01 1600 SE Est. Starting problem - mal
Hi, I have a problem that has got worse in the last few days.
For a while the starter motor has not instantly cut in the moment I turn the key. All of the lights come on in the dash.
Tonight it has taken me 5 turns of the key before the starter kicked in, I have now decided to leave it in the garage and we will just use our other Civic until I decide what to do.
Short of taking it to the garage is there anything I could check or do?, would it be an easy job to replace the starter motor if that is what is faulty?. Is there a relay I could check.

Cheers Mal.

Edited by Pugugly on 10/03/2008 at 22:53

01 1600 SE Est. Starting problem - Falkirk Bairn
I'd have a check of the igntion switch as that was a problem with Hondas in late 1990s and it could be this.

HJ has a few words on the recalls of Accords, CRVs and Civics on this site.

My Civic Estate - Y reg I sold a few months back with 93,000 sometimes (say 1 x per fortnight) had difficulty getting key to turn - started OK after the key eventually turned.

What's the reg of your car Mal? not Y184??? by any stretch of the imagination!
I have had the car from new, bought it when Honda cleared the decks and let them all go for a more realistic 10 grand instead of over 14 grand list price.
From my earlier days of messing about with cars I recall the problem may be the solenoid or a relay but cars have changed a lot since the 70's when I used to do my own work.
I have had the car dealer serviced since new and if it is not a simple job I might just get them to sort the problem out, annoying as I have just forked out £575 to have the cat replaced for the MOT.
01 1600 SE Est. Starting problem - Falkirk Bairn
I have had the car dealer serviced since new and if it is not a
simple job I might just get them to sort the problem out annoying as I
have just forked out £575 to have the cat replaced for the MOT.

Snap - my car was £10,495 when they cleared the decks in 2001 and my CAT gave up at 84,000 - bought a 3rd party one £60 and it sailed through the MoT - as you say the genuine Honda was nigh on £600 and for a car worth £2k+ this seemed a bit steep!
I know £575 was a lot but got talking to someone who had one fitted at a "quick fit" type place and it still would not go through the emissions test after going back and forwards to the mot centre, ended up getting the Honda OEM cat and the quick fit centre fitted it to get it through the MOT.
£575 on a car worth £2000+, I do not look at it that way, as I say I have had the car from new, still in immaculate condition full stainless exhaust, detachable towbar fitted, does everything I want of a car (apart from starting) ;-). I compare that cost against spending say another £1000-£1200 to replace it.I keep my cars long term so doesn't make economical sense to me, sure a lot would disagree though!.
Looks like I will just ring the dealers up and have it fixed if n one comes up with a simple answer soon.
£1000-£1200 should of course read £10,000-£12,000 :-)