.75%. With gas currently costing the equivalent of £1.70 per gallon, average consumption of 11/13 mpg doesn't sound too bad.
I accept that it is socially irresponsible, but now I understand why trucks in the US are getting ever larger. At that price, it would almost be a crime not to drive one! As a previous poster said ''the golden age of motoring is coming to an end'', so thank you very much, I'll be selfish and have some of it whilst it lasts.....and I bet quite a few of you would join me! My only concession would be to walk anywhere less than 2 miles travelling.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/03/2008 at 16:33

Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - mike hannon
>Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams<

Don't worry, you'll grow out of dreams like that...;-)
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - SteVee
I can well understand the attraction of these big trucks - the bigger the better.
On Fifth gear, they had a section on the Daytona 500 and had film of a *HUGE* truck that was really impressive. I saw a similar big truck in LA at xmas and it certainly attracted a great deal of attention. I don't know if the BigHorn is big enough ... :-)

I know they're very 'bad' but they just make me smile every time I see one - especially here in the UK.

Bringing one back to the UK could be difficult, but possible. It should hold its value better here also.
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - ForumNeedsModerating
Is the name of this truck 'Ram BigHorn' a reference to an American cattle/sheep breed (and so linking it to its Good 'ole Boy forbears) or do you think is has more Freudian undertones?
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - mss1tw
What's an over-sized lumbering Yank tank got to do with the golden age of motoring? :-S ;-)
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - uk_in_usa
Is the name of this truck 'Ram BigHorn' a reference to an American cattle/sheep breed
(and so linking it to its Good 'ole Boy forbears) or do you think is
has more Freudian undertones?

When I saw the ads for this vehicle on TV when it came out a few years ago I thought to myself "Only In America!"

If the "Big Horn" doesn't do it for you Ford has a "Power Stroke" diesel

Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - Lud
Of course like most other people I secretly fancy these giant Tonka toy things, although I suspect the charm would pall after a while especially here.

There's a row of them parked at an American car dealer I pass every now and then. They really are offensively huge. In the same place however there's a somewhat smaller, retro-styled pickup truck in yellow, a Chevrolet I think. That one is so handsome, pretty almost for a pickup, I can't help hoping it's got a decent small injected modern V8 and good suspension to go with the styling. Can't think who'd buy one though.
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - Big Bad Dave
"On Fifth gear, they had a section on the Daytona 500 and had film of a *HUGE* truck that was really impressive."

I noticed that too SteVee. Absolutely gobsmacking, wouldn't I just love to take that on the school run.

I really enjoyed that Daytona feature. Those guys who built huge wooden climbing frames on top of their trucks... Fantastic stuff. I quite fancy going to one at some point.
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - Screwloose

They're best left as dreams - the reality can disappoint. A local "entrepreneur" [with excess profits to hide?] bought one new about four years ago, complete with 22" wheels and every trashy extra on the list.

Initially, I was surprised by the complexity of the thing - state-of-the-art fully multiplexed wiring made fitting the alarm a nightmare - but it didn't take long before the woeful build quality turned it into a money pit.

By the time it was three, the constant breakdowns, non-functional systems and weeks awaiting simple parts were beginning to annoy him; so when I found the main wiring loom under the fusebox had literally rotted away, he binned it and bought himself a better toy.

The component and connector quality would have shamed BL at their very worst. Using CAN-Bus wiring systems, when even the plastic mouldings of the ECU didn't fit together properly, is a recipe for a very short life indeed.
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - Lud
That's interesting, Screwloose, and a bit depressing. After all Detroit iron was renowned for reliability over very high mileages when I were a lad... and those trucks bawl tough and indestructible at you. How pathetic that they have feet of clay.

Well then, it's oriental diesel four-door-cab jobbies a la HJ, 35mpg and go on for ever...
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - Screwloose
Lud

Back then, their reliability came from being strong and simple to the point of crudity.

Unfortunately; they appear to have been seduced into complexity for it's own sake [not alone in that] and they don't appear to have learned, from the Japanese, the value of high-quality electronics and, above all, wiring connectors.

Maybe environmental conditions in their home market are significantly more benign than the UK; but given the size of the US, I really can't see that. Given the technological competence of the straw-chewing mechanics in roadside garages over there; they must be a nightmare to get fixed too.
Dodge Ram BigHorn...in my dreams - ForumNeedsModerating
For my tastes, a pick-up needs to be beat-up - recall the Toyota Hilux on TG a few years ago.

I could see myself in a 60-70's Amercian pick-up - not dolled-up or restored in any way - but still mechanically ok etc. There's a faction of the 'customising community' that takes to great lengths the scabbing-up of vehicles (VWs favoured) to resemble old wrecks, custom dents & 'bad paint' etc. - but they're of course, mechanically A1 with deluxe sounds etc.
Also from Isuzu..... - drivewell
Just to mention that Dodge don't have a monopoly on the name. There are a lot of Isuzu Trooper Bighorn's around - all Japanese imports
Also from Isuzu..... - mike hannon
There must be a lot of people out there with serious self-esteem problems...;-)
Also from Isuzu..... - DP
Every so often I see a red Dodge Ram SRT-10 in our town, and I know what you mean about making you smile. It's just so outrageous.

I'm sure it drives like a dog, but by golly, does it look good!

Edited by Webmaster on 05/12/2008 at 00:39

Also from Isuzu..... - legacylad
Much as I loved my rented Dodge Ram, I could only justify it when circumstances dictate. I am in the fortunate position of being able to spend the month of February skiing different resorts in the Lake Tahoe area. Being able to accommodate 4 friends, with all our toys in the back, and set off in a blizzard over mountain passes ( you pray for blizzards and feet of powder) in a monster truck is wonderful. As a means to an end it is an adventure in itself.
Anywhere else, and any other time, it is awful and embarassing to drive!
For everyday transport, (excluding driving several hours in storms with 5 people) my friends Outback 2.5 is simply perfect, either here or in the US.