I'm impressed. - cattleman6

Today I went along to a showroom near Dublin and I sat in the driving seat of the new Ford Mondeo for the first time. Wow,that car truly is quality!! The driving seat is so comfortable and all the knobs seem to be in the right place. The car seems extremely well put together and the dashboard materials etc seemed to be of a high standard. I also sat in the middle seat in the rear. It seemed comfortable. They always nowadays put a folded up armrest for the back of the middle rear seat; but the one in the Mondeo is comfortable. The back seat as a whole is extremely comfortable though. Nice flat floor in the middle of the rear. I quite often carry five people in my car for reasonably long trips. My wife was with me and we were both extremely impressed with the car. We both like the metal rather than the wood for trimmings. I would rather have the softer Ghia suspension though. I would probably be forced to have the wood though. It would be alright if it is dark enough.Such a fantastic car at a reasonable price even in Dublin. I can't wait to test drive the Mondeo. I would definitely go for the 2.0 litre diesel 140 bhp. It would have to be manual, as I read the automatic has to be 130 bhp and it is much higher in CO2s and is slower and uses more fuel.I read all that!! ( If it was Mercedes I would definitely go for automatic).
In Dublin the Ghia Mondeo saloon manual 2.0 TDCi 140 bhp is 37,725 euros. The 2.5i TitaniumX 220 bhp manual is 43,025 euros.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/02/2008 at 00:52

Ford Mondeo. - rtj70
Thought you should look at the Mondeo as comparison as they are good cars... but as big as an E Class! In saloon form they are even longer! I might have mentioned in a previous thread but maybe I just thought it.

Curious why you took a look. to quote:

"No matter how good the new Mondeo is I wouldn't get it as I really don't like the look from certain angles. I don't want to be confrontational in any way, as personal preferences with car looks are as different as chalk and cheeze with people."

I have sat in one and have a few colleagues who like them... I had to order a car before I could get one at a reasonable price on the company scheme so went Mazda6.

But don't think you have to go the Ghia (and wood) route. There is a Titanium model which should cost the same. I don't think the Titanium has sports suspension. I looked long and hard at these (and knew more than my local dealers and chatted to Ford Mondeo launch manager too) so if you want to exchange emails then ask a mod :-)
Ford Mondeo. - cattleman6
rtj70.

Thanks very much for your very helpful message. Indeed I always love the E Class ( nicest car on the road). That will have to wait some years unfortunately!!
It is true, I wasn't mad on the looks of the new Mondeo; but it has grown on me. I decided with my wife to go along and have a look and to put it mildly, we were rather impressed!! I found the driving position to be extremely comfortable. From the driving seat it doesn't feel such an enormous car. I'm not a nervous driver, so I should get used to the size. I was so pleased to hear about the suspension.The Titanium interior looks more refreshing than the mixture with wood. I know a lot of people love the wood though; but it must be dark enough. Thanks very much for offering to answer emails on the subject. I very much appreciate the offer and I may well ask an odd question if that is still alright? I have a friend who has always begged me to look at the Mondeo. I see what he means! I would love a test drive; but it has to wait, as some salesmen never leave you alone once you do a test drive. After today, both my wife and I are very keen on this car. I hope they will keep up the excellent amount of extras once the car sells in very big numbers. It was voted " The car of the year in Ireland", so that will boost sails over here.
Ford Mondeo. - Pugugly
I had one on hire this week for a worlk related trip to the North. This was a petrol engined one (which I was very surprised at). No real complaints about it really. Was OK in all scenarios I used it in. The thing that would stop me wanting it was its size. Too big too bulky for me, parked next to a Vectra C in the Hotel car-park the Vectra looked like it was from a class lower - no mean feat. My heart wouldn't make me want it.
Ford Mondeo. - craig-pd130
They've just announced the new auto TDCi will be 140bhp, up from 130, not sure when it will hit the showroom however.

I've had my estate 2.0 diesel manual for 10 days now, and I'm settling in very nicely. The comfort, ride, body control and noise suppression really are good (on standard 215 / 55 / 16 Michelin Primacy tyres).

The engine is showing promise too, but I've not taken it for a proper canter as yet.

The car is deceptively swift though, the cabin is so quiet compared to my old Passat PD130 that I find I'm going faster than I *think* I am.
Ford Mondeo. - Falkirk Bairn
The first "ex-daily rental" cars have appeared at my local branch.

Presumably all Ford showrooms will have them on the 2nd hand rank over the coming weeks and months.

Drove past but could not see the prices on the screen but presumably have a mark-up on the 2007 models.
Ford Mondeo. - ablandy
i have one on order and i cant wait.

I wanted the non-metallic red because i think it looks really good in that, but the lease company forced me to have metallic as a no-cost option.

The only teeny niggles i had from the test drive was the metal ring around the air vents reflected in the side window on the mirror (if that makes sense) and the indicator switch plastic felt a bit cheap (initial impression, compared against my accord).

As i said to my wife, if thats all i have to complain about, then its a good car!

I did want more toys on it, but held back - the ivdc fancy-pants suspension looks like fun. Instead i just opted for the sports suspension and park assist.

Ford Mondeo. - craig-pd130
I haven't noticed that on mine, but there we go :)

The interior is nice (mine's a Zetec) on the bits you see and touch, but it's built to a price in other areas. My old Passat B5.5 had a better interior finish overall.
Ford Mondeo. - valmiki
I haven't sat in one yet, but is it only me that finds the outside of the car looks cheap?

It just looks...for want of a better word, 'plasticky', like something out of the Transformers movie (but in a bad way), Maybe something to do with all those angles, or maybe the paint?

I'm sure it does impress inside, just can't get my head round the exterior though!

I just wanted to say a very big thankyou to all the people who took the trouble to replay to my thread about the new ford Mondeo. I really appreciate it!
Yes I was surprised how good the car feels when you sit in the driver's seat. Outside of course the car is big in size; but from the driver's seat it actually felt well made and neatly laid out. It is a very good thing, if they are bringing in an automatic with the 2.0 litre diesel 140 bhp. It will give it more poke when needed. I am just going on reports, as I haven't had the good fortune to test drive it.I can't wait!! I always keep my cars a long time. I look after them as well as possible and they give me good value over many years.
I just wanted to mention, that I found the quality to be outstanding with this car.I can't wait to drive it. It must be a 2.0 diesel 140 bhp. I like the light silvery blue colour.
I'm impressed. - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Maybe I saw a bad one....

As an ex-Mondeo owner I was really looking forward to seeing the new one. The mags raved about the quality, so all very promising. But when I sat in one (a Titanium X) at the local dealer I thought the interior felt very cheap, some of the plastics were a bit naff and anything that moved (glovebox, storage covers etc) was really poor. It was genuinely surprising how cheap these bits felt after my Toyota (or a Honda, VW etc), and this was for a £23k car!

As I say, maybe it was a bad example, because everything else I see or hear seems to say the interior is top notch.
I'm impressed. - Stuartli
My best mate has had one or more of all the Mondeos since the MkII model and about a fortnight ago took delivery of a new two-litre diesel Ghia.

There's no doubt it's a classy car, well built and equipped and with remarkable rear leg room.

However, his other half and I both have similar complaints. The main one is the very low top window line of the front doors (we both took time to stop banging our heads getting into the car), the reduced view out and the extremely narrow windscreen, which offers a view similar to looking through a narrow letter box.

I went with him on the original test drive two months ago (delivery was estimated to take THREE months) in a Titanium X diesel model as mentioned by bristolmotorspeedway {P}.

I have to confess the same views about the quality of the interior plastics (hard and very cheep looking) and the overall impression given by this model, although it proved most enjoyable to drivel.

The Ghia is superior but, frankly, I would be very disappointed if I owned an upper medium car that made me feel I was suffering from claustrophobia compared to my VW Bora.

I'm impressed. - craig-pd130
I must say that the bits you see & touch are done in nice materials, but the bits you don't see everyday are quite cheap.

The interior is definitely built to a price, my old 2003 Passat had higher quality throughout. To balance that, the new Passat's interior isn't as nice as the old one either.
Lots of cars seem to have cheaper interiors now. My late father's 1995 Polo had excellent quality interior including excellent durable seat materials and very strong plastics.You don't find that in normal cars nowadays ( of course real luxury cars are different).
I wonder if the very supportive seats in the new mondeo are connected to Ford owning Volvo.
Seat comfort is always a very personal thing. I remember reading that Volvo seats are particularly supportive. Good supportive seats and a nice absorbent ride ( not hard and sporty) is very important in my case. I do quite a bit of long distance driving.

I still honestly think that the new Ford Mondeo is an excellent car at a very good price, particularly the diesel ones with manual gearbox and the 2.0 litre 140bhp engine.
I'm impressed. - rtj70
Although I deliberately never drove it (or I thought I'd talk myself into a Titanium X TDCi!) when I sat in a few I thought they are very good cars. Just a little big for around here ;-)

Don't be disappointed that it's a 140PS diesel engine though so only 138bhp :-)
I'm impressed. - Martin Devon
Have it chipped. It works wonders. MD
I'm impressed. - Clk Sec
Looks nice, but will it be a good buy for those of us who keep our cars for 6 or 7 years?

Hopefully the premature rust problems in earlier models, often mentioned on this forum, will have been resolved.

I wouldn?t mind one, so fingers crossed !

Clk Sec
I'm impressed. - Mad Maxy
Coincidentally I've been looking at a replacement for my (just over year old!) 320d M Sport Touring, and having heard so much about the new Mondeo being of BMW quality, I endeavoured to have a test drive Friday. However, this being a Ford dealer the sales bloke didn't phone me back re what was available and when I turned up when I said I would he was in a meeting. (Tells me something.) They had no Mondeos I could look at - all been sold in readiness for 1/03/08 apparently - but I'd thought before when I sat in one (on two occasions) that it was all tastefully fitted out and quality looked pretty good.

While I was there I checked out a revised Focus and and an S-Max and was pretty impressed, though the interior design isn't as classy (IMO) as on a BM. I looked specifically at quality of plastics, and when I went over the road to the Merc dealer to check out the new C, I wasn't sure that there was a lot of difference. I think I was most impressed by the way the tailgates shut on the Fords - v solid and classy.

Maybe the biggest disincentive for the Mondeo is that it's so big (apparently), though it looks compact on the road. Could I bring meyself to buy a Ford? All that depreciation (from new anyway)? I'm not sure Mrs MM would let me. It'll have to be a C class then.
Getting a test drive in a new Mondeo has been a problem virtually since they came out.

My best mate had to try three different dealers before one eventually consented to the possibility (the two others virtually laughed at his request); it took about four days to arrange.

Never thought this sort of experience would ever have related to a blue oval badge dealer...:-)

It's a good car; in fact the Mondeo has always been an excellent driver's car, but as I've mentioned elsewhere it's somewhat claustrophobic interior with the shallow window lines.
I'm impressed. - jmaccyd
Shallow windows seems to be a common trait of cars now, but it is very noticable in the Mondeo. I also thought it was HUGE - far, far too large for my use
I'm impressed. - Pugugly
It is certainly bigger dimensionally than my last 5 Series - it feels big in a way that the BMW managed not to. As I said in another post the Octavia is far nearer the size this class of car should be, in fact the Octavia reminds me very much of the E39 I once had - dainty I feel the right word is.
I'm impressed. - MikeTorque
The big problem is it's too big, too big to fit in most garages and not the easiest of cars to park in a public car park.

I got hold of one as soon as it arrived at the main Ford dealer what seems like yonks ago now. My first response was it looks like a Volvo at the rear end - oopps. The high sides offer good crash protection but not so good for occupants inside due to limitations of view. It feels large from the inside and this translates on to the road but you soon get use to the size as you do with any motor after a while. There is a lot I like about this car and I was gobsmacked the first time I saw one in Colorado Red on the road, pity Ford have missed a trick by not including a smart Metallic Blue as a colour choice.

Would I buy one ? No thanks, it's too big for my our and overall economics is becoming more and more of a major consideration with fuel & running costs going up and up. I prefer the Focus for everyday driving, plus the economy is a lot better and with the ECOnetic models about to hit the roads it easily wins against the Mondeo.
I'm impressed. - John F
Looks as though they copied my 10yr old Audi A6. The Mondeo is slightly longer, wider and heavier - a good example of how cars seem to 'grow' with each new model!
John F.

Very interesting fact about your Audi! I think the new Polo is actually larger than the orrigional VW Golf. I have actually read that fact.
As regards to Fords, I really think it would be great if they brought back a retro model of the old Angia with the funny sloping back window. That used to look quite cute. I know Ford don't have the money; but they are now certainly doing well with the new Mondeo sales and particularly smaller Fords.
Pugugly.

I always feel that the latest 5 series BMW is a fabulous looking car particularly in shiny black ( I know it is a terrible colour to keep clean and all scratches show up). Even though the 525 D has a much better engine for it, the 520 D is very popular here in Dublin because of taxes.They told me that black is the favourite colour for that car here. I notice that the 520D is an incredibly economical engine. It automatically cuts out when the traffic comes to a halt and they also do a saving when the brakes are applied. I only hope that by cutting out continually and then starting continually in heavy traffic, that it doesn't drastically shorten the life of the engine. They had a Golf that did that some years ago. For years my brother has owned mainly 5 seriesBMWs, he swears by them. He got his last one just before Chris Bangle brought in the new shapein 2003. I think they did some clever changes to the looks of the 5 series very recently.
I'm impressed. - spikeyhead {p}
Its just too big for me, I park my everyday car on the patio behind the house, there's barely enough room to squeeze a mkIII mondeo in there, an extra three inches of width and the extra length would make it almost impossible. If I get it perfect its already a three point turn but usually a five and occasionally a seven point turn. The extra size means that I'll never have a mk IV.
I'm impressed. - rtj70
I was impressed by the new Mondeo but didn't get a test drive in the end for these reasons (no particular order):

- I did not like the Ghia fake wood and the Titanium was not available before I had to order my new car

- There was a big difference each month (company car) for the Mondeo Ghia 2.0 TDCi vs. Mazda6 Sport diesel but the Mondeo was new and the Mazda an outgoing model

- I often park in some Manchester multi-story car parks and the previous model Mondeo which I had was big enough

- Previous model Mondeo got lots of "dings" to doors from other peoples doors opening, e.g. at the gym. Add the extra width and you have a big problem

- I drove the Mazda and both I and my wife really liked it ;-)

Of course from when I ordered the Mazda my allowance went up about £30pm, the Mondeo came down, and with lower emissions closed the gap. But still too big!

And when I think about it the trend for displays between the dials to control everything from the steering wheel is too complicated - what's wrong with some buttons ;-) Have an accident and you'll be done for careless driving.
Have to say I'm a bit worried about parking dings with mine -- no rubbing strips on the doors. Even though it's quite slab-sided, it's only a matter of time before someone bangs their door against it.
I'm impressed. - scouseford
I can't believe that some people use as a criterion when considering which new car to buy the likelihood of the doors being dented in a supermarket car park. For goodness sake, be real.
I'm impressed. - Alby Back
It's probably just me (and I am a Ford fan) but I notice a pattern with the descendents of the venerable Cortina.

The new model always looks a bit disappointing for a while until you get used to it and then gradually they grow on you. I can remember thinking the Sierra was horrible at first until the shape sort of became normal for the time. The early Mondeos looked a bit boring but then did the same trick. The Mk3 seemed positively boring initially but now is fine. The latest model does nothing for me yet but I suspect my view will mellow in time.
I'm impressed. - Statistical outlier
I'm the other way around with this one. I really liked the Mondeo, esp the estate, when it was first launched. Now the more I see it in the flesh, the more it looks like a really nice design that melted when it was left in the oven for too long..

But like you say, it's all subjective - anybody remember the reaction to the Ka when it first came out?
Gordon M.

I find that this new Mondeo has really grown on me. When I first saw it in either dirty black or dirty dark grey I hated the look of the tail lights. I am now well used to it and polished up in a nice colour it actially is pretty modern and good looking. It has dawned on me that a few other competing makes of car are actually also pretty big. I didn't realise that the new Citroen C5 which has superb looks is actually a pretty big car.
I eye it when a company is desperate and very hungry to please and to genuinely take back market share which they lost. Well Ford is like that. The Mondeo has to be a great success,I think it is. They give you more extras and you get a very good spacious car at a very good price. It's insurance group is low. My Seat Toledo TdiSE which I bought towards the end of 1999 is an example. It was made in Belgium in the same factory at that time as the VW Bora. The Bora was nearly 1,000 pounds dearer with the same engine(they changed the Bora engine shortly after to a PD engine). My Toledo had quantities of exrtras and was I thought a better looking car.
At the time Seat was desperately trying to push the Toledo more upmarket in it's segment.
Get a company when it is trying extremely hard!!!!
Get a company when it is trying extremely hard!!!!>>

The Mondeo has been around, in various guises, since 1993...:-)

It's always been a superb driver's car and, over the years, the build quality has been gradually raised (as with other Ford models) to a level that is very commendable.

An alternative is the new Mazda 6 (pretty much the same car for all intents and purposes).

Edited by Stuartli on 03/03/2008 at 23:48

I'm impressed. - Dynamic Dave
For goodness sake be real.

You sound like one of those people who fling their doors open and not worry what damage you'll do to other people's cars. Please tell me that I am wrong.

You may not worry about car park dings, but there are plenty of people that do.
Dynamic Dave.

You are totally right about car park dings. So avoidable, but people are so sloppy and selfish.I always try to park a distance away at supermarkets; but then you get people deliberately parking close to make a point.
So many new cars don't have a propper rubber strip that is useful. My late father's old 1995 Polo had a thick strip down the sides. That car was amazingly solidly built with excellent interior quality( plastcs really lasted).
I looked the other day at a friend's BMW, it had dings all down the side. Wretched people!! I'm not having a go at anyone on this thread. I greatly appreciate all the informative intelligent comments.Big rubber strips probably don't look sexy,so makers go easy on them.
This morning I saw a new Mondeo in the sunlight and it was a slightly off silver colour ( a very light goldy brown metallic),it looked lovely. The other day I saw a brand new shiny black one with a blond business woman driving it. It really looked swish. Just near my home immediately afterwards I saw a filthy black new Mondeo, it looked terrible from the back. Black has to always look polished!!! My present car is a lovely dark indigo blue, terrible to keep clean! I actually fancy the very light sky blue metalic.
I'm impressed. - scouseford
Dave

I am particularly careful about opening my door in car parks and I respect other people's cars as much as I do my own.

My point was that using the likelihood of being a victim of careless drivers seems to be a strange yardstick when considering a new car purchase. Careless (selfish?) drivers are just as likely to ping a Ka as a Mondeo.

For what it's worth I think that the new Mondeo is a superb car (as was its predecessor, the Mk 111).
I'm impressed. - Dynamic Dave
scouseford, in which case I was wrong, and apologise.
I'm impressed. - rtj70
But the reason the Mondeo could get dented so easily is the width of the car vs the width of spaces. My previous model Mondeo fitted in spaces but three inches wider and there a chance it just won't fit in some spaces. Especially with people parking badly, i.e. not in the middle of the bay. You could come back and find you cannot get back in even!

I'm not saying there isn't a place for a car as big as the Mondeo and all the others that have gotten bigger. But they are now even bigger than say en E Class Merc or BMW 5 Series. So I can only assume the next E Class and 5 Series will be even bigger which in turn means bigger S Class and 7 Series. Oh goody.
Recently the part for disk parking on the side of a road in Dublin ( not too narrow a road ) was so tight, that my 1999 Seat Toledo actually had to have the tyres against the pavement and then it barely fitted in. I never normally touch pavements I am truly fanatical about it, but this time I had no choice. I would get a fine if it is outside the line. They need to make spaces wider. Like in America apparently!!
I'm impressed. - Pugugly
Just seen one today in solid white - very smart.
I'm impressed. - splash
I agree with pugugly, I was impressed with the solid white white, so much that I got one, a 1.8 125bhp diesel estate. But it is big, very big. Externally far bigger than my previous mk3 estate, but the load space is not significantly bigger. Reversing it is an art form, and forget tight car parks ! I would recommend the parking sensors. Having owned it for 4 months, it has unfortunately been in the garage for two of those awaiting new wiring looms - apparently a common problem. Once fitted a new ECU was required to get the alarms working. A good drivers car, and with the IVD suspension really comfortable on motorways, and holds the road like glue in the sports setting.

What really impresses me are the lovely comfortable seats and lovely ride also everybody raves about the drivability. It has wonderful space in the back seat for three large adults!! Also a massive boot in the saloon. I wonder if the sporty set up versions have just mildly harder rides, or are they choppy on bad roads. I would go for the soft ride and go a bit slower on twisty roads. I personally think Ford have achieved a lot with this car.
Strange, I haven't seen one in white. Again today I was behind one which had not been washed. It was filthy so it doesn't help it's rear view with those lights. It must be a shiny as possible. I really must get a decent drive in one. It looks great in light silvery blue.

I know this car is a case of make or break for Ford. Personally I think they have done a very good job. A few teething problems have been mentioned both on this and another thread. They must always be taken seriously. If Ford iron out any problems quickly, then it will have been what many other manufacturers also come up against. They have to be efficient and show good customer service.

I have been doing my research, and the new Ford Mondeo is relatively good value in Dublin when put up against the prices of the opposition. You get so many extras with the Mondeo at no extra cost. Excellent comfort with plenty of room. I know it is an extremely comfortable car on a long run. One must go for the 2.0 diesel 140 bhp manual. ( the present automatic chews up much more fuel and uses more CO2s).
With a car like this, one would keep it a long time, then the resale value is not important.

Today I saw one with a big taxi sign on it's roof in Dublin. Very roomy taxi!!!
I'm impressed. - rtj70
As long as you don't miss the extra 2bhp you think the car has. It's about 138bhp or 140PS ;-)
rtj70

That's interesting. Sorry I am ignorant, I don't understand what PS stands for ( They even had it on their price list).
It is interesting that they are supposed to be bring out a 140 auto diesel before long. An auto could be nice with a big car like that. I honestly don't mind manual or auto.The present auto is too thirsty and not powerful enough apparently.
I'm impressed. - rtj70
Cattleman

PS is the German equivalent of bhp and stands for Pferdestärke (Horse Strength):

1 PS = 0.73549875 kW = 0.9863201652997627 bhp

Tiny difference for 140PS but for a Veyron it's a little different.
rtj70.

Thanks very much for letting me know that.

As I mentioned previously I like the light metallic blue or the black if kept very clean. There is a black one and a light goldy metallic one also up my road. I have seen a number of others around. One has to be careful, that silver can become non descript. It looks lovely on Mercedes Sports cars though!! As it is a big car, the choice of colour and the clean pollished look are very important I have noticed.

Genuinely I wonder what the favourite colour for this car is? There are a lot more Mondeos in the UK I am certain. One only sees the odd one here in Dublin. Dark metallic red would be nice. Black is lovely when extremely shiny and the very light metallic blue is nice; but maybe it doesn't show enough presence.It looked good on 5 th Gear. I lived for 18 years in South Africa, almost every car there is white.
I'm only now starting to see a few on the road (around Stockport / Manchester).

The most common colour is that odd greeny-grey shade, Ford call it Thunder Metallic.

Mine's machine silver, which has a hint of blue / grey. This colour is apparently being phased out in favour of a new shade of silver.
craig-pd130.

I found your message interesting. Do you find the suspension is nice and comfortable over bumps? It's probably unwise for me to go for the harder sporty suspension. My wife and I only want the very best ride.
Suddenly today I have seen at least six around Dublin. I think that Thunder Metallic or something very close is very popular here also. I suddenly saw a lot of Mondeos when people were driving home in the evening rush hour. I parked in an underground hotel car park today, I saw a very shiny black Ghia one with lovely very affective alloy wheels. The right alloys are terribly important if the car is black. The black Mondeo really looked lovely today. Of course, a brightly lit underground parking makes it look as if it is in a showroom. I really like the comfy seats and the nice interior in the Mondeo. I have decided that it is definitely the best value car here in Dublin for the money. Cars are an appalling price here; but the Mondeo is reasonable when compared to it's competitors.
I must get a test drive soon. I look forward to it, as I felt extremely comfortable sitting in the drivers seat. As I am a little under six feet, I was able to slightly lower the seat and still get an excellent view. We need good seating for five people.I found that the seat in the middle of the back had plenty of room and was comfortable despite as always the back of the middle seat is actually an armrest pushed up. On the Mondeo it is still nice and soft for the back.A lot of cars have hard middle rear seats which I don't like. My wife is also very interested in buying the Mondeo for my next car. My present car is getting pretty old.

As I am genuinely interested in buying this car, does anyone know if the hi-fi system etc are any good. Being a classical musician, I like to listen to piano and cello concertos on long runs. I like the idea of getting a 6 CD autochanger included. I would definitely ask about getting the parking sensors. On such a large car it would be easy to knock a child or an elderly person when backing out of a supermarket parking place. It is like lambs to the slaughter, someone always walks close to the bumper when one is trying to back out slowly. I have been lucky so far, but one never knows!!

Edited by Pugugly on 08/03/2008 at 07:28

I'm impressed. - Pugugly
If you love your music that much I would install an aftermarket head unit and speakers (more essentially) get one with an MP3 or USB input - CD autochangers are very last century.
Cattleman -- I have the standard suspension & wheels on mine (2.0 TDCI zetec estate), and on my test drive the version I drove had standard suspension too.

It soaks up road bumps, potholes and broken surfaces very, very well, far better than my previous Passat which would thump, crash and jar over the same roads. In terms of refinement, body control, and suppression of road noise it is streets ahead.

Comfort-wise, I'm 6 foot and found it very easy to get a position that suits me. The steering wheel adjusts for reach & rake, and the seat has a very wide range of adjustment. The only niggle I have is that the squab can't be tilted ... I was spoilt by a Volvo many years ago, still the very best car seats I've ever experienced.

I didn't hear the standard stereo, I ordered the Sony 6CD in-dash changer (£200 extra). It sounds good in the car, very open sound, clear midrange. MP3 player connector is standard. One niggle -- no cassette option!

Overall, I am very pleased with it.
craig-pd130.

Thanks for all the information, the car sounds excellent. I am just puzzled why one can't tilt the seat squab. They give you so much and yet stop at that. You can do everything with my Seat Toledo seat from the end of 1999. It has pages and pages of amazing extras. Everything still works and it has done beteen 153,000 and 154,000 miles. Still 60 mpg plus on long runs.
The Ford Mondeo is an excellent and extremely comfortable car though. As I mentioned, it is amazing value for money when put up against the opposition ( particularly here in very expensive Ireland).Lots of people buy upmarket cars in the U.K. and get them shipped over to the Irish Republic. If anything big goes wrong with them you really get caught out financially often.Buying a new Mondeo here makes more sense and is a lot safer with genuine guarantees. Someone I know about in the UK came badly unstuck with an upmarket second hand car.My brother who has lived donkeys of years in the UK used to always buy upmarket second hand as he always lives and works in England. He never had trouble though.You just have to be extremely careful. A neighbour of mine brought over from England to Dublin a 2002 second hand BMW 225 i Petrol. It is a lovely car of course.

I am amazed since I last wrote in this thread, that the new Mondeo is really taking off with sales in Dublin ( Hardly surprising because you get an excellent car etc at a very good price with lots of included extras in comparisson to some rivals. It is also the " Semprit Car of the Year" here). Most are an off grey colour and some are black. In the rain this morning I saw one in a special dark red metallic colour, that looked superb. I would say that is the nicest colour!! I had to lough they are advertising the Mondeo 1.6 petrol. Far too much heavy car for that engine surely!!! I would get a 2.0 litre 140 diesel !!!! Ford is about the most popular car over here ( mainly the smaller cars). Toyota are always neck and neck with Ford for top sales. There are an enormous number of VW passats here also.