1992 2.8TD - Engine Vibration - hm
Diahatsu Fourtrak 2.8TD 1992 - Excessive Engine Vibration at idle

As the title states, Diahatsu Fourtrak 2.8TD 1992 - Excessive Engine Vibration at idle 800/850rpm.... it goes when the revs get to approx 1100/1200rpm....

I brought the car for a good price from flea bay... the vibration is not 'Really Bad' but it is a lot worse then anything I have every had before... it is going to used as a run about for the wife to the farm and horses etc........

I have checked all the mounts etc and everything looks tip, top... there are no knocks or bangs, just that the engine is 'rolling' quite aggressively......

It starts fine, does not smoke too much (no more than other Traks I've had), drive cool and stops in a straight line.....

Does anyone have any idea's why? I was thinking the belt may had jumped a tooth throwing her out slightly?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreicated.

Regards

Hayden Murray

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/03/2008 at 10:02

1992 2.8TD - Engine Vibration - Aretas
My wife had one of these. Sold it about 5 years ago. My memory of it was that idle was very rough, but disappeared when under load.

She loved the car, which was initially bought to tow a horse box - a job it did supremely well.
1992 2.8TD - Engine Vibration - hm
this is techincally are 3rd trak.. I know they are great.. can not wait to send her down a greeb lane... but the engine vibrating..

For the sake of a couple of hours I'm going to get to the cam belt and check the timing quickley....
1992 2.8TD - Engine Vibration - screwloose advice? - hm
Well, it is not the mounts or the timing.. everything is sweet there...

tomorrow I guess I will check the valve clearances, and if I feel brave enought the injection pump timing...

Has one had experience with incorrect valve clearance? can it really make the engine run like a dog?
1992 2.8TD - Engine Vibration - screwloose advice? - Dynamic Dave
can it really make the engine run like a dog?

In short, yes.
1992 2.8TD - Engine Vibration - screwloose advice? - hm
Cheers DD.

I did a really 'quick' check (could not resist) but it is wet and cold... it appear the valve clearance (when cold) are about 0.6mm... the book states 0.25mm when warm.. so this means).

I need to put the rad back in etc tomorrow then warm the engine up, then I will check and Set the clearances... fingers cross..

laters

H