2003 1.2 16V - How to check coil pack is ok - horatio
I'd like to know if there is any electrical test I can do to check the coil pack is functioning as it should.

And how does the diagnostic tool used at dealers tell if the engine is knocking? I mean what physical electrical test does it perform to know this?

My reason for testing is that mpg is not what I expected, it should be 54mpg urban, I got 44mpg. car is 2003 (53 reg) 1.2 16V

Also what is the best constant speed to do to get the best MPG? Someone said a Ford focus/fiesta whatever said in the manual the car is most economic at 70mph, I find that difficult to believe.

cheers

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/11/2008 at 19:40

'53 1.2 16V - How to check coil pack is ok - Screwloose

Government figures are like Government promises..... You didn't believe them....?

If the coilpack was failing, you'd get the MIL on and a code. The knock sensor is read in live data.

The best speed for economy must be around 35 [airspeed] in top - wind drag increases at the square of speed.
'53 1.2 16V - How to check coil pack is ok - topbloke
knock has no bearing on fuel consumption the sensor is bolted directly to the block and listens to the detination of the fuel if it senses knock/early detination then it will retard the ignition untill it go's away then will advance the timing until it experiance's the knock again fuel consumption is all down to how you drive, fuel quality,air tempreture weather conditions etc if you are getting 44mpg well done
just re-read your post, the knock sensor is packed with crystalls this is bolted to the engine to a very specific torque to crush the crystalls, when knock is heard by the sensor the crystalls vibrate which in turn sends a signal to the engine ecu then as above post
'53 1.2 16V - How to check coil pack is ok - White_wolf
Have you checked your driving style???

Air filter? Sparkies? Fuel filter?

To be honest you may just need to give it a service or possibly a run on the motorway - I'm lead to believe that the ECU 'learn' whether its in my head or not but mine feels better after a motorway run.
'53 1.2 16V - How to check coil pack is ok - unhappycorsaowner
et rid mate ive got a 55 reg sxi corsa 30k miles and camshaft has snapped
possible mass air flow starting to fail but 44 to the gallon go you