Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - harryhammer
Looking for a cheap new or nearly new runabout for SWMBO. Will be used for only a minimal mileage per day but due to her working hours needs a reliable car. Also required to carry our twin 4 years olds.
Options I'm looking at.
Citroen C1
FIAT Panda
Ford Ka 1.3i
Peugeot 107
Toyota Aygo
Hyundai Getz
Your opinions or alternatives would be appreciated.

All can be bought for £6000 and under with different amounts of spec. I guess the Ka and Panda will have the most spec but does this make them the better car to buy ?

Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - MGspannerman
From what I remember of getting youngsters in and out of cars 5 doors is infinitely preferable to three, there is all that fiddling about with straps/belts and then occasional mopping up, nose blowing, drinks so ease of access does help. My wife has a yaris and is delighted with it. You can get a very good slightly secondhand one for that sort of money, as my mother did, and our experience of Toyota reliability and running costs is very good.

MGs
No too worried about the mopping up etc as the kids probably won't be in the car that long and if any longer journeys, the New Laguna will be used.
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Getz. Bigger boot than the Citroen/Toyota/Peugeot trio and 5 doors unlike the Ka.
SWMBO bought a Getz in preference to a Yaris as it was much better equipped for thousands less. Air conditioning as standard.
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - rtj70
The Ka is very old now - a 8 years in production I think and still popular.

There is a new one out very soon based on the Panda/Fiat 500 and will be built alongside the Fiat 500. Can you wait to see what that will cost?
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - daveyjp
Also agree that 5 doors is easier.

When we were looking for a runabout for my wife we went for an Aygo + which is very well specced - only extra we wanted was aircon.

The shortest car possible was an important requirement for us, so Getz etc were too big.

Quite a few on autotrader with low mileage for under £6,000.

Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - DP
I'm normally one of the people singing the praises of Ford, but I wouldn't buy a Ka. We have two in our family - a StreetKa and a standard Ka1 with the old pushrod Endura engine (now replaced with a more modern OHC unit on new models). Both are constantly going wrong. The StreetKa has persistent engine management problems, guzzles fuel, has heater issues, misfires and flat spots, and the build quality is disgraceful. The fuel pump burnt out, the crank sensor failed, and at 40k everything rattles and creaks like an old van. There's also paint rubbing off the door pillars where the doors have dropped, the boot release has packed up, the alarm goes haywire - it's an endless list. Rubbish car.

The older Ka is better, but is so cheaply built it goes beyond charming. Every nut bolt and screw is of the cheapest quality imaginable, the front suspension seems to need rebushing annually, and the cylinder head is literally rotting from the outside in. That also has had two heater valves, and the downpipe had rotted to the manifold meaning that the whole lot, complete with cat had to be changed. The quality of the components fitted to the car as much as the way they are assembled is just shocking.

On the plus side, they are ace to drive. Really, really good fun. But I wouldn't recommend one, particularly as a keeper.

Cheers
DP
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - Happy Blue!
Only obvious car not mentioned is the Mitsubishi Colt, which is very spacious. Otherwise would second Panda or Getz choices.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thanks for the feedback people !

Ford have some cracking deals and I can get a Ka Zetec Climate including quickclear windscreen, privacy glass and metallic for under £6k and I have heard they are a hoot to drive as DP mentioned. However the build quality is a worry but it will have a warranty and I would sell before it expired.

The Panda is an option but not sure SWMBO would like the van like looks etc, but it does have 5 doors.

The Getz is a outsider as the SWMBO is a bit of a badge snob and I am a little worried about how hard it would be to move on when we decide to change.

C1, 107 and Aygo do come in 5 door but cost that bit more and the boot is almost useless I believe, but she likes the looks and badge......

"boot is almost useless"

You can't have a very short car and a large boot. It's more than adequate for a runabout. There is a full size spare under the boot floor/rear seats which is unusual in these days of skinny spares, runflats and puncture sealant.
Useful information about the spares etc, thanks. Had not taken that into consideration.
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - Stuartli
The Ka is very old now - a 8 years in production I think and still popular.>>

It's a lot more than eight years (at least 12) - but it's still a pretty good driver's car, being based on a Fiesta chassis.
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - Ed V
Why the small cars only? I think a Focus is much better value [should be some great bargains with the new one just out, if you wait a month or so], or a Corolla or Civic. MPG won't be much different, no insurance depending on the engine.
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - grumpy100
Have you thought about a Grande Punto. Our local dealer is offering pre registered ones at about 6300, I suspect a bit of haggling would improve that further. They have plenty of room, and unlike anything on your list are 5 star euroNCAP, which I think you may considr as your wife and kids will be travelling in it.
Why the small cars only? I think a Focus is much better value [should be
some great bargains with the new one just out if you wait a month or
so] or a Corolla or Civic. MPG won't be much different no insurance depending on
the engine.

Let me assure you you can't run a Focus for the same cost as an Aygo/C1. Petrol is one cost which on low mileages is marginal (but 30mpg compared to 45mpg is significant), but tax, insurance, servicing, tyres, brakes are all more expensive on a Focus.

Another car I've thought of but haven't a clue about, a neighbour has one and it looks OK, is the Proton Savvy - bit bigger than a C1, bit smaller than Getz, but cheap enough to buy.
Which new option would you recommend for SWMBO - Pugugly.
1996 the Ka.....tooling up an development costs must have more than paid for themselves.
Update for you all.
We have agreed a deal for a Nov 06 Micra 5dr 1.2 Spirita with 9k miles for £5800 in silver.
I was very surprise at the comfort and the 1.2 appears to be quite spirited.
took ot for a lengthy test drive, on town, A road and dual carriageway and appears to be ideal for our needs.

Thanks for all your suggestions.