VW scirocco nostalgia - DuncanSuperb
I saw the torygraph comments on the new scirocco yesterday. Can't say I'm hugely taken by the new car. It still seems too much like a concept but I guess the proof will be in the pudding when it emerges in September and we start to see it in the flesh.

However, the story got me thinking, or rather reminising of the day in the early '90s. 19yrs old - I bought my 1986 Scirocco MK2 GT. What a great day. I traded in a dreadful 205 1.1 that had been my first experience of car ownership and what a difference - it felt like coming of age. It was only the 1.6 model but was firm handling and felt like a rocket compared to the Pug. The styling was, in my opinion, compelling, particularly with the subtle skirts/spoilers - it was black and sleek and somehow felt grown up compared to the contemporary boy racers. I also loved the relative internal compactness and the low ceiling. Oh yes and the slightly quirky 'bent' gear stick.... i could go on.

In 16 subequent years and about 12 cars later I am yet to eclipse that feeling of elation in the first drive of a new car - a close run thing with a 3 series and again with Pug 206 gti but neither was quite the same as that first real car experience.

Perhaps one day I'll get my hands on an R8!
VW scirocco nostalgia - Red Baron
The Scirocco was unique in its time, as was the Corrado. Anything new to replace it...with groovy modern styling simply won't do.

The Beetle was great in its time. The 'new' one is rubbish.
Similarly the 'new' MINI.
VW scirocco nostalgia - stackman
I don't have any experience of the original Scirroccos apart lusting after them.

However I do find the new one very disappointing. It doesn't look like a coupe, just a 3 door hatch. The interior seems to be pure Golf.

Surely a coupe should have a steeply sloping rear window ?

In all the pictures I have seen it looks very bland and forgetable. Maybe in the flesh or in moving images it will look more exciting but to me it is just another reskin of the Golf platform that makes no particular statement.
VW scirocco nostalgia - Chad.R
If you discount an aptly named '84 Nissan Cherry, my first proper car was a '88 Scirocco Scala in (IIRC Pepper) Red - it was the 1.8 carb version and I had it for about 3 years. I have some very fond memories of both the car and those times.

The new Scirocco does look good IMO but there are many other options for a good looking, "affordable" coupe these days. However, back in the mid to late '80s there wasn't such choice and the Scirocco IMO did stand out, both in terms of style and engineering*.

* I appreciate it was based on the Golf MkI platform - but hey, that's not a bad place to start is it?
VW scirocco nostalgia - DuncanSuperb
Chad I think you nearly went as misty eyed as me in your reply. Actually I think you hit the nail on the head referring to the times as well as the car. I'd probably overlooked the fact the days of the Scirocco were also the hedonistic days of responsibility-free youthdom - if you see what I mean.
VW scirocco nostalgia - Group B
However I do find the new one very disappointing. It doesn't look like a coupe
just a 3 door hatch.

My thoughts too. I think the front looks great, but the rear window needs to be a shallower angle, and putting a Golf-style rear roof spoiler on it doesnt help. Some of the car magazines' "artists impressions" looked lower and sleeker than the real thing.
VW scirocco nostalgia - PeterRed
I had a 1976 Mark 1 model in 1981 at the tender age of 18. It was the 1471cc engine - insurance group 7 (in old money) so that was a bit of a challenge. Lovely car to drive and quite exotic at the time. One memory was smelling smoke coming from the glovebox. When I looked inside, some shorted wires were glowing red - a bit like an electric fire. Fortunately I had some pliers in the boot and just cut them. Much bodging with old wire and insulating tape ensued.
VW scirocco nostalgia - LondonQuest

Hi Peter - I hope you're well. I'm from a company called London Quest who are working with VW. We are looking to find a collection of stories from people who owned Golfs in the 80's & 90's. Is there anything that springs to mind that you could share with us? Feel free to drop me an email at tim@londonquest.co.uk and I'll tell you a little bit about what we're up to.

Hey Chad

You may have seen that I also got in touch with Duncan looking for some more info on his Scirocco. Do you happen to recall the reg plate? Any other fond memories you could share would be amazing. Drop me an email to tim@londonquest.co.uk and I'll explain a little more about what I'm up to.

Thanks

Tim

Hey Duncan

I'm doing a bit of research for VW and would love to find out the reg of your '86 Scirocco if you remember it? Feel free to drop me an email at tim@londonquest and I'll fill you in with more details!

Thanks

Tim

VW scirocco nostalgia - Avant

It's some years since any of these people posted on here, so I'm afraid you're unlikely to get a response.