Oil Specification ILSAC GF-3 - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
This question is mainly aimed at Oilman.
My new Hyundai requires ILSAC GF-3 , 5W-30 engine oil for all conditions.
A new description to me- what does that mean?
Also mentions API SJ, SL or above which I have heard of.
Oil Specification ILSAC GF-3 - Hamsafar
I'm no oilman, but IIRC, the ILSAC specs are to do with limits on the amounts of metal-ion based anti-wear additives in the oil which are considered to render modern exhaust gas treatment systems useless.
Oil Specification ILSAC GF-3 - quizman
GWS, you have gone from a car whose oil specs everyone knows!!!!! to a car, which having googled the oil specs, I still can't understand.

A pal, of a mate of mine's brother in law, says 10W-40 is the answer to everthing. Don't listen.

Sorry I'm not much help.
After searching for several days, I have found that Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil is what I needed.
Ordered from Opie Oils as their web site came up trumps. (No connection with company)
GWS, I think you will find that the Magnatec you mention is semi synthetic. It is the Edge oils which are synthetic.
So the question is: should it be Castrol Edge 5W-30 (which is the VW/Audi 507.00 spec oil) or Castrol Magnatec 5W-30? (which is the Ford recommended oil)

I've just looked on the Opie site and I think the friend who recommends 10W-40 for everthing might just be right on this occasion.

Which model of Hyundai is it ?
Oil Specification ILSAC GF-3 - jc2
The Ford recommended oil is semi-synthetic 5W/30 but not necessarily Castrol.The Ford oil is Ford Formula E and it's made by Texaco.
'Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil' is the Opie web site description and it is described as meeting ILSAC GF-3.
I am maybe too trusting I'm afraid. We'll see what arrives, but it is only for top ups.
I have looked on the Opie site and cannot find where they say that Magnatec is synthetic. It is not synthetic, it is semi synthetic, on this I am certain.
The Opie site recommends 10W-40 for most Hyundais, but I would go by what the handbook says as Opie gets it wrong on some things.
I have just looked on the Opie site again and you are right, they do say that Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 is synthetic.
They are wrong on this, look on the Castrol site and they will tell you that it is semi- synthetic. Which proves my point about Opie making mistakes on their site recommendations, I have spotted several.

Come on Oilman get it right.

Sorry to doubt you GWS, but the oil you have bought looks as if it is the correct one. But it is semi- synthetic!!!
I've just looked on the Castrol site, it says that Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 is -

>>>"Castrol Magnatec combines Intelligent Molecules with fully synthetic technology"

This does not mean that it is full synthetic, Castrol are being naughty with words to their discredit.
Oil Specification ILSAC GF-3 - oilrag
you would think if molecules in oils were really intelligent they would clump together in the sump and not let themselves get caught between the rings and bores.....;)

Edited by oilrag on 01/03/2008 at 14:12

Oil Specification ILSAC GF-3 - nortones2
With age and experience, they do. Reform themselves into longer chains until they take time out from the hot spots:)
Oil received. Labelling implies that the oil is made especially for Fords.
My Hyundai feels insulted. ;>)
I noticed some of the Magnatec 5W-30 in Makro yesterday, it said ILSAC GF-3 on the label. I thought of you GWS!! It was £21+VAT for 4litres.

I bought some Castrol Edge 5W-30 for my 2 VWs. It was £34.99 +VAT = £41.11.

They have quite a good selection of Castrol oils at Makro, for those of us who like Castrol.

I would have thought that your Hyundai would be privileged to use Ford recommended oil, what would Cheddar say?