Slow seller? - Martin Wall
Found on the internet:

"Volvo C30 Changes
February 2008

Volvo has just announced that prices have dropped for the C30 and the model range has been simplified.

Production has ceased for C30 2.4i engine variants and Volvo has also done away with the C30 S specification models, which had been the entry into the range.

Volvo C30 buyers will now be able to enter straight into the range with either the R-DESIGN Sport trim or more classic SE specification, both of which have been reduced in price and both have engine variants that are the same at every price point.

At one end of the spectrum is the 1.6 R-Design Sport at £14,995, which has gone down from £16,600. The 1.6 SE, also at £14,995, has been reduced from £16,250. At the other end is the £21,495 T5 SE Lux for the traditionalists, which has been reduced by £1275, or the T5 R-Design SE Sport, previously £23,495 and now £21,245.

Since the R-Design SE Sport variants have gone down in price by up to £2,275, leather faced upholstery is no longer a no-cost option on these models. It will be available for £500. No other changes to options have been reported.

Both the SE and R-Design Sport will come in Flexifuel versions that run on E85 bio-ethanol or regular petrol. The 1.8F SE and the 1.8F R-Design Sport will both have an On the Road price of £16,205."

I'm guessing that the price cuts/spec. changes indicate that the C30 hasn't been selling too well...
Slow seller? - shawad
Are you surprised? Given the car is based on the Ford CD-1 chassis which is shared with the Focus, Mazda 3, Mazda 5, Volvo S40 and Freelander this is by far the ugliest out of all of its siblings.

Renault managed to make an ugly rear end into a marketing winner, Volvo just made an ugly rear end uglier.
Slow seller? - Waino
Knowing the cost of Volvo servicing, I guess most folks would rather go for a Focus?
Slow seller? - runboy
You mean it has been on sale? People could have bought one and I could have seen one being driven by a member of the public?

Ignoring my sarcasm, I have seen one around the local area. I like the concept/branding behind the C30 but the prices have always been eye-watering.
Slow seller? - Ed V
In the eye of the beholder!

HJ thinks it's the bee knees looks-wise and, if I remeber correctly, that it would out-sell hot cakes.
Slow seller? - colinh
"Those nice people at Volvo are only planning on selling 5,000 C30s in 2007.They?d better make some more....Audi must be worried...The C30 isn?t just a good looking car, it?s exquisite. A lot of people will buy it for the styling alone....Volvo had better put the factory on overtime."
Slow seller? - SpamCan61 {P}
I seem to recall we discussed the lack of C30s on the roads here a few months back, I think I've seen another two since that discussion. So; I'm averaging about 1 sighting per 5,000 miles of driving. That suggests to me they aren't selling many ...
Slow seller? - v0n
I'm averaging
about 1 sighting per 5 000 miles of driving. That suggests to me they aren't
selling many ...

I thought the same about Kia - as I almost never see one in my area - until I mentioned it here and someone pointed me to annual sale statistics and it turned out both Kia and Hyundai outsell Skoda in UK, which, considering I literally can't walk 200 yards without passing at least one Octavia minicab and there are some models of Hyundai I actually never ever seen in flesh anywhere, was complete news to me. Apparently there is a spot on the map in the northern wilderness somewhere where there are only Kia and, presumably, Lada dealerships and everyone buys Rio and Picanto.

What I'm getting at is that C30, being the least practical, yet relatively pricey model in volvo range, might have a specific market - like Volvo 480 before it - you know, that single spot on outskirts of Chiswick where every lawyer bought one instead of Mini for his wife, to take shitzu to hairdresser in Richmond. And so it's quite possible the only place you would ever see C30 in a "herd" is that 800 yard long queue through backstreets of Kew at 1pm in weekdays...

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/02/2008 at 18:55

Slow seller? - hugopogo
Apparently there is a spot on the map in the northern wilderness somewhere where
there are only Kia and, presumably, Lada dealerships and everyone buys Rio and
Picanto.

Yep, that'd be the north west. The roads are full of them round here. I've seen about 10 i30's this week.. Not including the fact that I sometimes drive past a Hyundai showroom. They sold Accents like the Muffin Man sells pies in Wigan too. Kia Rios, Picantos, that big 4x4 they do... Loads of them knocking about.

I liked the C30 a lot... I thought the back end looked awesome. But you wouldn't see one on my drive ever. She hates them.
Slow seller? - Bill Payer
Now and again a car comes along that just seems completely pointless and I think the Volvo C30 is such a car.

I think the BMW 1 Series is bordering on being as pointless, but there are people who would buy a pile of poo if it had a BMW badge on it, whereas Volvo doesn't have quite the same following.
Slow seller? - jmaccyd
I went to look at one and thought, just like someone posted earlier, that it was just er...pointless. Not sporty enougth to be a real coupe, not pratical enougth to be a decent hatchback (Four seats only, rear glass opens rather than whole hatch, three door only, stupid flimsy boot cover) Walked out of the Volvo dealership shaking my head at the stupidity of it really.

Edited by jmaccyd on 29/02/2008 at 22:19

Slow seller? - Tornadorot
Not sporty enougth to be a real coupe not pratical enougth to
be a decent hatchback (Four seats only rear glass opens rather than whole hatch three
door only stupid flimsy boot cover)

Much like a Scimitar GTE then? :-)
Slow seller? - Dave N
Even here in the land of Volvo, no-one is buying them. But then Volvo sales overall here have dropped something like 25%. The Swedes have cottoned on to the fact that the tradition Volvo values of old have gone, and been replaced with dressed up Fords.
Slow seller? - Brian Tryzers
Well, I don't mind. I rather fancy one in a couple of years' time when it's time to move the old S60 on and I still need a comfortable solo-journey car. 1.6D engine will be plenty; I'll have mine in Brilliant Blue, please.

I do see a couple quite often on the M40 near Banbury. The huge tail lamps make it quite a sight from behind in the dark.
Slow seller? - mike hannon
Sad, isn't it? Swedish cars were once aspirational purchases for all the right reasons, and had real character of one sort or another.
Now they have dressed up Fords and dressed up Vauxhalls. I hope I don't live long enough to see the day when all the world suffers the same fate.
I think that's a little harsh, Mike - the character's still there. A little diluted, perhaps, from the days of the original Saab 900, but a Volvo or Saab cabin is still a calming and pleasant place to be by most standards. Pity they don't qualify for privileged parking away from the riffraff at IKEA, though.
};---(
Slow seller? - Pugugly
Arrrrrgh adding Ikea to the swearfilter.
Slow seller? - mike hannon
I seem to live my life being 'Mr Harsh' these days - that's the trouble with having been around a bit.
I guess 'by most standards' is exactly the problem, isn't it?
Slow seller? - Bilboman
If Volvo are having trouble shifting the C30, they could do a lot worse than lend a few to the police. Hampshire Police have been using Volvos for over 40 years now, and BMWs too; in fact it was the first police force in the world to adopt the X3.
Slow seller? - chewy
Well I test drove one some time ago, and the problem here is not the top of the range but the middle.

Unsurprisingly the T5 petrol engine, sport version top of the range car was lovely. Very sporty to look at, and sporty to drive.

It was also A LOT of money - at least as much as a Golf if not more, and yet nowhere near as practical as a Golf. The boot was utterly ridiculous to the point that I actually think my MINI has at least as much space :)

So I then drove the middle of the range 2L petrol SE - and it was just DIRE. I mean really poor. Without all the sport styling it was just a cut down S40 - BORING, and the engine was a shambles.

needless to say I didn't purchase one :)
Slow seller? - Pugugly
So toss up between an elegantly designed, well regarded Golf GTi or the unknown quantity of the eccentrically designed Volvo, not dissing the Volvo, guess where our money went.
Slow seller? - drivewell
Now and again a car comes along that just seems completely pointless and I think
the Volvo C30 is such a car.

Speaking of pointless, saw my first BMW X6 yesterday - There will still be folk who'll buy one, though.
Slow seller? - Avant
And you can have a Golf GTI with 5 doors if you want them. If a car is going to be available only as a 2- or 3-door, then it needs to look good, and not like the cheapo version given to junior reps.
Slow seller? - sony
Amazing how many more I have seen on the road since this thread began. I do see one or two a day, which is the number of them I saw on the road every month back in January. They really seem to have been selling since the 08 plate change.
I must admit I am really starting to like them, as I'm sick and tired of seeing the same old golfs, A3s, & 1 series on the road.
Might chop in the A3 for one come september time.
Slow seller? - krs one
I wasn't impressed with the styling when they first came out bet the more I see them the more I like them.
It's good that they only come with 3 doors as I personally don't think that GTI's should be available with 5 doors.
Slow seller? - pd
Volvo got the pricing wrong on the C30, particularly compared to the S40/V50 which people saw as offering better value. They seem to have realised their mistake and corrected it.

They are not the only ones. There are loads of unsold A3's and 1-Series lying around. All of a sudden money is tight and punters are questioning whether an A3 is really worth £2.5k more than a Focus (more after discount) and deciding that no, they don't really need a "premium" hatch after all.
Slow seller? - Falkirk Bairn
A few months back Volvo simplified/cut-down the range, added body kit and reduced the price - however getting these wrong on day one might have cast the car in the mould of a slow seller.

Jaguar did that with teh X-type- overpriced and lacking a diesel crippled it from day one - changes late on have not really made it the seller / BMW 3 series they had hoped for

Only time will tell if they have retrieved the situation
Not sure about this but my impression is that Volvo has fixed the boot problem. When I first looked at one in a showroom, I thought it was a gorgeous design marred by an over-ambitious price and a silly boot that offered no out-of-sight stowage for the laptops and other nickables that likely customers would expect to put there.

I walked past one parked on the street the other day, took a good look (I was dressed in my Mr Respectable work clothes) and couldn't see into the boot, which reassured me greatly. Then I saw a full-page advert in one of Saturday's papers, showing a white one and a much-reduced price, and my desire for the thing was fully revived. I still prefer Brilliant Blue to white, but when it's finally time to pension off the S60 as my drive-to-work car, the C30 and S40 will both be on my list.

Topic for another thread: anyone else think the the S40's new rear bumper spoils the proportions of the car something rotten?
Slow seller? - Bilboman
Opening glass hatch - nice tribute to the Hillman Imp, I thought! I hope it doesn't suffer the same overheating problems, though....
Slow seller? - Avant
" I personally don't think that GTI's should be available with 5 doors."

Why on earth not? Some people prefer the look of the 3-door, others like me would always go for a 5-door for the practicality, and also because to my eyes it doesn't look any less attractive.

In Volvo's case, there may not be a lot of point, as there is the V50. They had the opportunity to make a really attractive coupe, and unfortunately the C30 doesn't seem to have universal appeal like, say, the Audi A5. Even the Kia Ceed 3-door looks better to me than a C30.
Slow seller? - mattbod
Small Volvos are very expensive for re bodied Fords. The same applies with Saab. I used to love that marque but the 93 is over priced for a Vectra in a new suit and this years anlysis in Automobile Yearbook states that Saab are losing market share in Europe, any wonder?

Edited by Mattbod on 09/06/2008 at 01:42

Slow seller? - BazzaBear {P}
universal appeal like say the Audi A5.

Not universal - I think the A5 is a terribly dull looking car. If any type of car needs to look stylish and entertaining, it's a coupe. The A5 looks neither. It looks like a repmobile with 2 doors removed.
Slow seller? - Pugugly
I followed a very pretty one into town the other day - it mus have been a base version, i had a single exhaust, there was rather an ugly blanked off piece over the other side, where I assume higher end models have a second exhaust - shame.
> Small Volvos are very expensive for re bodied Fords.

That 'rebodied Focus / Mondeo / Vectra / Golf' jibe is just lazy - and, let's be honest, rather boring now that it must be approaching its tenth birthday. The truth is that, much as motoring journos might drool over the oily workings, and know every detail of who shares what with whom, yer average car buyer is more concerned with a comfortable seat, a quiet engine and a nice interior to sit it while trundling to and from work or the in-laws.

I had Saabs for seven years without ever thinking, 'Gosh, this is just like the Vauxhall it's based on; why didn't I have one of those and save some money?' My current biggish Volvo has no Ford parts (does it?) but I've driven the small ones and, while there are similarities in driving feel to the Focus, the Volvo interior, seats and design philosophy make the S40 - for me - a nicer place to be.
Conversely, we've just offloaded our Fabia - an excellent little car in many ways, probably better value and certainly - to me - better looking than the VW Polo it was 'rebodied' from. But was it a nicer place to travel, when everything you touched or looked at was rough-textured, hard grey plastic? Debatable, at best.
Slow seller? - gmac
I had Saabs for seven years without ever thinking 'Gosh this is just like the
Vauxhall it's based on; why didn't I have one of those and save some money?'

I had the 900 V6 and it felt much better than the Cavalier counterpart.
My current biggish Volvo has no Ford parts (does it?)

Dunno, what year is it ? If it's a facelift 05 model, look at the headlight wiring loom, it's Ford.
but I've driven the small
ones and while there are similarities in driving feel to the Focus the Volvo interior
seats and design philosophy make the S40 - for me - a nicer place to
be.

The smaller cars share a platform but the panels are thicker on the Volvo's and the SIPS system has not been used in the Focus derivatives.
Slow seller? - Ed V
The problem with 3 door cars is the width required to open either of the two. Fully opened doors need space on both sides af around 5 feet, which means you need a 16 feet wide space if there's there's two of you in it. A 4 / 5 door care would need at least 4 feet less in my view.
Slow seller? - Shaz {p}
I agree with GMAC on this.

I also think the C30 is a nice car, a modern 480, that reportedly drives well (so I don't quite get the 'it's a Ford with a different body' comments). I mean a Volvo which handles like a Ford (well) is how I see it, and how can that be a bad thing? The interior is also nice.

It was a similar storey to the Xtype Jag. Drove better then an equivalant Audi, and not far off the 3 series at the time, but still got a slating. (not talking about the looks as Beauty is in the eye..etc).