2003 1.8 - RPM setting for Automatic - moggie
Hi

I have just bought a 2003 1.8 Auto Rover 45 and have driven Autos for 20 years so understand them. However, on my previous non-Rover autos I did not have the problem of severe creep forward especially when first starting and on auto choke presumeably. After it warms up it improves, but I notice that the engine is idling at about 1000 rpm whereas my other cars idled at about 850 rpm. Is this too high and is it a problem with this engine does anyone know?

It is certainly the worst auto box I have had. I realise there is a happy medium on setting the rpm on Autos - too low and it will cut out and too high and it will creep too much.

Any suggestion please? (I've got one: how about putting the year & engine details in the subject header as per the 3 separate requests that ask you to?)

Edited by Webmaster on 07/03/2008 at 12:33

2003 1.8 - RPM setting for Automatic - Screwloose

The idle speed, 825 rpm, is programmed into the ECU; only if someone has fiddled with the factory throttle settings will it alter.

Check for any air leak into the manifold and a distorted throttle body. Anything past that will need diagnostic equipment.
2003 1.8 - RPM setting for Automatic - moggie
Thanks for that ScrewLoose. I will take it back to the dealer I bought it from (they are very helpful) and ask them to check this.

Moggie
2003 1.8 - RPM setting for Automatic - keep the heap going
as mentioned, the ECU tries to maintain a set idle speed in a variety of conditions, such as warm up, load from aircon and when drive is engaged. It does it through data from a variety of areas, such as temp sensors, coil output, etc and it adjusts the idle through the throttle bypass solenoid. This can get dirty and stick, but it is cleaned easily with carb cleaner. Assuming the car is reaching correct operating temp (temp sensors OK), then if the settings at the throttle body have not be adjusted by someone as mentioned (if that is possible, as some systems have little provision for it), then sometimes ECU faults cause this. If you switch the engine off and the re-start and it idles at the correct speed, it could be an ECU fault. good luck with it, anyway.

As to it being a poor transmission, in my experience, many auto trannys suffer from poor maintenance and Renaults/BMW's etc have no provision for fluid renewal! They just assume it will fail at 80-140K and you will spend 3K on a new one.