(98-04) 1.9 Tdi re-mapping - richiek
I know someone who has had their 1.9 GT Tdi PD 115 remapped to 150. Can anyone tell me if this is safe for the car as I was under the impression the 150's had a much larger camshaft to cope with the extra torque?

(no mention of year, so used info from the drop down menu choice made)

Edited by Webmaster on 03/03/2008 at 13:05

golf MK4 1.9 Tdi re-mapping - craig-pd130
Over on the VW, Seat & Skoda forums there are lots of owners that have had their PD-engined cars remapped, some with 40K+ miles since the remap with no engine problems.

Some report clutch slip and add beefed-up clutch plates, others don't. Depends on the specific remap and how you drive the car. Giving it a bootfull at 2K rpm will put a lot of strain on a standard clutch.

Generally speaking, owners that have a remap are likely to be more fastidious about maintenance etc, and in 5 years of being on various VAG forums I don't recall seeing a case of "I had my car remapped and 6 months later it died".

Most, if not all, serious PD engine problems are caused by ignorant use of non-PD oil, or not replacing the cambelt within the specced intervals (which should also include the water pump).

golf MK4 1.9 Tdi re-mapping - DP
If I recall correctly, there are two types of remap for modern diesels. A generic one which is set up for the average example of an engine, and a live one which has to be professionally installed, and can be tailored to the characteristics of the exact engine in your car. The latter is more expensive, but always strikes me as the safer option, as the everything is monitored by the tech as the remap is set up, and therefore any overfuelling or other signs that things aren't quite right can be ironed out with adjustments.

I too haven't heard of failures (apart from clutches) on remapped VAG TDIs which is astonishing considering you can be looking at up to 100NM torque increases on some of the more aggressive remaps. That's a lot to ask of standard transmission components, and I still find it hard to believe that a mass market car manufacturer would knowingly engineer such spare torque capacity into their transmissions. It just doesn't make financial sense. I also can't help thinking if the 130 engine and transmission on standard internals could deliver 170-175 bhp reliably over many thousands of miles, why did VAG never offer a Golf thus equipped? They could have sold thousands of them, and at a very substantial price premium over the standard 130 version. I find it hard to believe this wasn't at least investigated internally, but it never made it to the showroom.

When all is said and done, failures are almost unheard of, so maybe I'm doing them an injustice.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 03/03/2008 at 12:36

golf MK4 1.9 Tdi re-mapping - Stace
150BHP is very ptimistic, 130 is about what you could expect and anyway VW did some very serious engine mods to keep the engine together at 150brake.
I had a tuning box fitted(Aan Aaken) at 35K and at 65K there are no problems. It gives greatly improved torque and driveability across the range without real fuel consumption problems. I do drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy to protect the drive train and never indulge in traffic light GPs.
I do change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles.
Van Aaken have been very helpfull with any queries
Chris S
(98-04) 1.9 Tdi re-mapping - hgvfitter
Got a tuning box on my 130 pd golf had it for over a year aprox 20,000 miles only problem is a bit of clutch slip when driven hard, I do know of earlier engines that have been tuned and the five speed box tends to give up the ghost with out much warning