'52 1.6 SOHC Full Beam /flash not working - redviper
Hi all ? I call on your expertise

I have yet another issue with my Astra, just recently the full beam (forward on, and flash) have stopped working I parked the car overnight at work, whilst on a business trip recently where temperatures dropped down to about -4, and when I picked up at night the following evening I started to drive my car, and put it into full beam ? the full beam warning light, and the lights (full beam not dipped) started to flicker, and would flash , I switched off full beam and pulled the stalk back (flash) and it did the same sometimes not illuminating at all, however you can hear the relay clicking ? now either full beam, or flash (inc warning light on dash) fail to illuminate however when pulling the stick back you can hear what I assume to be the relay clicking

TBH I have been totally disappointed with this version of the Astra, I have had issues with clattering hydraulic valve lifters, the thermostat is gone ? because the temp gage barely comes out of the cold zone, and when the car is cold it?s so sluggish, and clumsy.
I can?t replace the thermostat myself because instead of putting it next to or near the radiator they have hidden it at the back under the timing belt cover
Setting off when the car does get warm is no better, set of in first then the seems to be no power, and then suddenly it surges forward, its just not smooth, I used to own a MK1 Astra and have never experienced anything like this (apart from the engine running cool, which I could do the thermo myself as it was at the top of the engine bay next to the rad ? very easy to do)
I don?t like the way you have to replace the bulbs at the back by removing the entire light cluster from the back of car instead of removing the bulb holders out of the back.
The Car has only done 40K and full serviced to, I expected a lot better from Vauxhall TBH
(Sorry didn?t mean to rant) LOL!

I really appreciate any help - Thanks in advance

{typo amended}

Edited by Webmaster on 22/02/2008 at 10:05

Astra '52 1.6 SOHC Full Beam /flash not working - Dynamic Dave
Start with the basics. I take it the fuse for high beam isn't blown?

Could well be the indicator stalk has failed (not uncommon). It's a relatively cheap part, and fairly easy to change. Just undo the steering column shroud and the stalk is released by squeezing in the two retaining clips. Disconnect the multiplug, then refitting is the reversal of removal.

Re: heating problem. This engine is renound for running too cool. It uses the same cooling system that the larger engines in Astra's use. A work around is to block off the lower part of the radiator with some lino (or other waterproof material). Basically the area on the lower part of the front bumper behind the number plate.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2008 at 13:54

Astra '52 1.6 SOHC Full Beam /flash not working - redviper
Hi ? Dave, thanks for your reply

The indicators still work fine, and when pulling back the stick to flash , I hear a clicking sound that doesn?t appear to come from the stalk I?m guessing that this is the relay ? I haven?t checked the fuses yet ? because according to my Haynes manual I have to remove this storage tray (with door) located on the right hand side just underneath the light switches then withdraw the fuse box out of its holder ? just to access it, don?t fancy doing it, but I can give it ago, I just don?t want to cause anymore damage.

if these engines are runing to cool, is this going to lead to increased wear?

Astra '52 1.6 SOHC Full Beam /flash not working - Number_Cruncher
>>set of in first then the seems to be no power, and then suddenly it surges forward, its just not smooth

Two things;

1) Clean around the throttle valve, making sure that all traces of gum and gunk are removed

2) Get the ECU software updated to the latest version - it makes a BIG difference (not least by disabling the EGR)

"Get the ECU software updated to the latest version - it makes a BIG difference (not least by disabling the EGR)"

Thanks
how do i do that? do dealers do it for you at a cost?
Astra '52 1.6 SOHC Full Beam /flash not working - Number_Cruncher
>>do dealers do it for you at a cost?

Yes
Astra '52 1.6 SOHC Full Beam /flash not working - Dynamic Dave
The indicators still work fine

They will do. It's a separate part of the switch.
when pulling back the stick to flash I hear a clicking sound that doesn?t appear to come from the stalk I?m guessing that this is the relay

That *could* suggest the stalk is ok. I take it one headlight wasn't already blown (easy not to notice unless doing a visual light check) and now the other main beam bulb has blown?

? I haven?t checked the fuses yet

Piece of cake to do. The storage tray comes out quite easily just by turning the 4 locking screws with a coin.
if these engines are runing to cool is this going to lead to increased wear?

Not sure, but blocking off part of the radiator is an easier fix than replacing the thermostat. Several people have mentioned it over on vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2008 at 19:18

Thanks. ill see if i can get to the fuses, and report back :-)
Hi Fuse looks fine, while "testing" it looks like one of the bulbs has gone, so im guessing that it was on its way out, wich may have casued it go wierd

I remeber my alternator whent on my Cavalier and instead of just lighting the battery warning light it casued the dash to light up like blackpool illiminations with all manner of warning lights coming on, i didnt realise it at the time but a electrical imbalance casues all manner of weird things, so im hopeing thats what this is - i will change the bulbs and report back though

Many thanks

Edited by redlightzone on 23/02/2008 at 16:44