1997 1.9 DT - Electrical Problems,Warning Lamp - kristianc4
Hiya i got a p reg 306, and i was doin about 80mph and that red light came on that hawesy1982 was on about in the following thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17099

but i would describe it as a pan lid lieing on a wavey line wiv two seperate wavey lines underneath it.

But at the same time my stop light came on but lit up dim(not like normal illumination) and my speedo and temp gauge stoped working.

Now my stop light (dim) and the panlid wavey line light are both constantly on all the time.

And when i rag it and go fast it cuts out and have to start my engine again.

I checked my fuse and fuse number 12 which is a 10amp is blone and i tried butting a new fuse in and it kept blowing and i tried a 15amp aswel and that blew.

Can anyone know what is going on and help me fix and sort this problem out please.

Thank-you

{Shouting amended}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/02/2008 at 00:22

1997 1.9 DT - Eletrical Problems,Warning Lamp - thomp1983
if it's the same light then the conclusion in the post suggests it's the low coolant level sensor, if so then first stop is to check there is actually coolant in there, but i have known a few of these sensors to fail or be inaccurate. the dim light issue, id be tempted to check the main earths for the engine, they are known to fail and can give weird results including cutting out

chris
1997 1.9 DT - Eletrical Problems,Warning Lamp - Screwloose
If it cuts out when you go "rag it and go fast" then treat it more kindly - it's an old-tech diesel not a sports car.

When did it last have a fuel filter and have you ever run it on "bio-diesel?"

Re-boot the display by pulling the shunt marked "HS" in the fusebox with the key on and see if that helps the instrument issue.

Edited by Screwloose on 21/02/2008 at 19:37

1997 1.9 DT - Eletrical Problems,Warning Lamp - adverse camber
I say DD has patience in excess of a saint.
1997 1.9 DT - Eletrical Problems,Warning Lamp - kristianc4
i have found out now the reason it cut out is because it was low on fuel and im used to old petrol where it jerks. it does not cut out now i put half a tank in. this car is new to me and my first diesel.

and i have checked the coolant and its full, do you know where the sensor is for the low coolant level is please.

and would you know why fuse number 12 keeps blowing everytime i put a new one in. would it be short circuiting somewhere and ifso would anyone have any ideas.

thanks

1997 1.9 DT - Eletrical Problems,Warning Lamp - Screwloose

There are six different fuse layouts on those; [look in the handbook] but if it's a 30-fuse box, then that fuse does the instruments, reverse lights and water-in-diesel sensor.

Check the wiring to the reverse switch on the gearbox.
this is what it says in the manual what the fuse does.

Instruments panel warning lamps, coolant level sensor XUD9TE, overspeeding buzzer, dim-dip relay, dim-dips, reversing lamps, catalitic converter overheating warning lamp, alarm
1997 1.9 DT - Eletrical Problems,Warning Lamp - thomp1983
well logic would say as the low coolant light is on, and that is the fuse playing up they are linked. the sensor is a small plastic square, it's on the front (bumper side) of the coolant tank on the left of the radiator, you can fit your hand down to it if you push the rad of it's spring clips carefully, you won't be able to remove the sensor as it would leave a hole in the bottle, but you can unplug it, then try a new fuse and see if the problems are solved

chris
thanks people, found out the problem it was the past owners wiring near the bumber two wires was touching causing the malfunction.