03 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - DishonestJack
Have read on the car-by-car report that there has been an issue with the air con on cars of my type/year. We have had a problem with the air con.
Has anybody had any experience of going back to Honda to take advantage of this 'extended warranty' that's been mentioned?

Edited by Pugugly on 28/04/2009 at 00:10

2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - paulb {P}
I had a 53-reg 1.6 Inspire S (pre-facelift) with air-con - it packed up twice while I had it (both times while under manufacturer's warranty).

First time, they refused a warranty claim because they said it needed regassing and this was apparently a service item. They also suggested I wasn't using it enough - not true, and I have never had this problem with any other car thus equipped, all of which were from manufacturers with a supposedly inferior reliability record. That cost me £90 if memory serves. Wasn't best pleased as the car was only 1y 2m old at the time.

Second time, a stone bashed a hole in the condenser (having found its way in through the absurdly large gaps in the lower grille) and again, no warranty claim as it classed as accidental damage. I wrote to Honda UK pointing out that I had just been landed with a £450 bill as a result of the car's design providing wholly inadequate protection of fragile components and could they please entertain a goodwill payment - received polite brush-off.

Unless they are now doing some sort of recall on this, based on my experience your chances may not be all that great.
2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - Saltrampen
Mine was probably a stone bash as well on an 02 1.6 SE.
Honda wanted around £500+ in 2006, Independent could do it for £350.
Did not know about ext warranty and Honda didn't mention it either although they serviced the car.
However have read somewhere that corrosion + flying debris from road combine to make this more likely on older cars. If it was just stone damage, it would happen on any age of car - it would then be mileage dependent.
The lack of corrosion resistance could be argued as a warranty point.
Suggest ring Honda customer service to confirm if an extended warranty issue, then go to dealer?
2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - Graemetdci
My wife has a 2002 Civic 5dr 1.6 SE and its aircon suddenly stopped working last November, well out of warranty. Thankfully I was aware of this extended warranty on the aircon system and contacted a Honda dealer. Without any fuss at all, they quickly sorted the problem by replacing the condensor and regassing the system free of charge, as a warranty claim. Works perfectly now. So, definately give it a try, just make sure to 'remind' them that you know about the warranty extension. They may obviously want to make sure it is the condensor that's at fault before any action is taken.
2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - DishonestJack
Cheers, that's good advice. I think I'll give it a go and see if they'll fix mine. Mine was similar scenario to one of the other replies, i.e. it stopped working towards the end of the warranty period. I was told the same thing, i.e. it needs regassing which isn't covered by the warranty, try using it more. Had it regassed for £80, car was then out of warranty and it stopped working again. It was also accompanied by a strange wooshing sound coming from behind the centre console area. Should have taken it back to Honda there and then but I went to an independent who couldn't find a leak and regassed it. Has since gone again, now I think it's this manufacturing fault and Honda should fix it for free. I'll go into my local dealer.
Update:
Just had call from local Honda dealer today (Saunders Honda, Chester). It WILL be fixed under the extended warranty. Hooray!
2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - halla
I am considering buying a 2002 Honda civic executive.Could someone please tell me about this extended warranty? What it's for and how long etc etc. Prob OOD now ?
2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - Bill Payer
It WILL be fixed under the extended warranty. Hooray!

Kudos to Honda. That's good going on an 03 car.

Edited by Bill Payer on 28/04/2009 at 00:50

2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - halla
What are the details of warranty & dates pleeeeeeeaase!
Extended warranty is an additional three years after the standard three year warranty has expired. Therefore the oldest car for which you could claim under this scheme would be May 28th 2003 (if you claimed today, of course!)

Edited by DishonestJack on 28/05/2009 at 16:15

2003 Honda Civic 5dr 1.6 SE - Aircon Issues - jbif
Kudos to Honda. That's good going on an 03 car. >>

The "Hooray!" comment was in 2008, so within 5 years for an 03 car.

Standard 5 year warranties are not unheard of, and so IMO it is to be expected for an "extended" one.