97 1.9TD -- How to Tighten the fan/alternator Belt - kristianc4
my alternator belt keeps sweaking when it is cold and need tightening its well embarrising. but i had a look and like on my old corsa it was on a rale but on this engine i cant find it and at the top of the alternator its just bolts.

any ideas. thanks

{year picked up from a previous post}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/02/2008 at 18:32

1.9 TD -- How to Tighten the fan/alternator Belt - Armitage Shanks {p}
www.37245.co.uk/product.php?product=584 has all the gen!
1.9 TD -- How to Tighten the fan/alternator Belt - thomp1983
there's a roller sit's on the belt, in the middle of the roller is 1 allen key bolt, lower down is another allen key bolt and then upside down on the bottom is another allen key bolt, there all 6mm iirc loosen the top too, then the bottom one winds out to tighten the belt, do not over tighten it it'll damage the bearing in the pulley. also use a proper allen key not a ball ended one or a bit that fits a ratchet as the bolts will be rusted and seized and if you round them of you've got serious problems

and as has already been said, buy a haynes manual as alot of your questions are just general service bits

chris

Edited by thomp1983 on 22/02/2008 at 16:01

1.9 TD -- How to Tighten the fan/alternator Belt - kristianc4
hiya i tried my best to lossen the top two allan key bolts but it not budging tried sprayin wd40 onit. nothin. any ideas.

oh when you said winds out to tighten the belt. do you mean losen it as going anticlockwise if your lookin at the face of the bolt. thanks
1.9 TD -- How to Tighten the fan/alternator Belt - thomp1983
if you mean the bottom one where the head faces the floor then i can't remember which way it turns, but it's fairly obvious as the bolt will either wind in away from the tensioner or out to thus tensioning the belt.

as for loosening the other two bolts, have you tried extending the allen key to get more leverage? you can put an 8mm(i think) socket over the end of the allen key then a extension bar on the socket, the extra 6 inches that should give should do it, but be careful to make sure the allen key is seated properly in the bolt head so you don't round it off

chris
1.9 TD -- How to Tighten the fan/alternator Belt - RichardW
I use a hammer with a hollow metal shaft to give the extra leverage required to get those allen screws undone - but as mentioned, make sure the allen key is well seated (hammer it in!) before you try.

To tighten the belt you need to move the tensioner downwards ie you effectively need to unscrew the tension screw on the bottom.

One question though - does this car have air con? That changes things....