1995, 316i compact auto starter relay cannot find - Davva
We got an M reg 316i compact Auto with a cracked head/overheating etc which the previous owner took a best guess at & replaced the head gasket but without success.

I invested in a nice bit of kit to pressure test the water system, which showed it was knackered + a chemical device to show combustion elements in the water.

We managed to get a good engine off a manual 316i for silly money & all we had to do was remove the bearing from the crank & swop starter ring so that the auto box would engage.

When fitted, it refused to turnover so I buzzed the wiring out & found ?zero volts? at the starter terminal on the starter motor.

note: My colleague believes he may have earthed the wire by accident whilst trying to start the engine.

The Haynes manual was adamant that there was a starter relay in series with an inhibitor switch (on Auto?s) but we could not locate either, looked in the relay fuse box & behind the panels above driver & passenger foot wells, where all we found was junction boxes with the side rails for relays but no relays fitted.

We took a wire from the ignition switch direct to the starter motor solenoid & it started immediately.

Does anybody know where the starter relay & auto box start inhibitor switch is?

1995, 316i compact auto starter relay cannot find - Screwloose

It's listed as the top relay on fascia relay plate #2. Relays rarely fail; so check all the wiring to the gearbox has been replaced correctly and that no fuses have been blown..
1988 320i auto starter relay cannot find - cedoze
hi dawa
I have a very loved 320i convertible from 1988 auto
I do have the same probleme as you faced , like you i've got The Haynes manual but after checking all fuses and managed to start the engine by bypassing the starer i cannot find anything faulty
And no trace of that blo.dy starter inhibitor switch
Did you find any thing so far
What i know for a fact is i did hearthed the ignition switch as i was changing the lock barrel , what a donkey i've been
thanks for any help you could give