1996 TD - All sorts of problems! - Bennion
Hi all. First time poster.

Having some typical maintainance situations with my 306 td, which has 100k on it. I am really looking for easy and cheap ways to sort them, since im skint!

Firstly, My brakepads have worn down, only really on the drivers side, They have done about 400 miles since I noticed the noise and there is a rough part around the outer part of the disc where I believe it has been metal on metal breaking. Does this mean I need new discs also? and will it have also affected the calipers? I am also intrested as to how much of a difficult job changing them would be. Im more than happy to try my hand with a manual, since labour costs could be my downfall.

After attending Knowsley Safari Park, involving a distruckive monkey, my windscreen wipers and a heavy downpour on the way home, I now have 2 quite thick but light scratch makrs on my windscreen, in part entering into zone 1 of visibility. Is it possible to get them polished out enough to pass an MOT and what is the likely charge for any products or labour needed to do so?

I have a rumbling knocking noise coming from my drivers side front wheel when I make sharp turns, the car also begins to feel quite bumpy when this happens. In addition I feel it to have a very choppy ride on poor road surfaces. In regards to the knocking whilst turning, Further reading leads me to believe this is either the steering pump or rack, my question is will it pass an MOT with this problem.

In regards to the knocky/choppy ride on poor road, is this something other TD drivers have noticed, or is this simply a problem with my vehicle, and what is it!!!!

It also sounds very much like a tractor. It is very loud and makes a clinky noise when ticking over, is this something that can be solved at all?

Thanks for reading all this, if you have bothered, and further thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

cheers

bennion

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2008 at 19:06

Pug 306 TD (96) All sorts of problems! - thomp1983
firstly welcome,

q1, likely to need both pads and discs if there has been metal on metal contact, both can be had for around £50, diy fitting is pretty straight forward, only point of concern is if the pad is significantly more worn on the drivers side then the caliper may be sticking on, this can usually be solved will careful cleaning and greasing of the caliper and working back and forth of the piston, this should be applied to both calipers though as a matter of course when changing pads.

q2, window screen is likely to need replacing, if your fully comp on insurance then it should be about £50 or probably nearer £100 if you have to use a private firm out of yellow pages

q3, this could be several things, 306's are well known for being hard on suspension components, but the also get through driveshafts and cv joints and based on the description it could be any of those, best bet is to get the front end jacked up and have a good pull on the components to see which items are worn, very much doubt it's a rack or pump issue. but at a guess id say the p bush on the wishbone is failing, if so it's easier and cheaper to replace the entire wishbone at about £40

q4, most 306 turbo diesels are quite tractorish at idle so it's probably nothing untoward, the clinky noise could be loose downpipe exhaust bolts, or even just a lose jubilee clip somewhere

chris