Mini Brakes bleeding procedure - Ben Kaye
I own a 1989 F reg Mini mayfair with servo assisted brakes, i just wondered what the procedure is for bleeding the brakes, the front are disc and the rear are drums. Is my car on a split system and if so which will it be, diagonal or front and rear. Also, just how do i go about bleeding them, please tell, i am new to all this and although the old haynes manula is helpful it doesnt tell me everything i need to know. Will i need sumone else need to help, to pump the pedal, and howdo these kits i have read about work, are they nescacerry?
the reason why i am intending to bleed them is because i accidently undid the wrong nut! d'oh! and undid the bolt which split the caliper in half, causing a small amount of brake fluid to see out, i immediately realised what i was doin and tightened it back up, will it reseal ok?

benno
Re: Mini Brakes bleeding procedure - Andrew Hamilton
Go on a car maintenance evening course before you damage your car. There is no substitute for learning how things work before you try pulling them apart. Haynes manuals are great but they are an aid NOT a teaching course!
Re: Mini Brakes bleeding procedure - John Kenyon
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
>
> Go on a car maintenance evening course before you damage your
> car. There is no substitute for learning how things work
> before you try pulling them apart. Haynes manuals are great
> but they are an aid NOT a teaching course!

And get yourself a copy of "Fundementals of Motor Vehicle Technology"
by V.A.W. Hillier (4th Ed published by Stanley Thornes ISBN 0-7487-0531-7).

A copy of this with a Haynes manual might not persuade you to take on
every smallest job, but it will sure help to stop you from getting ripped off.

/John
Re: Mini Brakes bleeding procedure - Dave
C'mon!

How far wrong can he go???

This is not a difficult task and Haynes manuals are very clear on how do do this kind of thing.

From my (large) experiance of main dealers I'd rather a contientious amateur with a Haynes manual worked on his own car than entrusted it to the local Bristol Street YTS lad at 4:35 wants to clock off five mins early 'cos he's meeting his bird.

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
>
> Go on a car maintenance evening course before you damage your
> car. There is no substitute for learning how things work
> before you try pulling them apart. Haynes manuals are great
> but they are an aid NOT a teaching course!
Re: Mini Brakes bleeding procedure - Don Cox
Ben
Seeing as the advice you have had seems to be related to "you shouldn't have done it in the first place", go to college, or read Mr. Hillier's excellent book (which incidently has only about six short lines on bleeding brakes) I thought you might appreciate some practical advice. I'm not familiar with your actual car, but I have split and reassembled calipers (1964 MGB) and bled mini brakes (1967 998 Cooper), (Clubman, can't remember how old) with success. I ain't that hard. Follow the manual, but first get sufficient fluid to replace all that is in the system, I'd use DOT 4, get a bleed tube with a one way valve on the end and ring and open ended spanners to undo the nipples. use the ring spanners, or a socket, to undo the nipples for the first time and the open ended to actually bleed them. You can do it on your own, but it's better with assistance. I would bleed the caliper you have disurbed first, then follow the procedure in the book. I use a meat baster (rubber bulb on a tube) to remove all of the old fluid from the resevoir before refilling with fresh and starting bleeding. If you do it right you shouldn't be able to "pump up" the pedal, keep an eye on the fluid level over the next couple of weeks, any loss you've got a problem.
Best of luck

Don Cox
Re: Mini Brakes bleeding procedure - David Lacey
Fixing your brakes if you don't know what you are doing is downright dangerous. Please pay somebody who knows what they are doing to repair them properly - you are potentially dicing with other peoples lives.....
Brake systems not the place to learn. - D J Woollard
Ben,

Andrew and David are right, it had to be said. Your old Mini is the right sort of car to start on if you want to learn but go to tech or somewhere that will guide you through this process.

Get a professional to check out your mistake with brakes and leave it at that for now.

Regards,

David
Re: Brake systems not the place to learn. - John Slaughter
David

I couldn't agree more! Ben, I can't imagine what you were trying to do, but get it checked right now - it's not recommended to split calipers at the best of times!

regards

John
Re: Mini Brakes bleeding procedure - Ben Kaye
i made a mistake but i ain't stupid, i know quite a bit about cars and have worked on tractors and other mechanical things for a long time. Thanks for all your help guys even if only one of you had any practical advice, my car is now bled, i bought a one man bleeding kit and the car is working fine. The only thing i really wanted oto know was which way the system was split, but i have managed to find that out anyway. thanks again
ben