Do you want to sell it to me - what would you do? - MGspannerman
Circumstances have changed and we have decided we need a bigger car with more carrying capacity, whilst still ticking the reliability/economy boxes. Having scanned EBay and Autotrader found a very nice vehicle, quite local as it happens. Went to take a look saturday afternoon and all checks out - service history, condition, equipment/toys etc. Discussed the opportunity for a trade-in against my present vehicle and a figure was suggested, but as the particular spec was not listed in the Glasses guide the proprietor said that he would ring round the trade to confirm the price and call me monday afternoon and I left my contact details accordingly. No call, and so I called yesterday afternoon "he's with a client, and will call you back later" and left my number - again no call.

I was working at home yesterday and again today, I can in principle pop over right now and do the deal with cash on the spot. But should I? They have not returned my calls, and seem disinterested despite my obvious buying signals (yes, I've been on the courses, done the sales job etc). If this is their attitude now, what might it be like if there is a problem with the car three months down the road? My view is that this is not the only car in the world and another good deal will come along in due course. Would you persist and give it one last shot in the window of opportunity I have today? I am not inclined to do so despite the fact I like the car and can live with the numbers indicated, it is really a matter of trust and confidence.

MGs
Do you want to sell it to me - what would you do? - Saltrampen
If you didn't get a mechanical inspection done (unless you are very confident with workings of Cars) and if he does not contact you very soon, probably not worth it.
If it is a main dealer and you get 1 years full warranty maybe worth going for it as it could just be salesman apathy rather than a dodgy garage.
I have seen a salesguy get an offer of interest then use that fact during the next few days to pressurise other potential buyers to up their offers. If he gets no interest during the week, he may well ring you back with some excuse about being busy/sick and may want to do a deal. In reply you should get prices of other similar cars from other garages, to show that you have several options as well or just say he was too late.
I have also seen one salesguy bend over backwards to help a client and another not care at all about selling cars at the same garage - so not always an indication of what the garage is like for repairs.
Do you want to sell it to me - what would you do? - madf
Walk away.

It may be unsold 2 months on: if so go back and screw them.
In the meantime, there are lots of other cars.

I don't like pushy salesmen but neither do I believe in paying lazy liars.

Do you want to sell it to me - what would you do? - Bill Payer
I find very few people return calls. In fact, the only time I leave a message for someone to call me back is if I'd rather not talk to them.
Do you want to sell it to me - what would you do? - 1066
id just walk away. life's too short to deal with these messers
Do you want to sell it to me - what would you do? - ForumNeedsModerating
As the cars fits & checks out , as you suggest, it would be a shame perhaps to write-off the dealer so promptly. Maybe he, as he is the proprietor, genuinely had pressing issues and/or hadn't got feedback on your p/ex from others. There could very well have a better 'prospect' for the sale he was cultivating - you can't blame them for wanting to maximise profit after all.

I can understand the slight feeling of rejection (even from a car dealer!) - that's human after all. I've got a fairly thick skin when it comes to business matters - often been the case that I've felt the same as you, but held back on the toys-out-the-pram reaction (not saying you react like this of course!) & things have workerd out nicely.

I'd be pragmatic though - keep looking for other candidates & keep this on the shortlist - I wouldn't be tempted to ring back - you'll perhaps seem a bit too keen (=bigger profit for them) - they've got your details, let them do the work.
Do you want to sell it to me - what would you do? - SteVee
If he's not chasing you up - then it's probably not a great deal for him.
But that *may* mean it's a good deal for you - only you can decide really.
If I get a salesperson chasing me up, I usually think it's because I'm about to get fleeced.

I'm not convinced that you can equate to poor pre-sales performance to poor after-sales.

Personally, I'd go back and see what deal I could get with the cash in my pocket.

Good Luck.